Mass Storage Device info wanted
Dec 30, 2011 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TigreNegrito

100+ Head-Fier
Guys, I have no idea where this should go as I don't see an option in the equipment forums.  I'm looking to get a 3TB or so external hard drive to rip all my discs to in lossless format.

In other threads I've read with regards to DAC's and computer-as-source, one of the limitations that keeps popping up is that USB can only handle lossless format at the max, and that I'd have to have optical/coaxial to appreciate higher-def formats if/when I get them.

Is this USB limitation inherent in the USB connection itself, or the DAC to which it transfers information? If it is inherent in the USB connection, one USB 2.0 output will be just as efficient as the next since they are pretty much universal, correct?  This would mean I could purchase any brand of ext hard drive I want.

If there is, in fact, a difference in USB brands/qualities, which brand of external storage device would those of you in the know suggest that I purchase?  Also, if you know where this question has already been answered, could you steer me there, please?

Thanks - enjoy the last few days of 2011 and have a great New Year!

Dec 31, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 6
I don't understand your question - what's better than lossless? 

That said, you're comparing apples and oranges. USB 2.0 can transfer at a peak throughput of 480 Mbit/s; that's more than more than fast enough to handle any audio data you'd like to put on it. Brand/type doesn't matter - it's universal (that's the U). Get whatever is cheapest and/or most reliable. There is no benefit to having an expensive drive; it isn't playing the music or even related to the music - it's storing data which is being read back by the computer and then output to wherever. This is nothing at all like a CD player or similar. At all. If you have a desktop computer, you can get an internal drive and save some bucks - it's the same exact thing sans the plastic/metal case and a SATA-to-USB controller (which will do nothing to sound quality at all because we aren't sending audio data).

Regarding "USB DACs" (I've given up trying to explain why such a thing fundamentally doesn't exist) - the limitation in playback abilities is to do with the chips themselves. Bandwidth and latency are a factor, but the 16/44.1/stereo is simply a limitation of the audio controller (which happens to use USB as its interface, as opposed to PCI or PCI Express were it inside the system). 

Any other questions?

Also, happy new year and all that as well. 
k701smile.gif

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #3 of 6
I've moved this to Computer Audio, which seems the most appropriate. :)

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I don't understand your question - what's better than lossless? 

That said, you're comparing apples and oranges. USB 2.0 can transfer at a peak throughput of 480 Mbit/s; that's more than more than fast enough to handle any audio data you'd like to put on it. Brand/type doesn't matter - it's universal (that's the U). Get whatever is cheapest and/or most reliable. There is no benefit to having an expensive drive; it isn't playing the music or even related to the music - it's storing data which is being read back by the computer and then output to wherever. This is nothing at all like a CD player or similar. At all. If you have a desktop computer, you can get an internal drive and save some bucks - it's the same exact thing sans the plastic/metal case and a SATA-to-USB controller (which will do nothing to sound quality at all because we aren't sending audio data).

Regarding "USB DACs" (I've given up trying to explain why such a thing fundamentally doesn't exist) - the limitation in playback abilities is to do with the chips themselves. Bandwidth and latency are a factor, but the 16/44.1/stereo is simply a limitation of the audio controller (which happens to use USB as its interface, as opposed to PCI or PCI Express were it inside the system). 

Any other questions?

Also, happy new year and all that as well. 
k701smile.gif

agreed.

You should also wait a few weeks with your purchase if time is not of essence.
Due to the flood in Thailand the price for hard drives is pretty high right now.

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 6
I'd suggest perusing the articles and threads over at www.computeraudiophile.com as there is a wealth of information relating to your query there.

Cheers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back