Mars by Holst
Nov 4, 2010 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sparktography

100+ Head-Fier
I'm just getting into the joys of great audio gear, and I'm interested in checking out some of my favorite classical pieces on a really hi-fi system. I've only got a low-fi rip of The Planets by Holst - can anyone point me at a well recorded and mastered version of this this piece so I can listen to it with gear that can replicate the nuance and subtlety I'm coming to appreciate?

I'd prefer to buy a lossless file somewhere, but a reference to a good CD purchase is good to and I'd rip it myself.

Thanks!

Nov 4, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 10
Looked around and found this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/5905/what-s-the-best-recording-of-holst-the-planets

If you're serious about classical, you might want to pick up a SACD player. The Sony SCD-CE595 is affordable and you'll get access to some wonderful hi-rez recordings with excellent mastering and production values.

Nov 4, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Most classical music on major labels is well recorded. It's better to look for versions that are well conducted.

My favorites are Karajan and Boult.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 10
I strongly disliked Karajan's version myself, but to each his own.
wink.gif

I have four different versions of this suite (and have heard many more), but the one I keep coming back to is the Charles Dutoit/OSM recording on Decca (Penguin Classics). Its production quality is exquisite, and it offers what I think is one of the most consistent and polished presentations I've heard. The rendition of "Mars" is incredible (though James Levine and the CSO on DG might just edge it out here), with DEEP bass notes that will really show off lower end extension. The other movements are phenomenally rendered as well--if I had to quibble, I'd say the chorale in "Jupiter" is a little dry and staid, but it's still very good. Overall, I like Dutoit's tempi and musicality, and the players are no slouches, either--excellent chops all around.

I highly recommend this edition, though Levine/CSO on DG is another good recording if you like the more bombastic movements of the suite ("Mars", "Jupiter") and don't mind if the slower movements ("Venus" and "Neptune") leave a little to be desired (I feel Levine sort of rushes these and doesn't really bring the emotion across, but that's just IMO).

Previn/RPO on Telarc was a real disappointment. With the exception of "Mercury", both the performance and especially the production are lifeless, IMHO. I was really surprised at the latter, given Telarc's excellent reputation. Even "bright" cans like the DT880 have so far failed to inject life into this performance.

Nov 5, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks all! Between the thread Uncle Erik pointed me at, and the suggestions here I'm going to check out Grainger and Dutoit, both on DG.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 10

I download a lot of music - mostly lossless - but also 24bit, and lossy too. sometimes I download the same record in all different formats for comparison of sound quality. I cannot tell a difference with any of them. I really, really wished to hear a difference between the lossless and lossy, and I tried in different occasions, but it just wasn't there.

perhaps your gear is more revealing than mine. have you done a comparison lately?

buying a SACD player is a very good advise indeed, if you want superior sound than redbook
Quote:
I'm just getting into the joys of great audio gear, and I'm interested in checking out some of my favorite classical pieces on a really hi-fi system. I've only got a low-fi rip of The Planets by Holst - can anyone point me at a well recorded and mastered version of this this piece so I can listen to it with gear that can replicate the nuance and subtlety I'm coming to appreciate?

I'd prefer to buy a lossless file somewhere, but a reference to a good CD purchase is good to and I'd rip it myself.

Thanks!

Nov 6, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
I download a lot of music - mostly lossless - but also 24bit, and lossy too. sometimes I download the same record in all different formats for comparison of sound quality. I cannot tell a difference with any of them. I really, really wished to hear a difference between the lossless and lossy, and I tried in different occasions, but it just wasn't there.

perhaps your gear is more revealing than mine. have you done a comparison lately?

buying a SACD player is a very good advise indeed, if you want superior sound than redbook

A long time ago I did comparisons between 128k, 256k, 320k, and lossless. At the time I could hear significant differences up to 320k, but I couldn't hear a difference between 320k and lossless. I had a pretty varied collection, but I targeted all net-new purchases to be a minimum of 256k, and tried to but CD's and do 320k rips for things I really liked.

Recently I've purchased much better gear (JH16's and a topkit D4) and it's a whole new world. I re-did my A/B test between 320k and lossless and can hear a difference. On some tracks it's much more pronounced than other tracks, and in some cases it makes a much bigger difference than for other tracks.

Working in the software industry I'm kind of anal about not committing piracy, so re-downloading my whole collection isn't feasable, but I'm going through the process of re-ripping all my CD's to ALAC, and considering making all net-new music purchases being CD. I can't afford re-buying all of my music, but for a few favorite things (like the Planets) I think it's worth $20 to upgrade from my old 128k MP3 file to an ALAC file.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #8 of 10
I try to be scientific about it. If I can't guess correctly more than 50% of the time using an ABX comparator, then no matter how much my brain thinks I'm hearing a difference, I ain't. Pure and simple.

It's been almost two years since I last tested, and IIRC I failed the test at V0 for MP3 (around 245 kbps average) and 192 kbps on AAC. And I was really wracking my brain at that point, but up until there I scored right at least 70% of the time, and 100% most of the way. Most of my library is in 256 kbps AAC based on the results of that test.

I'll have to retest with my Beyers and see if anything has changed, as the headphones I had at the time were kinda crappy, and I know now not to just stick my cans in the headphone jack on the computer and expect good sound.

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #9 of 10
I did a careful level balanced comparison of a Pentatone high bitrate recording to the rebook layer of the same SACD. There was absolutely no audible difference. If well mastered, CDs are all you need.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Boult http://www.amazon.com/Planets-Enigma-Variations-Holst/dp/B000002S4Z/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1289195159&sr=1-3
I don't know whether the reissue on GROC has any improvement.
But the sound of the old CD issue I have is pretty darn good.
Unlike some of the later recordings put more effort on the famous parts like Mars and Jupiter, Boult gave every part independent right to be a great composition.
The Elgar's Enigma Variations in the same CD is outstanding, too.

Karajan has the most beautiful played Jupiter, but the Mars is too smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back