Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 30, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #691 of 6,783
  I had a couple of sessions with KEF, and I own Mikros 90. While I am not sure I would pay 300 for ML, I certainly wouldn't pay 300 for KEF, even at 99 I would be very hesitated. I have stated before, I have the same opinion regarding KEF M500, that is their emphasis on sound signature and the realization of that in the end product is just simple not on the same level. KEF sounds very good to a degree, it is something pleasing yet extremely boring, like all the "fun", "midfi" product.

As for the soundstage, Mikros 90 does it with so much elasticity in regard to different recordings, I can hardly give the edge to KEF here. It's like what they say about cans that have a big soundstage sometimes don't convey intimacy well. It could be a very tricky thing. 

Yup, we all hear things differently.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #693 of 6,783

That's why I am conservative with my hype. 

The thing about the hype in this thread is that we are promoting a bargain.    From the beginning most of us were shouting "holy crap guys, this headphone is great and it only costs $60".  Now that it is up to $90, I still believe that it is a great bargain.

The Mikros is inexpensive...and most of us believe that it can go to-to-toe with the $300+ models.  If people believe this thread is full of hype, then they are free to spend more money.  They might not end up with a better headphone though.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #694 of 6,783
People are obviously misunderstanding pata. The KEF isn't bad. Look, if the ML, which is better than the KEF in every way costs $100, then it's only logical for the KEF to not be worth the asking price. The KEF is better IMO than the Momentum, 1r, psb m4u, fs1, and others so by that logic, they should all be worth under $100. Thats with the transitive property of inequality.

The KEF doesn't have too many accessories, I can see it breaking before the ML, even though I don't see either breaking; the isolation is only OK.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #696 of 6,783

The thing about the hype in this thread is that we are promoting a bargain.    From the beginning most of us were shouting "holy crap guys, this headphone is great and it only costs $60".  Now that it is up to $90, I still believe that it is a great bargain.

The Mikros is inexpensive...and most of us believe that it can go to-to-toe with the $300+ models.  If people believe this thread is full of hype, then they are free to spend more money.  They might not end up with a better headphone though.

I understand that. I agree with what you're saying, that's why I bought it.

My mistake. I won't thread much on that now.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #699 of 6,783
People are obviously misunderstanding pata. The KEF isn't bad. Look, if the ML, which is better than the KEF in every way costs $100, then it's only logical for the KEF to not be worth the asking price. The KEF is better IMO than the Momentum, 1r, psb m4u, fs1, and others so by that logic, they should all be worth under $100. Thats with the transitive property of inequality.

The KEF doesn't have too many accessories, I can see it breaking before the ML, even though I don't see either breaking; the isolation is only OK.

They both originally cost $300 and both are good at what they do...two different sonic signatures that appeal to different tastes, as are the other 'phones mentioned above. They are not all of a sudden "overpriced" just because the ML is discounted to 1/3.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #701 of 6,783
Must be lol. I used to like all those supposedly "fun" signature cans too. Maybe I have grew fatigue of them...

I love the sound out of the M500's and my X1's, and also out of my K240 Sextetts. I suppose they are all "mid-fi" cans, and I suppose they all have "fun" (albeit different) sound signatures, so obviously I am not yet bored with that sound. I don't have any experience with top tier cans, so I can't yet judge how they would change my impressions.

Other than the 90's, what headphones have contributed to you growing bored of mid-fi/fun sounding headphones?

Jan 30, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #702 of 6,783
Always tot on-ears are like bookshelf speakers...
And full cans like floor standers
Both can be enjoyed for what it is...

That should save my he6's a'se :p

Jan 30, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #703 of 6,783

I love the sound out of the M500's and my X1's, and also out of my K240 Sextetts. I suppose they are all "mid-fi" cans, and I suppose they all have "fun" (albeit different) sound signatures, so obviously I am not yet bored with that sound. I don't have any experience with top tier cans, so I can't yet judge how they would change my impressions.

Other than the 90's, what headphones have contributed to you growing bored of mid-fi/fun sounding headphones?

Well, I have heard X1 and it's exactly what I imagine it would sound, (does that make sense?) pretty impressed actually. L1? not so much. Everything shows up like a bloody mess on those.

I guess I was looking for something different to begin with, after I had quite a few fun cans. They could make some poor recordings bearable but I felt like I wasn't getting tonality right on a lot of them, meaning if the piano hit a note, it just sounds like a note, on a piano-like instrument, but not that particular note specific to that recording. The speed on some of those weren't as fast as I like them also. Besides, I am having a increasing need to have the layering of the music to be distinct, maybe because I am losing my hearing lol. I feel like when I use cans like K550 or Mikros 90 I can take out each part of the composition individually if I am focusing on that, yet the whole presentation would be cohesive enough to put them back together effortlessly. So, yeah, AKG 550 comes to mind, and Sennheiser HD800.

Jan 31, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #705 of 6,783
  Hey guys.
I'm interested in Martin Logan Mikros 90. But I'm considering also the Sennheiser Amperior, do you know the differences? Which is better?
I owned only IEM before, and I want to make the jump to headphones!
Thank you all for attention :)

I have both, and got great deals on them, which made the choice to purchase them much easier. They are both excellent headphones, the Sens are more stable on my head, so they work a little better for when I'm moving around, I love the sound of both so you really cant go wrong with either one. The Mikros has a more refined bass, that goes quite a bit deeper, it can be an incredible experience. The amperiors have a more modular look, they have been discontinued / replaced with a re cabled model model with the same aluminum cup, for a lot more money. If you are getting them to listen to at home, I'd highly recommend the Martin Logans, if you plan on getting out and about, or for work like me, the Amperiors are a great choice, for ergonomics and great sound, Sennheiser has sold a ton of these in various HD25 models, and the amperiors are the best upgrade so far in the model development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back