Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Apr 4, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #454 of 2,030
That's what it says on my transactions page. I'm hoping the Elex ships a week or so early, like the LCX did.

Apr 12, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #455 of 2,030
Just got an email:

Hi Everyone,

Good news! The Massdrop x Focal Elex Headphones have arrived at the warehouse and we are planning on sending them out a bit early. We estimate that the headphones will ship by the end of next week (April 20).
giphy.gif

Apr 13, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #457 of 2,030
Pretty excited! Ordered some dekoni pads (Velour and Perf leather), the wait is almost over! :)

Apr 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #458 of 2,030
Pretty excited! Ordered some dekoni pads (Velour and Perf leather), the wait is almost over! :)

You think the Elex will be able to contend with your HD 800S ?

Apr 13, 2018 at 9:41 PM Post #459 of 2,030
Please, share your impressions as soon as your receive it. I'm interesting to know how close it is to the clear

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #460 of 2,030
Hi would these be for hip hop and metal? I’ve never had focal headphones before

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #461 of 2,030
Anyone know if the headband material (on top) is real leather? Don't buy real leather products. Thanks.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #462 of 2,030
You think the Elex will be able to contend with your HD 800S ?
I think they will complement each other quite well. Each offers different strengths and weaknesses and should fit nicely to the mood that I'm in for that day :p

Apr 15, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #463 of 2,030
I have been back and forth, almost to join the Elex drop, then backing out. My two "main" headphones are the HD6XX and Fidelio X2, driven by a Magni 3. I like both but have issues with each I am hoping the Elex (or another suggestion could solve).

X2. I put these on and loved them, they sound like speakers, nice wide soundstage, good imaging. But after ownership for a bit - I can't listen to them very long as the uneven upper mids / low treble gets to me. The bass is mostly great but overcooked a bit and while towards a Harmon curve (fine) it starts dropping off at least an octave too early making it a bit flabby.

HD6XX. Tonally great, just a bit too mid forward. More closed / headphone sounding than I prefer. Bass tighter than X2 but only because I feel it suffers even worse from roll-off. Highs are nice but missing air off the top end. Mostly love but they just aren't dynamic enough to really move me.

My specific thoughts - I have read the impressions and get the sense that the Clear and Elex improve directly on my HD6XX issues...but I am not sure if they will suffer some of the upper mid/treble issues I have the X2...maybe not in the same way, but might get them in my face a bit. Also, I really like the "speaker" like sound presence the X2 brings.

Thoughts? LCD2C appears to address most of what I want as well, but impressions put it too dark and also appear worse in feeling closed / 3 blob imaging. I live in the Puget sound area (Bremerton) and would love a get together / demo. Money is an object, but not if I get end game. I thought I had that in the X2 until the weaknesses started to grate at me.

I struggle because I have LSR30X monitors, a calibrated full system home theater, and my two headphones reveal weaknesses with the other. Essentially I want cans that have the best of all worlds, not sure I can get there.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #464 of 2,030
I have been back and forth, almost to join the Elex drop, then backing out. My two "main" headphones are the HD6XX and Fidelio X2, driven by a Magni 3. I like both but have issues with each I am hoping the Elex (or another suggestion could solve).

X2. I put these on and loved them, they sound like speakers, nice wide soundstage, good imaging. But after ownership for a bit - I can't listen to them very long as the uneven upper mids / low treble gets to me. The bass is mostly great but overcooked a bit and while towards a Harmon curve (fine) it starts dropping off at least an octave too early making it a bit flabby.

HD6XX. Tonally great, just a bit too mid forward. More closed / headphone sounding than I prefer. Bass tighter than X2 but only because I feel it suffers even worse from roll-off. Highs are nice but missing air off the top end. Mostly love but they just aren't dynamic enough to really move me.

My specific thoughts - I have read the impressions and get the sense that the Clear and Elex improve directly on my HD6XX issues...but I am not sure if they will suffer some of the upper mid/treble issues I have the X2...maybe not in the same way, but might get them in my face a bit. Also, I really like the "speaker" like sound presence the X2 brings.

Thoughts? LCD2C appears to address most of what I want as well, but impressions put it too dark and also appear worse in feeling closed / 3 blob imaging. I live in the Puget sound area (Bremerton) and would love a get together / demo. Money is an object, but not if I get end game. I thought I had that in the X2 until the weaknesses started to grate at me.

I struggle because I have LSR30X monitors, a calibrated full system home theater, and my two headphones reveal weaknesses with the other. Essentially I want cans that have the best of all worlds, not sure I can get there.

If you are looking for a wide open soundstage with excellent clarity, imaging and still decent bass, precise impressive mids. Check out the HD 800S. I have it driven by the Burson conductor SL and its an amazing headphone. Leaps and bounds beyond the HD 650 in terms of detail and sparkly pleasing treble and more 3d and encompassing and detailed than the DT 900 (the other headphones I have).

I have not compared it against any Focal or other TOTL headphones though but from what I read its one of the best in terms of imaging and soundstage. Also the focal don't seem to have the best soundstage based on what most people say. Its also the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn.

Apr 15, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #465 of 2,030
To me, the Elear is a step-up from the X2, and the Elex is closer to an upgraded HD 650/6XX (which is partly why I think MD chose to make it their flagship open-back collab).

Now both the X2 and 650 have different "defects" or commonly discussed issues amongst hobbyists that would need correcting in an upgrade. And, tbh, Focal's driver doesn't duplicate the X2's wider soundstage, for example. But tuning-wise, I do think music fans of the X2 will love the Elear's elevated but controlled bass as well as the generally smoother response up and down the range, and won't mind any presence the Elear has tuned higher up. The bass isn't quite at TH-X00 levels, but then again neither is the treble.

I haven't heard the Elex yet (stoked it's shipping early), but the FG does align closely with the HD650 in the mid-region, where the body of most music resides. While the 650 sounds warm, it's a fairly neutral expression in the mids. Personal theory time: I think it's the nature of the steep roll-offs at the bottom and top ends of the HD 650 that push it towards sounding warm. That said, it's tbd whether or not 650 fans will find happiness in the intensely visceral dynamics of the Elex's driver, or its near reference treble tuning.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back