Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jun 17, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #6,347 of 6,783
51JIYyYuUsL.jpg

I listened to this fine disc last night.  The Mikros 90 really came through sorting out some very dense, as well as tonally/dynamically subtle, instrumental and/or vocal passages.
EVS-modified SONY BDP-S780, Rocky Mountain Audio Lehmann BCL, lots of tweaks and the HeadphoneLounge UP-OCC silver cable.
The Mikros 90 will definitely sound shrieky with sub-par/low bitrate recordings.

Jun 17, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #6,349 of 6,783
One more report from listening to my new (to me) M90 phones (which btw I'm in the process of burning-in, slowly, with a somewhat unorthodox technique: instead of subjecting the phones to hours and hours of carefully programmed segments of either white or pink noise, I've plugged them in to one of my larger current 'source' libraries, the hundreds and/or possibly thousands of classical and/or jazz tracks currently residing on my Mini Mac desktop....on a weird theory that, to achieve good music/playback 'karma', a set of headphones may 'burn in' better if subjected to massive amounts of really good music, instead of merely to random noise/sound patterns) -

Was listening to another disc I am quite fond of - a piece of classical/jazz fusion: the Kronos Quartet playing the works of Thelonius Monk - with a 'guest star'/5th musician sitting in with them, the monster (monstrously great) bassist Ron Carter.  It's an interesting recording because in addition to the complexities and multiple tonalities of the 4 string instruments in the quartet (from the highs of the violins to the resonant lows of the cello) - when Ron Carter plays (and often solos), the timbre, notes, and textures of his acoustic bass are.....well, for want of a better adjective, simply RonCarteresque. That is, they have a deep deep deep - but also occasionally crisp - resonance that, depending on what you're listening to them on - can go right through you.

The ML's did quite nicely with almost all of the quartet's sounds - but some of the Ron Carter passages, especially his solos - weren't quite 'there'.  Or, at least, not yet.  I understand this may be subject to the breaking-in/burning-in process.  Cabling is a factor too obviously.  I've (so far) only been listening to the M90's on a set of Radio Shack Auvios, which (at the time) were (or at least have been) very capable.  So we'll see. 

But - and there's often (but not always a 'but' .....) - my former 'reference' standard (at least to me) headphones - Beyerdynamic 660's - initially did a much much better job of reproducing something close (or at least much closer) to the RonCarteresque sound that he actually produces on his bass.  Obviously they are/were different beasts - closed circumaural cans - which are deserving IMHO of all the props they get from cognoscenti - but which also can occasionally be labeled either as cold or borderline clinical.

Weirdly enough, I also have a set of CAL! ' s (Creative Aurvana Live!, the 1st generation) which in many ways don't come close to some of the things the Mikros 90's have shown me already - but on certain tracks, including ones on this album, in the past they've acquitted themselves really nicely. It's probably got something to do with the particular signature/s they've been tweaked to deliver - less clear than the M90's often - but curiously satisfying in others. (Note: I don't think the CAL's are either bass-heavy phones - and I'm definitely not a so-called bashed by any means - so I don't think it's a question of my latent or repressed bashead tendencies coming to the fore.)  Unfortunately, the CAL's are temporarily on loan to a friend who needed them, so I can't do any comparisons now.  And, honestly, I'm probably the last person in the world to be able to do any kind of semi-objective comparison, since most of my thoughts about sounds and audio stuff are heavily subjective.

Apart from that, these - the M90's - are damn effing nice phones though (g-r-i-n)

Jun 17, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #6,350 of 6,783
yes i do burn in my cans with good music too... not karma, 
but to train the electrons to flow consistently in a "musical" groove. :p

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #6,351 of 6,783
I leave new headphones plugged into the receiver and change stations every 4-6 hours.  The music cycles through just about every genre available from the local stations.
My theory is that this sort of eclectic break-in helps make the headphones into good "all-rounders"!
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #6,352 of 6,783
  I've (so far) only been listening to the M90's on a set of Radio Shack Auvios, which (at the time) were (or at least have been) very capable.  So we'll see. 

The Auvio is a great cable for pop music listening.
The [modded] Mikros 90 on my desktop rig are usually cabled with the Auvio.  

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #6,353 of 6,783
Hi everyone,

I just received my Mikros 90. Sounds promising. I'm kind of lazy when it comes to searching threads for information. Part of it is because English isn't my native language. Therefore I would like to ask if you could help me with advice when it comes to a uppgrade cable for the Mikros 90. I have tested the ones I had but they are to thick.

Best regards

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #6,354 of 6,783
Time to test your -FreeHoleMikrosBass90

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIlZxUxFzaw

Jun 18, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #6,356 of 6,783
"FreeHoleMikrosBass90" Please explain to a beginner :)

Nothing that's good in life is easy. One simply must go down the rabbit hole... 
biggrin.gif

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #6,358 of 6,783
I used my Martin Logan at work today (I let the SR325e take a rest) and I still love them.  I had not used M90 since I bought the Grados a couple of months ago.   

Jun 18, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #6,359 of 6,783
Both my pairs are in my "hall" of shame..... When I m feeling nostalgic...they might come out for a walk. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back