Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
May 16, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #5,283 of 6,783
Another plug? U meant an adaptor?
I settled for the ultrasound extentioncable if I feel like having more body:)

Hey pata...do u hv a doublesidedsocket where u can link the silver to the copper?
This will blow your mind man?!:)

Lors,
Have a 1/8"-1/8" coupler.
Might daisy chain the Teds silver/copper this weekend.  
Am running [SoundSilver Trilogy] silver to pre-amp and [EVS IC95] copper to amp with my outboard rig already.
Does "silver first" or "copper first" seem to matter? 

May 16, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #5,284 of 6,783
  I feel like the bass has gone down in levels on my pair with burn-in or pads softening or maybe clamp loosening... it is of course all just more incentive to mod once I reach those 200s.  But I'd say that the bass is not slightly too low for my taste. 

Playing around with sinegen has revealed linearity until 200Hz, 100Hz is about 75% of 200 in volume, 50Hz is about 50% of 100Hz in volume and 35 is halved again and lower than that can barely be considered audible - my previous test where 25hz were clear now has it much lower volume on 25hz. Also that test is not nearly as accurate as sinegen, and I believe the 25hz there is much closer to 35 actually.

However on a more positive note, the highs are absolutely wonderful, and I can't find any music that sounds sibilant. Mids have opened up somewhat but I'm still expecting more from the mids.

All in all, this is a very beautiful representation of music that appeals very well to me despite a slight lack in bass (let's say currently). I love to listen to violins, guitars and saxophones in these phones.

I have broken in four stock pairs so far.  No two of them seem to sound the same.  I have a "bass light" pair, but with comparatively pristine mids and a more detailed treble than the others.

The mids seem to go through a raspy stretch between 50+ and 100 hours, IMHE.

Am running the MikrosHypedBass modded pair through my office rig, with the HeadphoneLounge UPOCC copper cable.

Must be my sixth time through The Guess Who Collection.  The bass on "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" is deep, articulate and textured.  Great sense of wide open space with this cable! 

I have no desire to try other headphones at the time.  

EVS all-out modded Oppo BDP-105, anyone?

The Mikros 90: "She's an expensive date," fellas!

size]

May 16, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #5,285 of 6,783
It does....I like to put silver PC on the dac, n copper on the amp....n silver rca in betw

May 16, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #5,286 of 6,783
  I have broken in four stock pairs so far.  No two of them seem to sound the same.  I have a "bass light" pair, but with comparatively pristine mids and a more detailed treble than the others.

The mids seem to go through a raspy stretch between 50+ and 100 hours, IMHE.

Am running the MikrosHypedBass modded pair through my office rig, with the HeadphoneLounge UPOCC copper cable.

Must be my sixth time through The Guess Who Collection.  The bass on "No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature" is deep, articulate and textured.  Great sense of wide open space with this cable! 

I have no desire to try other headphones at the time.  

EVS all-out modded Oppo BDP-105, anyone?

The Mikros 90: "She's an expensive date," fellas!

size]

Do they converge to something similar or remain different?

I really like the bookshelf speaker analogy, tells a lot about these phones, as they are extremely good sounding, just sound a bit too small in a way :)

I guess I'll have to pay the troll toll to enter the mikros hole.

May 16, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #5,287 of 6,783
  I feel like the bass has gone down in levels on my pair with burn-in or pads softening or maybe clamp loosening... it is of course all just more incentive to mod once I reach those 200s.  But I'd say that the bass is not slightly too low for my taste. 

Playing around with sinegen has revealed linearity until 200Hz, 100Hz is about 75% of 200 in volume, 50Hz is about 50% of 100Hz in volume and 35 is halved again and lower than that can barely be considered audible - my previous test where 25hz were clear now has it much lower volume on 25hz. Also that test is not nearly as accurate as sinegen, and I believe the 25hz there is much closer to 35 actually.

However on a more positive note, the highs are absolutely wonderful, and I can't find any music that sounds sibilant. Mids have opened up somewhat but I'm still expecting more from the mids.

All in all, this is a very beautiful representation of music that appeals very well to me despite a slight lack in bass (let's say currently). I love to listen to violins, guitars and saxophones in these phones.

Do you know of a good place to download sinegen for win7? So far the download sites appear to be full of bloatware.

The bass on my stock Mikros is very nice and usually satisifies me. But that's until I throw on the dt1350's - the bass really anchors things for me. I'd pay for a nice dt1350/mikros90 hybrid, that's for sure. Gives me a mission to get back to my mod pair of Mikros and try to get the bass sounding something similar (if that's possible).

May 16, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,288 of 6,783

Do you know of a good place to download sinegen for win7? So far the download sites appear to be full of bloatware.

The bass on my stock Mikros is very nice and usually satisifies me. But that's until I throw on the dt1350's - the bass really anchors things for me. I'd pay for a nice dt1350/mikros90 hybrid, that's for sure. Gives me a mission to get back to my mod pair of Mikros and try to get the bass sounding something similar (if that's possible).

I downloaded it from here: http://sinegen.en.lo4d.com/

May 16, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #5,289 of 6,783
I must re-iterate though that when playing the Mikros 90's through the C&C BH amp, they do sound amazing. The LF (bass boost) switch really does get the bass to a very happy place, and the SF (soundstage) switch opens up the soundstage even more. Very nice!

May 16, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #5,293 of 6,783
  i am not really digging the design of them, sory

That's ok - I don't dig the design of them either lol.

Edit: specifically: clamping, rotating forward cups, mega-thick headband. But, I DO dig their sound. So we're good :)

May 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #5,294 of 6,783
Took out two longforgotten old, cheap GE tubes n plonked them into my darkvoice336se....
gollywow...that sound projection, the cups of the mikros disappeared, just music alloverme.
wow wow wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back