Massdrop x E-MU Purpleheart Headphones Review / Preview
Dec 20, 2016 at 10:06 PM Post #16 of 54

After reading what Project said above, the sound hasn't magically changed a hell of a lot with the wood cups. The freq graphs look fairly close except for the top end, overall i found the D1000 boring. I will hold onto my cash and not take a chance.

I'm passing on this one also. It's Christmas and money is super tight right now. Enjoy it though...

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #17 of 54
I see it from both perspectives. On the one hand, yes, the Purpleheart actually does sound appreciably different from the CAL. Different enough to where I generally enjoy it more than the CAL for most music. On the other hand, it's not a completely different sound - nobody will confuse this thing for a K712, M50x, or HD598. 

Make of that what you will. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #18 of 54
I see it from both perspectives. On the one hand, yes, the Purpleheart actually does sound appreciably different from the CAL. Different enough to where I generally enjoy it more than the CAL for most music. On the other hand, it's not a completely different sound - nobody will confuse this thing for a K712, M50x, or HD598. 

Make of that what you will. 

Cheers for that info :)

I didnt want to come across negative with these, as i havent heard them. Wasted to much on blind buys already. :D

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #19 of 54
Cheers for that info
smily_headphones1.gif

I didnt want to come across negative with these, as i havent heard them. Wasted to much on blind buys already.
biggrin.gif

No problem, I didn't take it as negative per se. And I realize this drop is not for everyone. This would make a great gift, or a very nice "general use on the go" type of headphone. Also very useful for anyone on a budget looking for a "mostly" all purpose headphone. For those who already own a bunch of cans, this maybe isn't directed at you, though it still might find a place. 

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #20 of 54
I'm a bit tempted to give these a try as the price is low enough that it's cheaper than most earbuds I've impulse bought lately.  I've never had a chance to listen to the E-Mu line, or the CAL for that matter which is a shame as it's quite loved and recommended.  Aesthetically, I think the design and wood choice might be close to ideal for me, so while that shouldn't be a consideration for a headphone...  it is, and I accept that about myself.  Plus it'd be nice to have something a bit bassy as I tend to be an open can listener.  Although, I did just get in a Parrot Zik but haven't put it through it's paces just yet.  I'm torn on if I should give these a go, especially seeing that delivery is 4 or so months out.  At least I have a week to decide, so it might be after XMas when I make that decision.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #21 of 54
Here's my take of the Massdrop x E-MU Purpleheart Headphone, here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/massdrop-x-e-mu-purpleheart-headphone/reviews/17653.

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #22 of 54
  I'm a bit tempted to give these a try as the price is low enough that it's cheaper than most earbuds I've impulse bought lately.  I've never had a chance to listen to the E-Mu line, or the CAL for that matter which is a shame as it's quite loved and recommended.  Aesthetically, I think the design and wood choice might be close to ideal for me, so while that shouldn't be a consideration for a headphone...  it is, and I accept that about myself.  Plus it'd be nice to have something a bit bassy as I tend to be an open can listener.  Although, I did just get in a Parrot Zik but haven't put it through it's paces just yet.  I'm torn on if I should give these a go, especially seeing that delivery is 4 or so months out.  At least I have a week to decide, so it might be after XMas when I make that decision.

The way I feel about it is, anything with purpleheart wood can re-sale for $40, CAL itself still re-sales for $40 used, so worst case scenario is I lose out on $30, the m50x is not for me, has too piericing highs, lot of closed cans just don't do it for me, these probably won't blow me away, but when I am on train/plane, I want a little style at an affordable price

Dec 21, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #23 of 54
I don't need another pair of headphones...I don't need another pair of headphones...I already have the CAL! and I don't need another pair of headphones! 

*sigh*

I think I'm going to have to drop the $75...

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #24 of 54
Is the isolation any good though? I think I read from Innerfidelity that the Aurvana Live! didn't isolate too well.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #25 of 54
  Is the isolation any good though? I think I read from Innerfidelity that the Aurvana Live! didn't isolate too well.

They isolate a little bit better than the THX00 does as far as leaking sound in.  They don't leak sound out.  They're somewhere between the THX00 (and all similar designs) and the ShureSRH840/Audio Technica M50/M50X in terms of isolation.

To me they're a good compromise for most mobile situations.  They allow you to hear your music and not bother other people, but you won't get run over by somebody honking their horn at you either.  I like them for things like riding a bus, where I want to hear what's going on, just lower.  But they're not good for plane travel or drowning out a loud office, but I only really use IEMs or noise cancelling for those situations anyway.  

THey're good for what they are, IMHO.  They're not giant killers.  They're not isolation monsters.  They're a cheap-ish, good looking, non-offensive, fun headphone.  For $75, needing a smaller closed can, they're amongst the best you can buy.  I think they're more durable than people would give them credit for.  My old Denon D1001 has lasted for 10 years.  And i threw that thing in a backpack or briefcase daily for at least 5 years of that time every single day.  The only thing that has happened is that the pads have started to flake a little bit, which is totally normal for that time frame, and that price level.

These comments were based on owning the Walnut (and also D1001), btw.  But as far as what I said above, it should all equally apply.  

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #26 of 54

They isolate a little bit better than the THX00 does as far as leaking sound in.  They don't leak sound out.  They're somewhere between the THX00 (and all similar designs) and the ShureSRH840/Audio Technica M50/M50X in terms of isolation.

To me they're a good compromise for most mobile situations.  They allow you to hear your music and not bother other people, but you won't get run over by somebody honking their horn at you either.  I like them for things like riding a bus, where I want to hear what's going on, just lower.  But they're not good for plane travel or drowning out a loud office, but I only really use IEMs or noise cancelling for those situations anyway.  

THey're good for what they are, IMHO.  They're not giant killers.  They're not isolation monsters.  They're a cheap-ish, good looking, non-offensive, fun headphone.  For $75, needing a smaller closed can, they're amongst the best you can buy.  I think they're more durable than people would give them credit for.  My old Denon D1001 has lasted for 10 years.  And i threw that thing in a backpack or briefcase daily for at least 5 years of that time every single day.  The only thing that has happened is that the pads have started to flake a little bit, which is totally normal for that time frame, and that price level.

These comments were based on owning the Walnut (and also D1001), btw.  But as far as what I said above, it should all equally apply.  

I owned the CAL briefly, I ended up refunding it because I owned to many headphones at the time, but from what I remember it was really awesome, details even some $500 cans didn't replicate. Since I saved $60 refunding that, I have no issues dropping $75 on a purpleheart wood sexy version, lol

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #30 of 54
Will be interesting to see how they compare to the walnut sound wise. I would never say the walnuts sound like the nighthawks like Z does, so maybe there's some difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back