Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jun 5, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #5,477 of 6,783
So I've been getting the hell- in with this stupid 4-pole connector not playing nice with older audio gear and I decided to make an enquiry to Lunashops about customizing their 7N OCC cable to have a 3.mm connector on both sides. I've also asked about reversing the channels so that the Mikros can be worn backwards without the channels being switched. I've also found, over time, that backwards is the most comfortable and consistent fit.

They've replied asking about what connectors and what length I'm interested in, as well as what channel reversing means. Seems like they're willing to customize the cable as per my specifications. Perhaps it would be best to just get it wired correctly and then get an adapter to reverse the channels - then at least the cable could be used with other gear if I want. Anyone know if it's possible to get such an adapter already-made for not too much dosh?

I know I could possibly just get some kind of adapter for the current cable made, but... I would rather like an upgrade cable.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #5,480 of 6,783
Wow!
Looks like a nice cable for $33!
The 3.5mm connector looks definitely too big for the Mikros 90.
Ted had to finish the input end of the cables he made for with me with a sleeve of heatshrink in order to ensure proper fit. 

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #5,481 of 6,783
The Oppo PM-1 are due to arrive next week.
Stock Pair #3 are burning in as we speak . . . 
"Let the games begin!"
smile_phones.gif

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #5,482 of 6,783
oppo should be a big contrast to the Mikros...awaiting your feedback.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #5,483 of 6,783
Lors,
You are almost certainly to be correct in your forecast.

Based on what I have been reading up on the PM-1, I am not expecting much more than a "warm, mass market aimed" type of sound signature, but who knows?  Some reviewers have put the PM-1 in the Audeze LCD 2.2 camp, and I really didn't care for the Audeze LCD 2.2--too rolled off and uninvolving in the treble. 

The Mikros 90 "Stock Pair #3" are breaking in right now, and blowing me away in the process.  They sound virtually "perfect" to my ears.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,484 of 6,783
i am using a silver toxic cable on the LCD2, so that adds some brillance to the highs..
and that bass mass is v satisfying to my ears, everytime i pick up this can i am happy...
as in EVERYTIME.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #5,486 of 6,783
So I've been getting the hell- in with this stupid 4-pole connector not playing nice with older audio gear and I decided to make an enquiry to Lunashops about customizing their 7N OCC cable to have a 3.mm connector on both sides. I've also asked about reversing the channels so that the Mikros can be worn backwards without the channels being switched. I've also found, over time, that backwards is the most comfortable and consistent fit.

They've replied asking about what connectors and what length I'm interested in, as well as what channel reversing means. Seems like they're willing to customize the cable as per my specifications. Perhaps it would be best to just get it wired correctly and then get an adapter to reverse the channels - then at least the cable could be used with other gear if I want. Anyone know if it's possible to get such an adapter already-made for not too much dosh?

I know I could possibly just get some kind of adapter for the current cable made, but... I would rather like an upgrade cable.

Nice to find someone else that finds them more comfortable backwards. I'll be curious to see what you come up with for reversing the channels.

Jun 6, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #5,487 of 6,783

Yes, the adaptor is free if you have a Clip Zip, and it's called "Rockbox" 
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #5,489 of 6,783
  The Oppo PM-1 are due to arrive next week.
Stock Pair #3 are burning in as we speak . . . 
"Let the games begin!"
smile_phones.gif

Congratulations!!

I'm really interested in hearing what you think of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back