Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEMs Review / Preview
Nov 25, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #166 of 766
Pulled the trigger on these IEMs. Dont know what to expect really since my last venture into the IEMs is the Westone 4Rs way back in 2014 (was only able to use it in less than 6 months before the drivers on the one side gave out). The 4 month lead time is long and excruciating to wait
etysmile.gif

Also, Is the optional lightning cable worth it? There is still time to remove the option before the drop ends. I would also be using this on an iPhone 6S aside from an iBasso DX50 for a DAP. No plans of upgrading to an iPhone 7.  

Nov 25, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #169 of 766
Here is my take on the Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM, if interested: http://www.head-fi.org/products/massdrop-x-noble-x-universal-iem/reviews/17389 - also linked on the first page of the thread.

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #171 of 766
Originally Posted by evenstephens /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, Is the optional lightning cable worth it? There is still time to remove the option before the drop ends. I would also be using this on an iPhone 6S aside from an iBasso DX50 for a DAP. No plans of upgrading to an iPhone 7.  

I was tempted at first, though I ultimately decided not to get it because for $9.00 I can just buy another Apple lightning headphone adapter, and the guts of the two are likely the same.  Apple's MFi certified products all use the same Cirrus Logic chips.

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #172 of 766
What type of sound that you're looking for?

I saw shotgunshane said the sound signature is fairly similar to the P1, which I like a lot. Though I would prefer slightly more bass. I was mainly hoping though that performance... detail, clarity, would be even better than what I currently get with the P1 and since this has been lumped into the same class as the savant and sage, which should be another level (or two) up from the P1, thats my hope. But I honestly dont know what to expect as I step up higher since the P1 is the highest end pair I have personally listened to.

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #173 of 766

I was tempted at first, though I ultimately decided not to get it because for $9.00 I can just buy another Apple lightning headphone adapter, and the guts of the two are likely the same.  Apple's MFi certified products all use the same Cirrus Logic chips.

The last sentence is incorrect, there are dozens of MFI certified products using other dac chips, you only need to use certified lightning connector and LAM module for certification and compatibility i think.

However you are probably correct about the $9 dongle using the cirrus chips. However, given no confirmation about the noble lightning cable being MFI certified, there is no way to tell what chipsets are inside until you actually get one. 

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #174 of 766
I saw shotgunshane said the sound signature is fairly similar to the P1, which I like a lot. Though I would prefer slightly more bass. I was mainly hoping though that performance... detail, clarity, would be even better than what I currently get with the P1 and since this has been lumped into the same class as the savant and sage, which should be another level (or two) up from the P1, thats my hope. But I honestly dont know what to expect as I step up higher since the P1 is the highest end pair I have personally listened to.

I meant their average bass and treble quantities were at similar levels, not that they sounded similar. Their peaks and dips are definitely placed differently. The P1 is warmer with emphasis on lower treble, while the presentation is further away from you and wider. The X is a downward sloping signature with a slight upper midrange bump. It sounds more intimate and forward in direct comparison. The X reminds me of the NAD HP50 in overall sound signature.

Nov 25, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #175 of 766
I meant their average bass and treble quantities were at similar levels, not that they sounded similar. The P1 is warmer with emphasis on lower treble, while the presentation is further away from you and wider. The X is a downward sloping signature with a slight upper midrange bump. It sounds more intimate and forward in direct comparison. The X reminds me of the NAD HP50 in overall sound signature.

Thanks for clearing that up. In that case though... I dont actually know how I will like the sound signature, especially since my experience is fairly limited. This is kind of a step into the unknown for me, since they are being compared in terms of class (not sound sig) to higher priced units like the sage and savant, is there something I can expect by effectively stepping up a tier or does it just come down to differences in sound signatures? Since I am not 100% sure about the signature, hoping it was a worthwhile purchase, but as I said, the option of stepping up (or at least thinking its a step up) at that price range was why I joined the drop... trying not to question my decision, but still dont quite know what to expect.

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #176 of 766

Looks like they are keeping the contents of the lighning cable under close tabs. Thankfully i still have till the end of the drop to decide. Thanks :slight_smile:

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #179 of 766
Noble themselves have been quite open about the lightning cable on this very thread and have said theyd try to provide more details. Hardly keeping it under close tabs.

It looks weird that they seem to have insufficient information about the lightning cable even after they release the product. It really doesn't help whether they are open about it. anyhow, I am looking forward to more information about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back