Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee Review & Measurements
Oct 20, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #2,686 of 4,845
The 2nd video, he says that foam is just a dust cover? Makes no sense why they'd put a huge foam on the grill instead of using the same process as the HD600/650/6XX foam with plastic holder over it? What was their intention?

Didn't Solderdude put a material over where that foam (the supposed dust cover?) went? And it changed the overall response?

I think this was how they changed the response from the prototype to the final version. The placement of the foam.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #2,687 of 4,845
Anyone tried to do this felt mods using some material at home? It will take some time to find a felt like the one used in the original mod. I got some material that maybe would work in a pinch an air filter foam (but I think it's too porous) those glasses cleaning cloths (I think it's too thin, maybe if I used multiple layers).

I'm not sure if the material being stiff is important for the mod

Oct 21, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #2,688 of 4,845
The 2nd video, he says that foam is just a dust cover? Makes no sense why they'd put a huge foam on the grill instead of using the same process as the HD600/650/6XX foam with plastic holder over it? What was their intention?

Didn't Solderdude put a material over where that foam (the supposed dust cover?) went? And it changed the overall response?

I think this was how they changed the response from the prototype to the final version. The placement of the foam.
I actually had the answer for that question yesterday...... but it appears i didnt cut & paste it. Heres what i did get though which might be of interest? https://imgur.com/a/oVXPa2C

Yes he did what was shown in the second vid i posted (1st HD58x one) heres his .pdf about it: http://www.mediafire.com/file/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X_evaluation.pdf

Anyone tried to do this felt mods using some material at home? It will take some time to find a felt like the one used in the original mod. I got some material that maybe would work in a pinch an air filter foam (but I think it's too porous) those glasses cleaning cloths (I think it's too thin, maybe if I used multiple layers).

I'm not sure if the material being stiff is important for the mod
I have the material at home ready to go waiting on the HD58x to turn up STILL. Its just 1mm felt from craft store. Its stiff yet still can breathe so i do wonder about that as well, but he menchioned toilet paper didnt work well or someone did so i don't think stiffness is the main focus.
I was going to test stock, no foam + felt since i have the Hd600, HD6xx, Hd660s here & since I have access to a HD58x & HD800s at a colleagues house. But i wasnt going to do a review..... just personal listening test, We'll see if that changes.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #2,689 of 4,845
The 58X sounds very good with the Magni 3 btw :) Expands the soundstage height and width, vocals (especially female) linger every note (emotional), and imaging improves. I like it much better than with my O2.

Oct 22, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #2,690 of 4,845

I agree.

Unrelated, supposed to take delivery tomorrow of a stock Sennheiser 4.4mm pentaconn cable for use w the zx300. Psyched.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #2,691 of 4,845

Maybe someone can do experiments. I removed the large foam and cutout small circular foam that is less dense to cover the drivers, simiilar to the HD650. I don't really hear a difference between this and removing all foam completely.

Oct 23, 2018 at 12:54 AM Post #2,692 of 4,845
Maybe someone can do experiments. I removed the large foam and cutout small circular foam that is less dense to cover the drivers, simiilar to the HD650. I don't really hear a difference between this and removing all foam completely.
I don't think you're supposed to, If you are just covering the magnet with light foam you are mostly just stopping dust getting inside the driver. if you were to put it "inside" the driver under the Dampener? (more inside the driver like HD650) rather than just cover the top of the magnet it should tone down the treble a bit in theory.
uVSF08x.jpg

If you use something more soild like Felt on top of the magnet where it breathes e.t.c. you are adding some more soild resistance, which should be more effective in changing sound.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #2,693 of 4,845
The 58X sounds very good with the Magni 3 btw :) Expands the soundstage height and width, vocals (especially female) linger every note (emotional), and imaging improves. I like it much better than with my O2.

My 58X's arrived yesterday!
I agree, they sound great with the Magni 3 (and great in general), which I also recently purchased.

So far I am very impressed and happy with the headphones. I tried a few different genres of music I like to listen to, and they all sound great!
They only thing I would have liked more is a bit of a wider soundstage. I may try the mod everyone talks about, by removing the foam pad beside the drivers, to see if I prefer the sound.

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:52 AM Post #2,694 of 4,845
I received my Hd58x's a few days ago and have been breaking them in. My first "real" headphones, and I am very pleased with them, but want to buy an amp to gain even more performance. Which under $150 amp or amp/dac combo, either pre-made or DIY would be a good fit for the 58x? I see those with the Magni 3 are happy. Has anyone tried the Liquid Spark?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #2,696 of 4,845
Hi everyone, just tried the solderdude mod: fantastic way to enhance such a a great performer. I tried something more easy for the beginners of mods, no hearable difference from the original mod: less boomyness, more precise image, crispier details. Here are the images:
IMG_3217.jpg IMG_3219.jpg
I bought an economic version of the share bi-flange tips, cut a ring in the smaller, and inserted the tip in the hole of the magnet. the bass extension is there but it don't swallow the presence zone. the small flange I left work as a edge that retain the tip in place. I think I can't ask more for 5 time the price I payed.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,698 of 4,845
Hi everyone, just tried the solderdude mod: fantastic way to enhance such a a great performer. I tried something more easy for the beginners of mods, no hearable difference from the original mod: less boomyness, more precise image, crispier details. Here are the images:

I bought an economic version of the share bi-flange tips, cut a ring in the smaller, and inserted the tip in the hole of the magnet. the bass extension is there but it don't swallow the presence zone. the small flange I left work as a edge that retain the tip in place. I think I can't ask more for 5 time the price I payed.
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but what keyboard is that you have there? Cheers

Oct 23, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2,699 of 4,845
What do you mean "cut a ring in the smaller"? I see the picture, but I am not sure what you did there.
the smaller flange. cut until the little tube easily fit in the hole. the tube must be very little. Another option is to cut a little piece of rubber tube and fit it in the hole making the hole significantly smaller. everything will work.
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but what keyboard is that you have there? Cheers
i't's a 2011 macbook pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back