Marshmallow's > e500's?
Oct 21, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jgonino

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been using a pair of marshmallows for my portable rig, and i finally pulled the trigger on a pair of e500's. I plugged them into my GV7, connected my ipod, and started playing something i knew quite well. AH! They sounded awful!

I tried every different tip (yellow foam, black foam, grey rubber, clear flex, triple flange) and i still only get marginal performance. I Love the soundstage and mids, but there is no bass! They just sound really really bright. My marshmallows sound the opposite. No Soundstage, but plenty of bass, and clean highs.

What should i do?

p.s. i should also note that my MM's are kramer modded, with vibe tips.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 26
You shouldn't do anything other than to sell your E500s. Seems like you like bass, the kind that your Beyer's give, so there's no reason to settle for something that costs much more.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that the Marshmellows are better than any Shures, but you have your honest opinion so that's good.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but there is no bass! They just sound really really bright.

confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I am baffled..

According to popular belief, bass and midrange is what they do best. And the have rolled off treble making them sound "smoother" than say the er4s... not bright.

You should listen to them for a week. Within this time period, you should not use the marshmallows.

come back and tell us your new opinion. -If it is the same, your wallet will thank you.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You shouldn't do anything other than to sell your E500s. Seems like you like bass, the kind that your Beyer's give, so there's no reason to settle for something that costs much more.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that the Marshmellows are better than any Shures, but you have your honest opinion so that's good.

ok so i wasant actually saying they were better, just that for the moment, i dont understand how a triple driver iem can have so bass, and my single dynamic driver marshmallows can have decent impactful bass.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #6 of 26
The only was i can describe it would be this: Its like someone took the subwoofer control on my klipsch promedia 2.1's and turned it to "off". Great mids and highs, but no bass. Also, i agree with the smooth highs; they sound great IMO.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 26
I found that at first... but the more tracks I listened to, the more I realized the e500's are just more accurate. Although I do miss the 'funness' of having bass everywhere (EP-630), I enjoy the clarity and detail a lot more. For some tracks, there is a lot of bass, and others there isn't. I just think these reproduce the recording more accurately than the budget IEMs do.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 26
have you tried different sources and amps? Probably a good idea to make sure that it isn't just bad synergy before writing off the e500. At the same time, armature IEMs aren't for everyone. But test a little more before you send them back.

Oct 21, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #10 of 26
i thought that as well. I have tried all of the tips, and i like the small rubber sleeves the best. When i insert them, i get lots of isolation, so i know im getting a good seal. Maybe im just a basshead.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so i wasant actually saying they were better, just that for the moment, i dont understand how a triple driver iem can have so bass, and my single dynamic driver marshmallows can have decent impactful bass.

ok this sound to me like cheap earphones to ear syndrome!

by this i mean your ears are clearly used to the big ass bass of the marshmallow and nothing less is acceptable, i agree about the smooth highs of the e500 they are a delight but the bass being light! thats crazy, you would throw etymotics straight in the trash can!
evil_smiley.gif
wink.gif
get it...trash can.

anyway, bad jokes aside my advise to you would either learn to love better quality bass or stick with the cheaper phones because there are big bass phones out there but not many match the boom of cheaper phones...and thats what it is...boom not bass.

Oct 21, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 26
I know it may seem like i am just used to my MM's, but i listened to my sr-60's right after the e500's, and even they have more bass. Maybe they are defective.

also i must note that after listening to my e500's more, i am really hating the MM's. I cant go back to them, but i really miss any kind of low end presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back