Massdrop x E-MU Purpleheart Headphones Review / Preview
Jan 21, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #46 of 54
ZMF Blackwood or ZMF Vibro MK2, personally, I found it to be lightyears better than the Fostex lineup.
Thanks for the recommendation, ZMF on the radar :)

Jul 20, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #47 of 54
Edit. I moved the questions to the Help and recommendations forum

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #48 of 54
ZMF Blackwood or ZMF Vibro MK2, personally, I found it to be lightyears better than the Fostex lineup.

Aren't the ZMF's using T50 Fostex drivers? I will definitely look at them, as a planar driver with wood kind of intrigues me, but I don't know that I would describe it as head and shoulders better than Fostex when it uses Fostex parts.

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #49 of 54
Aren't the ZMF's using T50 Fostex drivers? I will definitely look at them, as a planar driver with wood kind of intrigues me, but I don't know that I would describe it as head and shoulders better than Fostex when it uses Fostex parts.

the mods transform the driver into an entirely different headphone... but sure thing captain, enjoy.

May 1, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #51 of 54
Last edited:
Jun 20, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #52 of 54
IME most earpads Ive tried that were advertised for Sony MDR 7506, CD900st, etc have fit Emu purpleheart / walnut well. Brainwavz prostock also work.
I'm currently using Defean lambskin for 7506. They've had the best comfort so far. Frequency response may not be best of all but its close and I tend to use EQ anyway...
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MK6B9V4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
See that other friendly site for more impression and mods.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #54 of 54
BF2FDFCD-E605-4FC9-A587-93A46311824D.jpeg

- Removing the cups is easy - just unscrew.
- You can tune by sealing the driver vents (see the blue stickers I placed over the vents) but I preferred them both open, there are tradeoffs.
- The benefit of the mod is it helps with the peaky highs. Before I couldn't use Emu without some EQ but now I can.
- These are warmer with less taught bass than stock. But I prefer the upper mids reduction, and in combination with reduced highs I find this more enjoyable than stock.
- I suspect stock purpleheart pads sound better than the pads I am using here: Brainwavz Prostock microsuede. The stock pads are a little shallower and have slightly less highs but they are a little too small for my ears and lose seal.
- I dont doubt that closed-back or open-back (with vent damping) with front filter or EQ is best. The goal of this mod is to make listenable without front filter or EQ. Highs are too dam high! Ive been experimenting with front filters lately and starting to come around on them. Tonal balance is more important than ultimate clarity. See @Hands mod with front filter for best mod for Emu.

Attachments

• Emu-w mod VS Emu-open.jpg
    Emu-w mod VS Emu-open.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back