Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Jul 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #1,261 of 4,845
I think that Sennheiser selling the HD-6XX could be looked at as cashing in on a known product that still most likely sells in pretty good numbers but I gotta believe even Sennheiser was a bit staggard by the numbers they have sold of these through Massdrop .
Now the HD-58X jubilee although most is from a design being used from the early 90s the drivers are supposed to be unique to the model and not a lot of us dove in blindly but with what I would consider mostly positive reviews another drop they would sell better .
And if they made an HD800 drop with A price like $599 which they could do now that the 820 and ,800s are their flagships that would do quite well for them .

I understand they need to make their R&D costs back with higher prices but once they have made that back offering decent deals to the community that has supported them all these years is a win win situation

Selling thousands at once and getting them in the hands of owners right away is actually a better situation for Sennheiser. It funds their R&D and builds word of mouth advertising. Basically, the Kickstarter route.

The problem is they don’t want to alienate their customers who paid the higher price. They should continue making new models for Massdrop which aren’t available elsewhere.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,262 of 4,845
Selling thousands at once and getting them in the hands of owners right away is actually a better situation for Sennheiser. It funds their R&D and builds word of mouth advertising. Basically, the Kickstarter route.

The problem is they don’t want to alienate their customers who paid the higher price. They should continue making new models for Massdrop which aren’t available elsewhere.

What I'd like to see is Sennheiser say ".....we're MAKING an HD 66xS for Massdrop and sell it for $200. And it'll be BETTER than the 660S. If you old customers don't like it, too bad. We did things the old way up to now and if you don't get with the program you get left by the side of the road."

If the headphone community flocks to Massdrop at least it will keep some HI-FI money out of Amazon and other large juggernaut retailers hands and I think that's a very big take away from this business model.

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #1,263 of 4,845
Got mine on saturday. Have them playing music and listening periodically every now and then.

Other than the HD497, this is the only Senn headphone that I own. It did surprise me with the bass. I didnt expect the extension or the quantity to be honest, and while not having the quantity of the nighthawk, it still surprised me. I like it.

Clamp is a bit tight, but not as bad as I expected it to be, and I like the fact that its nice and light and seems well built.

I think its well worth it in my opinion. even the extra I had to pay to get it to me. Maybe the best bargain in terms of headphones that I have ever bought.

Will do a comparo to the nighthawk when I get the chance.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,264 of 4,845
What I'd like to see is Sennheiser say ".....we're MAKING an HD 66xS for Massdrop and sell it for $200. And it'll be BETTER than the 660S. If you old customers don't like it, too bad. We did things the old way up to now and if you don't get with the program you get left by the side of the road."

If the headphone community flocks to Massdrop at least it will keep some HI-FI money out of Amazon and other large juggernaut retailers hands and I think that's a very big take away from this business model.

Amazon just does what every good business should do, utilizing bulk purchases to lower cost of products. That's Massdrop's exact business model, only they make people pay way ahead of time to minimize their risk. As I stated before, the best way for businesses to work is to sell products directly to consumers. Don't pay middlemen to do a small job (and we aren't in a period of time where those businesses are 'selling' the product anymore) and add a bunch of cost onto your product. Sell it directly, pay the employees yourself and price things accordingly.

Anywaysssss...I hope they do some more high end models with Sennheiser. I think these mid-range models are sort of the perfect models to focus on, though. Unless Massdrop can get the 800 series headphones way under $500, they won't get enough purchasers to warrant doing their own model. I'd have to look over the Focal drops and check numbers, but pretty sure they didn't sell much by comparison.

Jul 9, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #1,265 of 4,845
Haven't done a lot of A-B testing against my current lineup as I was away from the house a lot last week after they were delivered, but I just can't stop listening to these. I do miss the mids of the HD 6XXs, but the extra bass of these is a nice change of pace and overall they are just super enjoyable and engaging to listen to. Just had my first truly blown away moment though and am officially sold on these. Just driving them off of my LG G7 while at work I played "Hey Mami" by Sylvan Esso and the bass/drop blew my mind. I had to question my sanity, was I really hearing $150 headphone being driven by a smartphone?! I had actually cancelled joining this drop back in December, but am so glad I didn't miss getting to pick these up when the drop popped back up. If/when massdrop does another drop of these I will be pointing friends and family toward these as my go to recommendation for people looking to get into higher end cans.

Jul 9, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #1,266 of 4,845
I got these pretty quickly as I was located in the East Coast where NJ is. Shipped Fri, received on Tues.

The box these come in are pretty small, just enough size to fit the headphones. I've had the HD650 in the past with huge box that it comes with the foam insert that keeps the headphone nicely protected. For the price, I really can't complain.

If anybody is sensitive to treble, these are not fatiguing at all(I think even less 6k energy than the HD660S). Dynamics are pretty much the same level as HD660S, not much of it. Anything other than treble forward pop music, they generally sound a bit soft, sounds a bit laid-back, at times certain sounds sounding a bit distant, not forward enough. Therefore, the dynamics seem compressed that some headphones I've heard. Due to this reason, it doesn't sound fatiguing, but also sounds a bit lacking in terms of cymbal, metallic sounds due to it's in-offensive treble response. So, when it comes to instrumentation, it sounds like it needs more impactfulness, particularly with the bass. Despite the graph showing more extended bass, it doesn't sound like it has much of sub-bass which typical of Sennheiser open headphones. Due to the dynamics and lacking in cymbal sound energy, it's not ideal for rock music(which was the same for HD660S). Treble doesn't seem to push much of distinctness of sounds, or sound highly separated. I think HD660S may sound less hazy in distinction of sounds or greater in clarity(although it does similar to the HD660S). This maybe due to HD660S pushing more in the 6k region. It's definitely much better value than the HD660S for the money, and just a good value in general in it's pricing.

Due to it's in-offensive treble nature, and soft characteristics, I prefer to listen to pop music with these, since such genre tend to sound more forward. What I like is that vocals doesn't get sibilant, but treble can sound clearer for other genre besides pop. So, with these those genre that is thought to sound on the incisive side, doesn't with these. Definitely appreciate these as pop music genre specific headphone(which was the same for the HD660S).

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #1,267 of 4,845
That was my initial impression as well, but after several days of burn in that is changing quite a bit. The upper mids are coming out more, and the treble is sounding sharper and the headphone overall is sounding very dynamic and spacious with impressive separation of instruments and layers.

Jul 9, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #1,268 of 4,845
I got these pretty quickly as I was located in the East Coast where NJ is. Shipped Fri, received on Tues.

The box these come in are pretty small, just enough size to fit the headphones. I've had the HD650 in the past with huge box that it comes with the foam insert that keeps the headphone nicely protected. For the price, I really can't complain.

If anybody is sensitive to treble, these are not fatiguing at all(I think even less 6k energy than the HD660S). Dynamics are pretty much the same level as HD660S, not much of it. Anything other than treble forward pop music, they generally sound a bit soft, sounds a bit laid-back, at times certain sounds sounding a bit distant, not forward enough. Therefore, the dynamics seem compressed that some headphones I've heard. Due to this reason, it doesn't sound fatiguing, but also sounds a bit lacking in terms of cymbal, metallic sounds due to it's in-offensive treble response. So, when it comes to instrumentation, it sounds like it needs more impactfulness, particularly with the bass. Despite the graph showing more extended bass, it doesn't sound like it has much of sub-bass which typical of Sennheiser open headphones. Due to the dynamics and lacking in cymbal sound energy, it's not ideal for rock music(which was the same for HD660S). Treble doesn't seem to push much of distinctness of sounds, or sound highly separated. I think HD660S may sound less hazy in distinction of sounds or greater in clarity(although it does similar to the HD660S). This maybe due to HD660S pushing more in the 6k region. It's definitely much better value than the HD660S for the money, and just a good value in general in it's pricing.

Due to it's in-offensive treble nature, and soft characteristics, I prefer to listen to pop music with these, since such genre tend to sound more forward. What I like is that vocals doesn't get sibilant, but treble can sound clearer for other genre besides pop. So, with these those genre that is thought to sound on the incisive side, doesn't with these. Definitely appreciate these as pop music genre specific headphone(which was the same for the HD660S).
Can you explain lacking in cymbal sound energy, not making it good for rock? I've been trying to keep up with this thread, and I think you're the 1st person to say these aren't good for rock. I could be wrong though as I've slacked off a bit, growing impatient on waiting for these to arrive. It's been 13 business days since they shipped from Massdrop to Spokane. I'm not going to go on a rant, but I shop online frequently, and can't recall waiting this long on anything shipped within the States. I order fishing related goods from Japan several times a month. Granted I usually pay extra for EMS shipping, but if they can get me stuff in literally 3 business days, I can't really wrap my head around this. Hopefully good things come to those who wait will apply here

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #1,269 of 4,845
Anything other than treble forward pop music, they generally sound a bit soft, sounds a bit laid-back, at times certain sounds sounding a bit distant, not forward enough. Therefore, the dynamics seem compressed that some headphones I've heard. Due to this reason, it doesn't sound fatiguing, but also sounds a bit lacking in terms of cymbal, metallic sounds due to it's in-offensive treble response. So, when it comes to instrumentation, it sounds like it needs more impactfulness, particularly with the bass. Despite the graph showing more extended bass, it doesn't sound like it has much of sub-bass which typical of Sennheiser open headphones. Due to the dynamics and lacking in cymbal sound energy, it's not ideal for rock music(which was the same for HD660S). Treble doesn't seem to push much of distinctness of sounds, or sound highly separated. I think HD660S may sound less hazy in distinction of sounds or greater in clarity(although it does similar to the HD660S). This maybe due to HD660S pushing more in the 6k region. It's definitely much better value than the HD660S for the money, and just a good value in general in it's pricing.

Your the first person I came across that said the 58X aren’t great for rock. From my experience, that’s one of the genres it excels at, as well as hip-hop and EDM. Thank you for your feedback.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #1,270 of 4,845
Your the first person I came across that said the 58X aren’t great for rock. From my experience, that’s one of the genres it excels at, as well as hip-hop and EDM. Thank you for your feedback.
I agree, it's got a more powerful sound than the others in the series that really makes those power chords sing.

Jul 9, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #1,271 of 4,845
Can you explain lacking in cymbal sound energy, not making it good for rock? I've been trying to keep up with this thread, and I think you're the 1st person to say these aren't good for rock. I could be wrong though as I've slacked off a bit, growing impatient on waiting for these to arrive. It's been 13 business days since they shipped from Massdrop to Spokane. I'm not going to go on a rant, but I shop online frequently, and can't recall waiting this long on anything shipped within the States. I order fishing related goods from Japan several times a month. Granted I usually pay extra for EMS shipping, but if they can get me stuff in literally 3 business days, I can't really wrap my head around this. Hopefully good things come to those who wait will apply here
Well, I've heard other headphones, and my experience is that cymbal requires 7-8k peak to provide that distortion guitar crunch or sharpness in definition. Usually, these types of headphones sound a bit incisive when it comes to treble and makes vocals sound a bit sibilant. It's a trade-off.

I think EDM or pop type of genre has lots of forward energy with harder hitting bass, therefore sounds more dynamic, and clear due to sounds sounding more distinct. Acoustic is also easy to sound distinct due to sounding naturally separated, but rock generally need headphones that pushes more distinction in sounds that is provided by lower treble lift or the distortion sounds a bit soft, sounds smoothed out. Instrumentations that includes cymbals or metallic needs the treble lift for realism of the sound, and drums needs a bit of impact of the sounds(which is part of what I mean by dynamics).

Pop is vocal centric with electronic sounds that is forward in distinct in the mastering, so the genre work well with HD58X since it's not incisive sounding. So, vocals doesn't sound sibilant.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #1,272 of 4,845
This particular track reveals the level of the treble of the sax and the audience sound, also the definition of the drums. If the headphone does well in instrumentation, it sounds excellent.

Treble has different levels in peak to create better definition of sounds. If treble has dips somewhere, the sound peak is cut-off or dulled. This is a $150 headphone, so it performs quite well for the pricing, no doubt. But, it does sound like dynamically, it's lacking in some forwardness and shades of how the treble defines the sounds. Dynamically limited in a way.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #1,273 of 4,845
This particular track reveals the level of the treble of the sax and the audience sound, also the definition of the drums. If the headphone does well in instrumentation, it sounds excellent.

Treble has different levels in peak to create better definition of sounds. If treble has dips somewhere, the sound peak is cut-off or dulled. This is a $150 headphone, so it performs quite well for the pricing, no doubt. But, it does sound like dynamically, it's lacking in some forwardness and shades of how the treble defines the sounds. Dynamically limited in a way.

This totally reminds me of a few scenes from the Dirty Harry movies

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,274 of 4,845
Wasn't a big fan of the stock finish. Went to town on some spray paint.
sZ6i8vG.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/UbtapUk

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:29 AM Post #1,275 of 4,845
Dynamics are pretty much the same level as HD660S, not much of it.
What do you mean by dynamics here?

Weird that there would be a lack of treble because they seem brighter than the HD600 to me, though I do hear a bit more nuance on the cymbals and other high frequency percussion for the HD600. I am not entirely convinced by your theory that this is caused by a lack of treble, although I do see that notch from 2-5 khz in both the 660s and the 58x. I just don't understand why Sennheiser would produce a headphone with that kind of flawed frequency response. I prefer to think it's more down to the driver simply having a less natural decay than the HD600 and 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back