Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
May 5, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #646 of 2,030
May 5, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #647 of 2,030
Click does seem to be a better term for what's happening now that I really took a listen to it. I'm unsure about whether or not I want another pair. After doing another listening session I do think I enjoy the Elex more than my HE-560. I'm not sure I enjoy it $350 more though. I think the HE-560 is more comfortable too actually, my ear seems to JUST barely not touch the metal part inside the cups on the Elex.
You guys in the US are so lucky you can easily return or exchange your cans. For us living elsewhere, the shipping costs alone kill any prospect of trying to return them, and even warranty repairs can cost upward of $200 for shipping alone! Add to that the fact that we usually have to buy blind... :frowning2:

That’s why resources like HF are invaluable. Usually lurk here for months before making even the smallest buying decision.

May 6, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #648 of 2,030
Got mine for a couple days now. Glad to report I don't hear any pops on mine, though i usually listen at around 75db. Pleasantly surprised by how nice the bass extend and how they sound overall, though would love a touch more in the mids region but very nice sounding pair of cans indeed.

IMAG1172.jpg

May 6, 2018 at 4:29 PM Post #650 of 2,030
Actual sound level meter acquired & it is a lot more sensitive than my phone. I'm listening louder than it showed at 70-80db, around 85-90. Currently testing the songs that caused distortion earlier & if I'm just listening WAY too loud...

May 6, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #651 of 2,030
So yeah, they act the same way on the CTH & the Magni 3 on high gain. On low gain it isn't as bad & if I'm not listening for the crackling it's not in my face but it's still there unless I turn it slightly down (low mid-80s). Sigh. You'll probably say I shouldn't be listening that loudly anyway which, fair point. I don't know, I might just keep these & listen on low gain. I really don't want to get a third pair just for those to be broken too because as you can all tell by now my luck is absolute crap. I'm done being a wet blanket for the second time. Enjoy yours fellas. I'll try to do the same thing with mine.

May 6, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #653 of 2,030
Seriously send it back as many times as it takes if it is not performing properly. I have had to do it before on computer parts. Dell is notorious for sending back out busted stuff as an example.
+1. Send it back and if it comes back broken a third time get your money back and move on. No headphone is worth this much hassle, especially for this price. You’ve already been more patient than I would have been.

May 6, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #654 of 2,030
For those hearing a click in their pair of Elex and it can be recreated by shaking your head but not when your head is still, it’s due to tolerancing issues on the Focal logo insert. It’s plastic and the attachment method seems to be a lance type snap. I had the issue and I decided to take the side grill off with a star driver bit and fasten it in place with a bit of adhesive. Focal should revisit the design so that it’s more fault tolerant to tolerance issues.

May 6, 2018 at 11:30 PM Post #655 of 2,030
Can anyone tell me how long it took from the shipment date to delivery? I know it varies with location, but mine are scheduled to ship May 22 and I have to be in a different city to start an internship on the 28th. There's still someone so my address that can hold then for me, but I'd really like to take my new cans with me. Any hope I'll get them before I move?

May 7, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #656 of 2,030
It started from NJ to TX via FedEx which typically takes 4 days or so but it seems to be a saver plan so the package moved to usps which added a couple days. So about a week for me.

May 7, 2018 at 11:42 AM Post #658 of 2,030
Had my Elex for a couple of weeks and liking it but started noticing a rattling/clicking in the left ear cup when volume gets slightly high. Sure enough, when the sub-bass kicks in, pops and crackles galore - both drivers.

Example track - 'Why so serious?' from the Dark Knight soundtrack ~3:30. Try increasing the volume during the subbass parts.

I swapped out and tested with another headphone and no issue there whatsoever.

Pretty disappointing considering its the most expensive headphone i have as well - also not in the US, so return shipping's not gonna be fun

May 7, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #659 of 2,030
Had my Elex for a couple of weeks and liking it but started noticing a rattling/clicking in the left ear cup when volume gets slightly high. Sure enough, when the sub-bass kicks in, pops and crackles galore - both drivers.

Example track - 'Why so serious?' from the Dark Knight soundtrack ~3:30. Try increasing the volume during the subbass parts.

I swapped out and tested with another headphone and no issue there whatsoever.

Pretty disappointing considering its the most expensive headphone i have as well - also not in the US, so return shipping's not gonna be fun

Any chance this could be your issue?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mas...iew-measurements.867615/page-44#post-14223525

Users who are viewing this thread

Back