Massdrop x Hifiman edition xx
Mar 4, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #137 of 463
Really interested to know more about Edition xx.
Anyone compared Edition xx with LCD-2C's Bass?

I'll have a go from the HEX V2 perspective.

HEX V2 flatter, bigger image size, better for well recorded music in the chamber size - jazz, classical, new age, pop singers.

LCD-2C not flat, much more impact, richer. High impact stuff - industrial, heavy rock, etc.

They could make very good compliments, but they are not similar. I own the HEX V2, and don't own the 2C - although I did once - but what goes on with them under 400 Hz isn't one of the reasons.

I'll take the HFM HE-6 over both of them for bass, and a lot more.

Mar 4, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #138 of 463
At CanJam I heard from a reviewer that has these says the Edition XX does not sound as good as an HEX v2 or Ananda for that matter. You are really only getting what you pay for with these.

Mar 4, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #139 of 463
At CanJam I heard from a reviewer that has these says the Edition XX does not sound as good as an HEX v2 or Ananda for that matter. You are really only getting what you pay for with these.

If so, the dropping prices of the HEX V2 and Ananda will stop dropping. I saw a review that wasn't very favorable on them could be selling here for $399 by mid summer.

Mar 4, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #140 of 463
If so, the dropping prices of the HEX V2 and Ananda will stop dropping. I saw a review that wasn't very favorable on them could be selling here for $399 by mid summer.

The DIYAudioHeaven review was not too favorable. Hell, he had to do a mod just to make them listenable. Supposedly there is a nasty spike around 8K and the resolution isn't the greatest either according to the reviewer. So basically, there is no free lunch, you are getting what you pay for with the Edition XX,.....a $699 HP not a $1,299 HP with a different headband.

This was one of the reasons I rushed home and bought the HEX V2, cause I knew the prices on these would start edging back up once the word got out.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #141 of 463
The DIYAudioHeaven review was not too favorable. Hell, he had to do a mod just to make them listenable. Supposedly there is a nasty spike around 8K and the resolution isn't the greatest either according to the reviewer. So basically, there is no free lunch, you are getting what you pay for with the Edition XX,.....a $699 HP not a $1,299 HP with a different headband.

This was one of the reasons I rushed home and bought the HEX V2, cause I knew the prices on these would start edging back up once the word got out.

Yeah, nothing is free. I have my issues with the Ananda & the HEX V2 (less for the latter). Another member here has kindly lent me his HE-6's for a week or two. Pretty much broils both of them. Haven't heard the Arya, but that seems like a slightly lesser version of a HEK V1/V2 clone. Have to have a HFM? And want it better than a HE-6? Have it "sexed", or look at a HEKse or a Susavara - maybe.

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #142 of 463
Yeah, nothing is free. I have my issues with the Ananda & the HEX V2 (less for the latter). Another member here has kindly lent me his HE-6's for a week or two. Pretty much broils both of them. Haven't heard the Arya, but that seems like a slightly lesser version of a HEK V1/V2 clone. Have to have a HFM? And want it better than a HE-6? Have it "sexed", or look at a HEKse or a Susavara - maybe.

Well, I may just try to get them all, those that I can afford here to see which I would like better, including ultimately the SE. Including the Ananda, Arya, HEK V2 and an HEKSE. Don't know if I am willing to make the compromise of getting an HE6. Basically if it's not in some way portable not sure I want it. The on HP I may make that compromise for is a Susvara. I hear the HE6 has a great tonal balance, a little bright but will balls. How is the imaging is it up to the HEX's and HEV's?

Anyway, back to the Edition XX. Perhaps this will be a stepping stone to the rest of their lineup, and people buying this will want to move up the line? It's gotta be better than the Sundara which I didn't like at all, about as much as you dislike the Ananda!!!

Mar 4, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #143 of 463
Well, I may just try to get them all, those that I can afford here to see which I would like better, including ultimately the SE. Including the Ananda, Arya, HEK V2 and an HEKSE. Don't know if I am willing to make the compromise of getting an HE6. Basically if it's not in some way portable not sure I want it. The on HP I may make that compromise for is a Susvara. I hear the HE6 has a great tonal balance, a little bright but will balls. How is the imaging is it up to the HEX's and HEV's?

Anyway, back to the Edition XX. Perhaps this will be a stepping stone to the rest of their lineup, and people buying this will want to move up the line? It's gotta be better than the Sundara which I didn't like at all, about as much as you dislike the Ananda!!!

Being open backed I reckon the SE-6 is as portable as the rest. I rarely do portable, but when I do I use the 4XX (probably because if it gets wrecked I won't scream) - and that's basically the same form factor.

The SE-6 unmodified is a somewhat small sized but coherent in terms of image and stage size vs some cans. The sound is very potent. The 800S is more detailed, but isn't really potent, nor the HEX or Ananda. They (HE-600) do gentle and they scale to loud and wild no problem. My heavily modded HE-500 seem to throw a wider and taller sound stage, but I don't doubt with similar or better mods the HE-6 would do the same or better. Just read the rapturous reviews from people with modded HE-6's - "code sex". I think the fuzzor mod would do away with most of the high end brightness, and also give a blacker background. Sooner or later I'll have to get one. As of now the Voce is the only can I've heard that's better, and's that's a big jump in price.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #144 of 463

Sundara has decent bass. I'm more disappointed in the Ananda than anything. HEX isn't perfect either...

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #145 of 463

Hifiman seemed to price them just as stepping stones all the way up to the HEK series and Susvara. But Susvara is too difficult to drive and $$$$. HE1000se may be a more practical buy as it is much more efficient and also, hifiman provided historically an upgrade path to a newer version.
I thought I don't need to lose my money buying and selling those stepping stones. If I don't like the HEKse, I would be done with hifiman.

Mar 5, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #146 of 463
I'll have a go from the HEX V2 perspective.

HEX V2 flatter, bigger image size, better for well recorded music in the chamber size - jazz, classical, new age, pop singers.

LCD-2C not flat, much more impact, richer. High impact stuff - industrial, heavy rock, etc.

They could make very good compliments, but they are not similar. I own the HEX V2, and don't own the 2C - although I did once - but what goes on with them under 400 Hz isn't one of the reasons.

I'll take the HFM HE-6 over both of them for bass, and a lot more.
HFM HE-6 is over my budget sadly.
If I'm open to use EQ, can Edition xx (or HEX v2 perspective) make good bass like LCD-2c?

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #147 of 463
HFM HE-6 is over my budget sadly.
If I'm open to use EQ, can Edition xx (or HEX v2 perspective) make good bass like LCD-2c?

I've seen some HE-6's going for under $800, which puts it in the same price class. OTOH the scramble for them is usually intense when they do show up. The new se version has been sold a few times under $1100, but those sales dried up. Those may be too much for some time.

Well I discovered that those huge cups sound different when they are on my head in different spots. For instance with the headband forward and the cups back pulling the back of the earlobes just a tad forward AND the two spots of the pads not making a full seal built up with 2-3 pieces of toilet paper folded up, not only is bass clean and deep, but the highs are better and they have improved the image height and width - and its all on the same plane with good depth unlike what I wrote last week in my review.

Still in terms of punch/grunt, the LCD-2 has more. If you like Krall, Chesky, Sheffield - the HEX's are likely a better choice. If you like electronica, hard rock, etc. you'd probably like the LCD-2 more

What is working for me for the moment is liable not to work for you, your head is different from mine, you may just want to plug and play. I do know that the reviews/word on the MD XX isn't that favorable, so the used price of the HEX V2 is liable to stick around where it is. The LCD has good resale too - so those are not tie breakers yet.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #149 of 463

That's troubling. I skimmed through some of his other reviews (LCD-4, Nighthawk, HE4XX) and and his reviews were spot on to my experience and tastes, so that concerns me quite a bit for the edition XX and my tastes. Obviously, I'll have to hear them for myself and ultimately decide, but not a good data point so far. Since these are early release models (how did he and DIYAudioHeaven get them so far ahead of release?), I guess I can hope the tuning will still change, but that's probably not very likely.

Mar 17, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #150 of 463
That's troubling. I skimmed through some of his other reviews (LCD-4, Nighthawk, HE4XX) and and his reviews were spot on to my experience and tastes, so that concerns me quite a bit for the edition XX and my tastes. Obviously, I'll have to hear them for myself and ultimately decide, but not a good data point so far. Since these are early release models (how did he and DIYAudioHeaven get them so far ahead of release?), I guess I can hope the tuning will still change, but that's probably not very likely.
Metal571 is the reviewer I was referring to in earlier posts. Massdrop is sending out early production models to reviewers. The problem is a couple of reviews so far haven’t been favorable. Hifiman also told Metal that the drivers are not the same as those of the HEX, that are less expensive drivers to meet the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back