Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Feb 26, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #2,387 of 6,783
Jeez, stop being so afraid of the truth
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,388 of 6,783
What we need is a mod to do away with that lower treble peak.

Man i was wondering if I was the only obe who thought the treble was a bit sharp :p. Going to see how things go after a bit of burn in.

Oh btw sf, never said I wasn't going to try the bass mods. Just in due time. A little sub bass boost might be interesting... But again going to wait and see how they are after burn in.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,389 of 6,783
This is the worst "cheap" can to walk away from....IMHO.

Mikros has a clean refined sound...like finely shifted flour...v absorbing once u get sucked into the way it presents the music...
Once u get sucked into the hype.

Well said!
beerchug.gif

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,390 of 6,783
Man i was wondering if I was the only obe who thought the treble was a bit sharp
tongue.gif
. Going to see how things go after a bit of burn in.

Huh! I haven't noticed that myself yet (and I was expecting it a bit before burn in). Most likely the music I am listening to isn't prone to that.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #2,391 of 6,783
Huh! I haven't noticed that myself yet (and I was expecting it a bit before burn in). Most likely the music I am listening to isn't prone to that.

Hmm that's probably the case. The kefs treble is a bit more subdued so it works well on some aggressive edm tracks. Though with some other music I listen to its not as bad... Though i don't think sharp was the exact, accurate term to use.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,392 of 6,783
Fired up the Burson last night.
Nice bass rendering, but overall I was missing the tube "realism", body and breath of the Bada's 6SN7 tubes.  The Burson also sounded comparatively 2-dimensional versus the Fitz-improved Bada PH-12.  Plus the dynamics and micro-dynamics edge goes to the Bada.
The GCHA is due tomorrow.  Had a good audition last week at the audio shop.  Let's hear how things play out on the home system.
The winner of the first round (HA-160 v. GCHA) advances to final versus the Lehmann BCL [which I have not found yet].
Will keep the open-cell foam mod going for the next 50-100 hours.

I made money on the Burson ...blush.

---------------------

Hey, u used quite a big thick piece of foam on your first cave dive huh...did it fill up the whole cavern?
How does it affect the sound depth?

----------------------

My Sansa clip zip just died on me...hung...is there a reset button somewhere?

-------------------

Using my wife's Sansa loaded with mp3 now....
The lower resolution still makes the Mikros sound quite good..like a regular popish can.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #2,393 of 6,783
Hmm that's probably the case. The kefs treble is a bit more subdued so it works well on some aggressive edm tracks. Though with some other music I listen to its not as bad... Though i don't think sharp was the exact, accurate term to use.

Later on it is sure going to be interesting to ab the 90's with the m500's. One thing for sure though.. putting on the m500's is relatively like putting on soft comfy pillows onto the ears... can the 90's ever be that comfy? We will see after the headband stretching... 

Feb 26, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,395 of 6,783
  Try holding the home and power button for 20 secs on the clip. 

Yup, that should do it. Hmm, I'll have to try the 90's on my clip zip..

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #2,397 of 6,783
I'm a bit reticent to post this since the hype train appears to have too much fuel already, but these are damn impressive. My reference for portable cans at this price range was my Gemini HSR1000 (a.k.a. Takstar pro 80) and the Mikros thoroughly whoop them on all (sonic) fronts. These have an incredibly wide and natural soundstage that belies their size.

If I manage to remove brain-crushing clamping force with some shoebox therapy I'll consider this $60 very well spent. The prospect of these improving with burn-in blows my mind.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #2,398 of 6,783
  I'm a bit reticent to post this since the hype train appears to have too much fuel already, but these are damn impressive. My reference for portable cans at this price range was my Gemini HSR1000 (a.k.a. Takstar pro 80) and the Mikros thoroughly whoop them on all (sonic) fronts. These have an incredibly wide and natural soundstage that belies their size.

If I manage to remove brain-crushing clamping force with some shoebox therapy I'll consider this $60 very well spent. The prospect of these improving with burn-in blows my mind.

Get on board...

...the more the merrier.

Feb 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #2,399 of 6,783

you don't even need the shoebox, the headband is made with a bendable metal part, you can adjust it more to your preference by bending. Just be careful not to bend the arms, them suckers are fragile. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back