Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #4,937 of 6,783
Apr 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #4,940 of 6,783
Apr 14, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #4,941 of 6,783
So I hopped off the hype train a while ago due to prompting that made me a bit self-conscious that I may be out of place. However I have returned to give a (short) review of the M90's against the V-moda m80's, as promised. Both have at least 50 hours on them and it shows, both sets change quite a bit after working them in (In my own opinion anyhow). 

Mikros 90
Build and such -So first off lets cover the "minor" things. The M90's "feel" smaller than the other phones, mainly due to the clamp force. Lots of it present, and while it may not be bad to all (I've had some try out the phones and describe them as comfortable) I personally have a big head. When adjusted the headphones feel fine, but I occasionally feel that I can't get the best position for the best sound without making them uncomfortably small and tight. Apart from that the appearance is nice overall and the accessories included are sparse but nice, especially the carrying case. I feel like these have a bit more hassle to contend with than a general pair of headphones due to the nature of the recessed earcups, but thats a bit of a problem with many on-ears.

Sound - I've been experimenting with a number of genres and found that the Mikros is good for just about everything, and great for music that relies on detail in the higher register. They really do have a great deal of quality when paired with the right audio source, though even when used with YouTube videos they work without "complaint". I would echo the usual complaints with the bass when it comes to the stock pair, however I've lived with them for a while and I can say that the bass does show up with nice extension and clean definition in songs that feature it. Overall I'd say that they are wonderful for people who wish to hear clean and treble with little fatigue, well executed mids, and reasonable bass. They are a cut above most in it's price range based on what I've heard.

General Use - For all those wondering these headphones have a number of features that make them worthwhile for portable use, being capable of putting out a large amount of sound in quiet locations with no issue. Tested in the university library. As a "gaming" headphone they are adequate. The crisp sound production and soundstage are helpful here, however they aren't exactly made for this purpose so I would be hesitant to put them in that market. 

V-Moda M80
Build - I feel that the overall build is better, for the sake of comfort, but does not have a comparable seal. The phones can even feel loose at times. The look is quite wonderful, but may appeal to some more than others (as is the way of aesthetics). While the pads are a bit harsh at first a few weeks with them can loosen them up a bit. Similar to the Mikros the m80's come with a nice case and a few other bits and pieces. 

Sound - I've had less time with these, but from what I have heard they are just as excellent as everyone seems to think. They are mostly accurate, and have good clarity in general. However I noticed a warmth and bass response with them that set them distinctly apart from the Mikros phones. Honestly the bass response seems a bit surprising for a set their size, not much but a bit. I would say that they appeal more to the bass centered listener, without forgoing all sanity like other headphones I won't mention. They don't have the Mikros' soundstage but this seems to work out to their advantage when listening to the right kind of music. The overall presentation seems more warm in general. As a headphone they are less distorted than most offerings bearing similar signature and render great mids with somewhat underwhelming highs.

General Use - I would mention that they leak more sound than the Mikros, but not to such as magnitude as any general semi-open. For non-music purposes I would say they are ok, I wouldn't recommend them to a person looking for gamer type phones but then I wouldn't look to the Mikros for that either.  

Conclusion: For the price it's difficult to understand why the Mikros 90's are so undervalued in the average-joe audio world but maybe it's just a lack of marketing. They are great quality for the price, considering that they can produce quality comparable to phones that generally cost twice as much. That being said the m80's have their own unique signature which is different from the Mikros 90 and works well in it's own right. I'd say that the issues of comfort may have larger-headed types looking for a different set, and as a guy who uses headphones for hours at a time (programmer and the like) I may have to either mod mine or sell them to make room for something different. However for those with a bit of extra money just wafting about, these are worth adding to a good collection or using on the go. 

Full Disclosure - I have little cash and generally buy things to last, so in that vein I've sampled precious few headphones and never anything over the price of $300 (MSRP). I own no amp and I use rhapsody as my main source for music. I'm considering either audio-technica ATH-A700 or soundmagic HP100 for my next pair.           

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #4,944 of 6,783
So is the feeling that these are quite similar in sound to the K545's? I have those and then got the Mikros on sale from newegg. If they're pretty similar I may not open them since I already LOVE my K545s.

^
Or even better, you can trade me your K545s for one of my Logans. hoho Cuz you ain't an official Loganite yet if you don't own mo' than 2.
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,945 of 6,783

So I hopped off the hype train a while ago due to prompting that made me a bit self-conscious that I may be out of place. However I have returned to give a (short) review of the M90's against the V-moda m80's, as promised. Both have at least 50 hours on them and it shows, both sets change quite a bit after working them in (In my own opinion anyhow). 

Mikros 90
Build and such -So first off lets cover the "minor" things. The M90's "feel" smaller than the other phones, mainly due to the clamp force. Lots of it present, and while it may not be bad to all (I've had some try out the phones and describe them as comfortable) I personally have a big head. When adjusted the headphones feel fine, but I occasionally feel that I can't get the best position for the best sound without making them uncomfortably small and tight. Apart from that the appearance is nice overall and the accessories included are sparse but nice, especially the carrying case. I feel like these have a bit more hassle to contend with than a general pair of headphones due to the nature of the recessed earcups, but thats a bit of a problem with many on-ears.

Sound - I've been experimenting with a number of genres and found that the Mikros is good for just about everything, and great for music that relies on detail in the higher register. They really do have a great deal of quality when paired with the right audio source, though even when used with YouTube videos they work without "complaint". I would echo the usual complaints with the bass when it comes to the stock pair, however I've lived with them for a while and I can say that the bass does show up with nice extension and clean definition in songs that feature it. Overall I'd say that they are wonderful for people who wish to hear clean and treble with little fatigue, well executed mids, and reasonable bass. They are a cut above most in it's price range based on what I've heard.

General Use - For all those wondering these headphones have a number of features that make them worthwhile for portable use, being capable of putting out a large amount of sound in quiet locations with no issue. Tested in the university library. As a "gaming" headphone they are adequate. The crisp sound production and soundstage are helpful here, however they aren't exactly made for this purpose so I would be hesitant to put them in that market. 

V-Moda M80
Build - I feel that the overall build is better, for the sake of comfort, but does not have a comparable seal. The phones can even feel loose at times. The look is quite wonderful, but may appeal to some more than others (as is the way of aesthetics). While the pads are a bit harsh at first a few weeks with them can loosen them up a bit. Similar to the Mikros the m80's come with a nice case and a few other bits and pieces. 

Sound - I've had less time with these, but from what I have heard they are just as excellent as everyone seems to think. They are mostly accurate, and have good clarity in general. However I noticed a warmth and bass response with them that set them distinctly apart from the Mikros phones. Honestly the bass response seems a bit surprising for a set their size, not much but a bit. I would say that they appeal more to the bass centered listener, without forgoing all sanity like other headphones I won't mention. They don't have the Mikros' soundstage but this seems to work out to their advantage when listening to the right kind of music. The overall presentation seems more warm in general. As a headphone they are less distorted than most offerings bearing similar signature and render great mids with somewhat underwhelming highs.

General Use - I would mention that they leak more sound than the Mikros, but not to such as magnitude as any general semi-open. For non-music purposes I would say they are ok, I wouldn't recommend them to a person looking for gamer type phones but then I wouldn't look to the Mikros for that either.  

Conclusion: For the price it's difficult to understand why the Mikros 90's are so undervalued in the average-joe audio world but maybe it's just a lack of marketing. They are great quality for the price, considering that they can produce quality comparable to phones that generally cost twice as much. That being said the m80's have their own unique signature which is different from the Mikros 90 and works well in it's own right. I'd say that the issues of comfort may have larger-headed types looking for a different set, and as a guy who uses headphones for hours at a time (programmer and the like) I may have to either mod mine or sell them to make room for something different. However for those with a bit of extra money just wafting about, these are worth adding to a good collection or using on the go. 

Full Disclosure - I have little cash and generally buy things to last, so in that vein I've sampled precious few headphones and never anything over the price of $300 (MSRP). I own no amp and I use rhapsody as my main source for music. I'm considering either audio-technica ATH-A700 or soundmagic HP100 for my next pair.          

Very nice impressions! Thanks.

Apr 14, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #4,946 of 6,783
I own both and the Mikros 90 has less sub bass unless modded, more forward mids, and brighter treble with more detail but a smaller more intimate sound stage. When I modded them they did start to sound a bit more alike. But they definitely have a different sound.

Apr 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #4,949 of 6,783
I like them both sonically about the same as one is more laid back and just enjoyable while the other is more detail oriented. They make a nice combo. But I have to say I gravitate to the signature of the K545 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back