Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 27, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #2,446 of 6,783
I have a hard time taking that post seriously...

Preconceptions can be difficult to overcome.
I don't miss my HE-6--and I certainly don't miss my HE-500.
With the money gleaned from the sale of the HE-6, I bought two more Mikros 90s and two nice SS amps.  
smile_phones.gif

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #2,448 of 6,783

I have hard time believing that you are still worried about buying these headphones.

Even if we are full of crap and the Mikros is a horrible headphone, you will only be down around $70.

Just buy them.   

I'm sure you won't regret it.   If you do, I'm sure you can sell them for the same price you bought them for...if not now, when supplies of new models are finally depleted.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #2,449 of 6,783
Well currently I'm really considering doing the DIY stratoKOSSter

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #2,450 of 6,783

I have hard time believing that you are still worried about buying these headphones.

Even if we are full of crap and the Mikros is a horrible headphone, you will only be down around $70.

Just buy them.   

I'm sure you won't regret it.   If you do, I'm sure you can sell them for the same price you bought them for...if not now, when supplies of new models are finally depleted.

I'm basically with this. I bought pataburd's HE-6 and own a set of HD650s and I don't put the Mikros in the same tier as either of those, but that said, they're an extremely solid mid-fi headphone that is definitely worth their $300 msrp. And you're getting it for 70 bucks. It's definitely worth it. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #2,451 of 6,783
Another new owner here. Ordered Monday from Amazon at $70 and got them yesterday. Can't beat that. Anyway, what follows is sort of a stream of consience first impressions. For reference, my main stereo has Martin Logan Vista's with two SVS ultra subs. Headphones on hand for comparison are Sennheiser 580's (oldies but goodies), Grado SR-60's, Ultrasone Pro-650. I also use Ety-ER6, and HiFiman RE-400 IEM's. Used Microsoft Surface and my second generation Zune as sources to this point, with a short stint on my iPod 5G. Waiting patiently for my Super Geek Out.

First the bad news. For me (large head) I'm having problems with the fit. All the other cans above are way more comfortable, especially the 580's with their soft velvet pads. The clamping force is high, but more anoying that that for me is the way the earpieces rotate towards the front of my head which ends up putting most of the pressure on the jaw muscles in front of my ear. It's not a deal breaker for me, since I listen to cans for short segments of time as I usually take them off several times an hour to leave my desk. My wife however said they were comfy so those of average head size probably will think I'm nuts. I'll play with stretching and bending the headband to try and change the angle it hits my ears.

The sound does remind me of my Vista's minus the subs. Nice and clean, and certainly the best mid and treble of all the cans I have here. There is a bit of a cupped hands type of coloration and a little bit of grain in the treble that I hope will disappear with break in, but it's not objectionable. My other cans sound thicker in comparison. Acoustic guitars and orchestra are very good with the Mikros. Actually everything I've played so far sounds good with these.

I haven't come to a definitive conclusion about the bass. This is of course subjective. At this point the 580's a and the Pro-650s seem to make string bass, and kick drums sound a little more forward with slightly more resonance to them. The reason for this is their bass is a bit "looser" for lack of a better word, but does sound maybe a little more real. However the Mikros bass is tight and well defined.

Perhaps the bass will losen up a little with break in. The one impression I keep coming back to is that initially the bass seems slightly constipated.
wink.gif
 It's there, but just quite can't make it out to my ears.

All in all, I would say first impressions are quite positive. The clairty is better than I expected and with some break in and stretched headband, they will do nicely for me. Overall I think they do stand up to Martin Logan's claim that they sound like their speakers. If anything changes after they get some hours on them, I'll follow up. For now they are definitely keepers sound wise and a real bargain at the current prices.

Happy listening,

Chuck

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,452 of 6,783
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #2,453 of 6,783
they're an extremely solid mid-fi headphone

Mid-fi? 
eek.gif

You better hide from pataburd. 

This is what happened to the last guy who made such a claim:

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #2,454 of 6,783
It's not so much sibilance, even though at certain times I do hear sibilance. It's the added 'hypeness' (best way I can describe it) added which is frankly unnecessary. It makes them more fatiguing. Don't get me wrong, I do love them but that 2khz-7.25khz peak is annoying.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,455 of 6,783

Either buy it or don't.....not that big a deal at the current prices, is it? What about his post is so hard to take seriously? It's his impressions - his ears. I took the plunge, I'm happy. Mind you, the bar wasn't set that high (Grado SR60i, AKG K172HD, PSB M4U-2).

Yup. @Nimzerz, Pataburd is serious, but they are his opinions. Would you find them to be better or as good as the HE-500's? Only you will know. But one thing for sure is that the Mikros 90's are indeed great, so for the price you can't really lose. If you end up not wanting them, you won't have any problem selling them once they are sold out everywhere. My guess though is that you would become a fan to some degree like almost everyone else has become.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2,456 of 6,783
It's not so much sibilance, even though at certain times I do hear sibilance. It's the added 'hypeness' (best way I can describe it) added which is frankly unnecessary. It makes them more fatiguing. Don't get me wrong, I do love them but that 2khz-7.25khz peak is annoying.

Can you point out a spot in a particular song which exhibits this? (not sure if I asked for this before from you)

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #2,457 of 6,783
Feb 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,458 of 6,783
Good luck with that...

:beerchug:
Do you or anyone else know if it's worth the money/effort? Does the sq warrant the time and money?

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #2,459 of 6,783

Mid-fi? 
eek.gif

You better hide from pataburd. 

This is what happened to the last guy who made such a claim:

^

.... Godfather Pata Hypa' taking down Logan 90s haterz naysayerz like a BOSS!!!
cool.gif

This Thread is gonna' be the death of me. LMAO : P

Originally Posted by Trunks159 

What we need is a mod to do away with that lower treble peak.

I had the same issue, but I called it upper mid.

+

+

Yup. @Nimzerz, Pataburd is serious, but they are his opinions. Would you find them to be better or as good as the HE-500's? Only you will know. But one thing for sure is that the Mikros 90's are indeed great, so for the price you can't really lose. If you end up not wanting them, you won't have any problem selling them once they are sold out everywhere. My guess though is that you would become a fan to some degree like almost everyone else has become.

^
I had such fatiguing listning experiences as well, cuz after i listen to these Logans via my ipod nano/ ventrurecraft DAP set up which is really tight and clean sounding makes my ears ring a bit after couple of hours, hence i attribute this to the more crisp upper mids/ lower treble peak, etc etc or what nots due to it's forwardness/ lushness.

BUT i experience no such listening fatigue, or very little off of my FiiO dac/Schiit Vali desktop setup which is more full, with better/ bigger bass and is less crisp/ sharp sounding compared to my portable set up, so............... this makes me believe that your source has A LOT to do with the "peaks" and fatigue some of ya'll are having.

My 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back