Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jun 13, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #6,331 of 6,783
Anyone else here having issues with driver flex? I can hear my right side driver clicking every time I put mine on. I've emailed ML but they are the worst. I don't even think they check their emails. I've decided to register the item and see if I can't just request an RMA or maybe call them. Anyway, does anyone here know where I can find the serial number? I don't have the box anymore but the serial number should be on the headphones themselves right?

your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:54 AM Post #6,332 of 6,783
Geez...another cupturner,
a caveat once again to those contemplating this amazing portable..
buy this can only if u hv spare coins to punt.

I bot two, first one didn't turn his head...
The 2nd one did that once too often and I confined it to the gallows.:D

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #6,338 of 6,783
  Anyone else here having issues with driver flex? I can hear my right side driver clicking every time I put mine on. I've emailed ML but they are the worst. I don't even think they check their emails. I've decided to register the item and see if I can't just request an RMA or maybe call them. Anyway, does anyone here know where I can find the serial number? I don't have the box anymore but the serial number should be on the headphones themselves right?

your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

e-mail Scott Gribble.  SGribble@martinlogan.com

He has been good to me.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #6,339 of 6,783

if u are in doubt...scroll back 200pages n u get a feel :)

The MLs have had some QA issues on a case by case basis.  All-in-all, sonically, a great set of headphones, though.  

If Martin Logan had "manned up" and stayed in the game, some of these production issues should have been addressed and solved for subsequent generations.

Jun 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #6,340 of 6,783
  One problem I've noticed is that people can't enjoy more expensive headphones that much anymore. :)

My Oppo PM-1 have been boxed up for weeks.
Ditto for the KingSound H-03 [although, that is probably due to my not having the M-10 SS amp, which I prefer to the M-20 tubed amp].
Between the Mikros 90 [with HeadphoneLounge recable] and the harman/kardon CL [with Double Helix Nucleotide recable] and the Yamaha MT-220, I am pretty content for the moment.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 16, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #6,342 of 6,783
New ML Mik90 owner here - I just did a trade with a fellow Head-fier for a very lightly used (and thus un-burned in) Mikros 90....so I'm putting them through their paces.  First up is a disc by the Renaissance/early-music group, the Baltimore Consort, playing a disc full of English Ellizabethan tunes from a few centuries back, 'Watkins Ale'.  The music has a good cross-section of period string and wind instruments, everything from various precursors of violins (viols, citterns) to recorders, lutes, and you-name-it.  A great cross section of instrumental sounds, textures, timbres and voices.  And ----

And the ML's are, so far at least, passing with flyng colors.  There's a crispness and a lightness, a great sense of voicing and even some soundstage which is surprising to me. The best part though I think may be the lower registers - the richness of the bass viols and some other instruments which sound a lot like cellos - coming through dark and strong which, yep, is surprsing to me given the diminutive size/shape of these phones.

They are replacing a pair of excellent low-fi phones, the underrated (and dirt-cheap) Noontec Zoros which were astoundingly good but aren't quite in the same league as these when it comes to the delilneation of individual instruments - strings - and even notes.

My jury is still out on a larger, multi-instrumental or symphonic sound - something which another old pair of headphones, my former Beyerdynamic DT-660's, may have been, in my opinion, the all time best classical reference cans I ever heard.  So that's down the road...

But the ability to reproduce an overall complex piece while keeping individual instrumental voices.....is pretty effing cool.

Also, at least so far, the occasionally maligned overly-forceful clamping which some people have complained about....hasn't been an issue for me.  Yet.  (And I have a modernately large skull.)  Hopefully that will continue.

But they're damn nice headphones so far :)

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #6,343 of 6,783
...if u carry on like this, u will be patabard2 within the next 2 posts :p

Jun 16, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #6,344 of 6,783
Miguel,
Thank you for checking in!
Those Mikros 90 that you have may not be broken in yet.  IMHO the MLs need ~200 hours before really settling down.
Keep logging the hours, keep listening and keep us up-to-date with future developments/impressions.
[I have that Watkins Ale disc--really nice!]

pataburd
beerchug.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Jun 16, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,345 of 6,783
Yes, I realize my M90's are nowhere near close to being broken in yet....but they're still acquitting themselves admirably.

Today I was listening to some larger scale orchestral sounds - Yo-Yo Ma playing Vivaldi cello concertos - and I was surprised at the denseness of the sound renderings.  Definitely what one might call 'fullness', whatever that means.

On another symphonic track however,  also Yo-Yo Ma, on a composition by Leonard Bernstein, the Mikros showed their first signs of being mortal: the recording had a thinness which at moments bordered on squeaky, In the M90's defense however, it may have been an issue with the source - a CD which had been digitally transferred at a less than optimal nitrate or format or whatever the term is.  The Vivaldi concertos, on the other hand, were transferred onto iTunes in Apple Lossless which, in spite of the carping from FLAC perfectionists, really sounds pretty damn detailed to me - so it's possible it may merely have been the Mikros' tendency to render sounds commensurate with their quality.

But then they surprised me again by doing a great job on a relatively complex jazz recording - Bill Friselll and the Intercontinentals - in which eclectic jazz guitarist composer and all around music maven Bill Frisell got together with a number of fine string players, some acoustic and some electric, and a handful of percussionists, and recorded a series of what can only be described as Newer Millennium jazz/newmusic/fusion - one of my favorite  discs -

And the M90's were right there.

Incidentally they were almost as good as my old-school (and fairly humongous) floor-standing Klipsch speakers which are a few decades old, but are the kind of audio speakers that make you hear different parts of instruments every time you listen. To pay the M90's a compliment, they are in the same territory as the Klipsch's....which is pretty rarefied atmospheric territory.

The only downside so far to these headphones, as I am discovering, is that they seem to like volume....which means as one turns the sound levels up....you hear less and less of the world around you.  Which is both good and bad (duh).  But for such tiny headphones, they do a nice job of shutting out outside distractions.

More to come later, maybe.....now back to the Intercontinentals.

Incidentally for those who like these genres, Bill Frisell is worth going out of your way - far out of your way - to hear him play live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back