Marvalve Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jul 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tomscy2000

Headphoneus Supremus
UPDATE, 2014-10-30

Looks like they've come live with a nicely polished website: http://www.marvalveaudio.com/index.php

Some design features it claims:

Innovative circuit design

While EL84 tube is famous for its great sound, we do not connect it in triode/ pentode/ultra-linear mode like countless other audio amplifiers. Instead, we introduced a revolutionary design to use EL84’s screen grid as an anode. Since the screen is closer to the cathode than the anode plate, linearity and noise performance are both improved. The suppressor grid and the anode plate are both grounded to act as double Faraday shields, further reducing noise and electromagnetic interference from outside. The direct result of our circuit innovation is enhanced warmth and transparency.

A special class of high-tech diodes (almost never used in audio circuits) is strategically placed in the tube circuit to provide superior voltage regulation (unrelated to power supply).

No-feedback circuit design for pure sound and better transient response.

By operating EL84 tube at a very low voltage, tube temperature is reduced (safer) and tube life extended (perfect for rolling expensive NOS tubes).  
Single-stage amplification using one tube per channel offers lower noise and distortion performance compared to two-stage tube amplification seen in most amplifiers.

Only one active component in the signal path, just EL84 as screen-connected triode—arguably the world’s purest and simplest headphone amplifier circuit, but powerful enough to drive Sennheiser HD800 to rocking levels.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Apparently, it's designed by a guy connected to Nuforce, Dalun Yuan. That's all I know. Looks cute.

Sep 13, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 11
I know Dalun Yuan quite well. He used to be the chief engineer of Nuforce for a few years and designed a few successful products. He is now starting a new company called Marvalve and this is the first product. This amp is completely manufactured in Taiwan, and Dalun is one of the most respected hi-fi audio designers in Taiwan even since his college days. The Model One amp has several unique design features. For instance, there are two 10-turn instrument grade potentiometers. It has lower noise than common potentiometers, and allows L/R balance to be precisely controlled. Less convenient but greater sound quality. Due to its unique circuit design, this amp is not powerful by EL84 standards but dead quiet. My Cayin HA-1A, also EL84 output tubes, is miles ahead in output power but the Marvalve Model One is miles ahead in terms of sound quality. Considering that Cayin HA-1A has really decent sound quality, I guess Marvalve can probably compete with the heavy hitters, but I have not had a chance to A/B it against first-tier headphone amps. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #4 of 11
Sep 15, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 11
  I hope the choice of name was an innocent mistake.

Pretty sure the goal of the name was to make a play on "marvel" --- as in the fact that it's a 'marvel' of a tubeamp, rather than crib off "Mal Valve".

@Ferbose might be better suited to make that assessment, though, as I don't know the Marvalve people at all.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #6 of 11

Pretty sure the goal of the name was to make a play on "marvel" --- as in the fact that it's a 'marvel' of a tubeamp, rather than crib off "Mal Valve".

@Ferbose might be better suited to make that assessment, though, as I don't know the Marvalve people at all.

OK, I can see that. But they really need to change the name, it took me several readings of the original post before I realized that this was not about "Mal Valve".

May 3, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #7 of 11
Resurrect! I tried the amp at the latest Fujiya. Fine tuning both channels is a great boon to both broken recordings, and for sensitive headphones. I heard it at a loud venue so my opinions regarding hiss should be taken lightly. But, I heard no hiss through my Ultrasone IQ (sensitive and hiss prone). I assume that at home its noise would reveal itself. Still, amazing, especially for an amp of its genre. Nice, long rather than wide design.

May 4, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 11
  Resurrect! I tried the amp at the latest Fujiya. Fine tuning both channels is a great boon to both broken recordings, and for sensitive headphones. I heard it at a loud venue so my opinions regarding hiss should be taken lightly. But, I heard no hiss through my Ultrasone IQ (sensitive and hiss prone). I assume that at home its noise would reveal itself. Still, amazing, especially for an amp of its genre. Nice, long rather than wide design.

I am sure this amplifier is dead quiet. It has only one EL84 tube running at low voltage. It could be the tube that needs replacing.
On any tube amplifier, I always use ultra-sensitive ear buds to check tube noises. Both preamp and power tubes could vary widely in noise levels, including premium NOS.
Lower-noise tubes always excel at retrieving finer details, even when driving inefficient headphones when no hiss can be heard.
Fortunately EL84 has lots of very nice old and modern tubes which are affordable and available.

Jun 6, 2016 at 4:12 AM Post #9 of 11
popcorn.gif

Oct 8, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 11
Whats the pricing?

Also it seems that the product specs are really missing alot of detail?

The website states low distortion but no real distortion specs at all?

Also 20 mw of power, what is the power at 32, 250/300 and 600 ohms?

It looks really nice, but there needs to be more detailed information before I would seriously consider it.

Thanks
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back