Massdrop x Eddie Current ZDT Jr. impressions thread
Sep 17, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #106 of 138
Turning on the Tube Rollers Bat Signal. @Wes S — care to chime in?

The site we can’t mention uses GE Jan 5654 but Wes was less than enthusiast about those, and I trust his knowledge the most. You can get them on Amazon.

I have Western Electrics also but Mullards are my endgame.
Hey ya'll! I just checked my sources and could not find any more Mullard 6ak5. The only ones I could find, at the moment, were these on ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/MULLARD-56...BAAAOSw-W5Uz7X2:sc:USPSFirstClass!75006!US!-1

This is not one of my favorite sellers, but they do offer a 30 day return, so there is little risk.

If I come across any more, from sellers I trust, I will let ya'll know.

Happy listening and rolling!

Wes

Sep 17, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #107 of 138
Nov 2, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #110 of 138
Has anyone been able to compare the ZDT Jr to the Bottlehead Crack w/ Speedball? Ignoring the diy vs prebuilt, I’m wondering if there are pros/cons since they are similar price points. Thanks!
I have both the ZDT Jr and the BHC+SB currently. I can only speak on their comparison with the Verite, other headphones might react much differently to both amps, but there can also be some generalities assumed.

The biggest differentiating factor is that the BHC is OTL meaning; you will only want to pair it with high-ohm headphones, generally "300-600ohm". The ZDT Jr has an output transformer which allows it to be used with lower impedance headphones "32ohm-300ohm."

The second most noticeable difference is that the BHC responds more to tube rolling, and can benefit significantly from more expensive tubes. The ZDT Jr can experience tube rolling, but with less dramatic changes.

As far as more specific differences (with my current tube setups);
The ZDT Jr has less detail roll-off.
The ZDT has less impactful/powerful bass, the BHC has more quantity, and bloom, in the bass.
The BHC has a wider sound stage, the ZDT Jr has more frontal depth.
The BHC has more authority and a more aggressive sound, the ZDT is more casual.
Both are dead silent, no tube hum/buzz.

I am using GE JAN 5654W input tubes and stock output tubes on the ZDT Jr.
I am using Raytheon 12au7 input tube and Tung Sol 5998 Domino Plate output tube on the BHC+SB.

You always have the added bonus of customizing/upgrading your BHC if that is of any interest to you.

As a subjective preference statement, I prefer the BHC+SB over the ZDT Jr, but I couldn't consider it as a suitable amp for the Verite due to the detail roll-off. I'm losing too much of what I should be gaining in that department with the Verites. Some would say if I invest a couple hundred more $$ in to better tubes for the BHC I could solve those issues, but I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #111 of 138
Wow thanks for the detailed reply! That was incredibly helpful. I should have mentioned I am primarily going to be using the Aeolus and am currently using an Atom. I may have the chance to try the ZDT Jr soon but am also interested in the BHC as I’m looking for a good DIY project. I’m looking forward to hearing the ZDT Jr as I’ve never heard a tube amp before. Ultimately I’m looking for impactful bass, open sound stage, while still retaining a good amount of detail. From what you’re describing, it sounds like the ZDT Jr would be a great option with the Aeolus, while the BHC is also great but more flexible with different tubes and mods. I’ll be sure to post here with my own impressions on the ZDT Jr + Aeolus after I get a chance to get some quality time with it.

Dec 13, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #112 of 138
Im planning to buy this 2nd hand since the amp hasnt been up for sale on massdrop for about half a year.

However, massdrop's warranty policy is that only the original purchaser/account owner can request for after service support for products sold on massdrop.

Is there anyone that I can be in contact with to request for after sales support? In case I can no longer contact the original owner should there be any problem arises in the future.

Feb 22, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #115 of 138
@songmic

Hi there,

Looking for a tube amp for my Grado gh2 (32 ohms), do you think Zdt jr will pair better, than for example Valhalla 2, Mad Ear + hd, Woo W2 / W6?
thanks in advance.

Pedro

Hello. I wanted to follow up to see how you made out with your GH2's?

You will run into a lot of ignorance online when you ask about Grado's. You will hear many responses like the one you got here: "I have never heard your headphone, but since it's a Grado it sucks. All Grado's suck".

Don't pay any any attention to them. There is a great thread for Grado headphones on here. It is one of the largest and longest running threads on Head-Fi.

And don't buy the HD6XX's/HD600's/HD650's are the best thing ever. They are very flat, neutral headphones that REQUIRE a nice tube amp to sound decent. I have owned the HD6XX's and do own the HD600. Neither comes close to the GH2's for fun.

To get back on point, it would be great if more people wrote more feedback for this amp.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #116 of 138
Hello. I wanted to follow up to see how you made out with your GH2's?

You will run into a lot of ignorance online when you ask about Grado's. You will hear many responses like the one you got here: "I have never heard your headphone, but since it's a Grado it sucks. All Grado's suck".

Don't pay any any attention to them. There is a great thread for Grado headphones on here. It is one of the largest and longest running threads on Head-Fi.

And don't buy the HD6XX's/HD600's/HD650's are the best thing ever. They are very flat, neutral headphones that REQUIRE a nice tube amp to sound decent. I have owned the HD6XX's and do own the HD600. Neither comes close to the GH2's for fun.

To get back on point, it would be great if more people wrote more feedback for this amp.

Hi @Shane D

Well, i still love my GH2, its normal some people like/dislike some brands, personally i dont like much Sennheiser for example, but i understand how many people
can enjoy them, its always a matter of personal preference, so any opinion is valid.
I ended up buying the Woo Wa2, the new Schiit Bifrost multibit and Asgard 3 as SS amp. Gh2 really sound nice with them, i just switched to the large pads, cause they are much more comfortable. Now im looking for good speakers, and maybe a new Audeze headphone :)

cheers!

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #117 of 138
Hi @Shane D

Well, i still love my GH2, its normal some people like/dislike some brands, personally i dont like much Sennheiser for example, but i understand how many people
can enjoy them, its always a matter of personal preference, so any opinion is valid.
I ended up buying the Woo Wa2, the new Schiit Bifrost multibit and Asgard 3 as SS amp. Gh2 really sound nice with them, i just switched to the large pads, cause they are much more comfortable. Now im looking for good speakers, and maybe a new Audeze headphone :)

cheers!

You NEED to check out beautifulaudio.biz in New Zealand. The hybrids perfected my GH2's

I guess the Woo Wa2 is off limits for the Grado's?

I am also looking into:
https://hagerman-audio-labs.myshopify.com/collections/amplifiers
and
http://www.mapletreeaudio.com/

I wonder if massDrop will ever bring this amp back?

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #118 of 138
A used ZDT Jr that I picked up from these forums arrived this afternoon to pair with my ZMF headphone. So far, so good! It sounds a bit wider and spacious than when being powered by the 789, but it’s very early for me to get more specific than that.

Feb 22, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #119 of 138
A used ZDT Jr that I picked up from these forums arrived this afternoon to pair with my ZMF headphone. So far, so good! It sounds a bit wider and spacious than when being powered by the 789, but it’s very early for me to get more specific than that.

Congrats. So, your only low impedance 'phones are your Meze Noir's? Could you test that when you get a chance? I have the Meze Classic's, but I don't really find that they scale very well. Although they are awesome out of my LG V30 or my DAP.

Any hum at all?

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #120 of 138
I have this amp powering HD800, Focal Elex and E-MU Teak. Powers all 3 effortlessly and cleanly. It does sound different to my SP200 which is the reason i purchased it. It pairs well with the HD800 which is supposed to be picky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back