MarkL Mods/ Lawton Audio
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Silenced

100+ Head-Fier
Nov 11, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #3 of 21
I have three phones from Lawton Audio (LA2, MD5 bal., LA7 bal.). These are phones that Mark built, and before the HD800, got all the Head-time. They share time now, but I will never sell them. Modern Music is the forte' of the Lawton phone!

DIY is certainly cheaper! I have two versions of the V4 cup and they are better IMO than the standard factory cup (She-Oak and Mahogany).

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In Short is the "LA-2000" really "One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones" or just a marketing ploy.

The LA-5000 (modded D5000) certainly isnt. Nor is the stock D7000. Not to these ears and not by a long way. -edit- To quantify that more particularly. I'd put the headphones along the same lines as (although in no order of preference relative to) as the HD600, HD650, K701, Ergo 2, K340 and most Grados. But not on the shelf with the big boys like the K1000, HD800, Qualia 010, R10, any full size Stax, or the TakeT. I'd be on the fence picking between the LA5000 and the Edition 9. But I didn't rate the Edition 9 very high. Of the non-top-tier headphones my favourite, on balance, is probably the HD600. In case that extra extra context helps. -edit-

However, Mr Lawton obviously believes they are, that's why he sold one of his R10s. To prove it. There's a lot of others who think that they're awesome too.

Theres a ****load of money to be made in the premium money for simple mods business. Just look at how much Russ Andrews is coining.

Nov 12, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #5 of 21
From my brief listens to the modded Denon cans, I'd say they're not even remotely close to the R10s to these ears. They have nice bass extension, but other than that sound pretty average for a midfi dynamic headphone.

Nov 12, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silenced /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/how...0-mods-299627/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f38/in...s-more-376339/

I need some help. Could these mods possibly give the improvements that people laud them for here? Is getting the denon woodied just a cosmetic change? What are your opinions about mods in general? Is this is all just placebo and over-enthusiasm from DIYers or is it the real deal? In Short is the "LA-2000" really "One Of The World's Finest Dynamic Headphones" or just a marketing ploy.

You can argue about the difference cables make but changing the acoustic dampening, earpads and resonance control of a headphone changes the performance. The marketing claim of "one of the worlds finest" is an empty claim, just filler words.

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonReborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which is best, LA2000-Lite or D7000 with Jmoney earpads?

LA2000 Lite. The D7000 driver isn't that much better than the D2K/D5K, and a heavily modded D2000 or D5000 will outperform it.

Hell, I know people who have said a simple recable job can make D2K sound better than D7K.

The mods themselves I'm not too sure about. I'm contemplating getting them done for my D5000, at least in part, but I've heard mixed opinions on them (mainly positive ones though).

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by DragonReborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, thanks for the swiftt reply. But how can you be so sure when you're not sure about the mods? (no challenge, just curious) The lite version comes with the D7K cable.

Although I've never heard a modded D series, and I do like the D7000 sound, the only thing differentiating a D7000 from D2000 is drivers, cable, and cups. LA2000 lite eliminates the cable and cups difference, and I've heard the drivers make a negligible difference. Hell, I've heard people say that just a plain old recabled D2000 (with a higher end cable than D7K cable) outperforms a D7000.

Now that said, I don't know how it will perform after the markl mod, but before the markl mod it should be about equal to if not better than (due to deeper cups) a D7000. Markl mod is a love it or hate it thing from what I know.

Regardless, JMoney pads are fantastic so I suggest if you get the LA2000 you eventually pick a pair of those up as they are far better than stuffed stock (I've used stuffed stock, they suck).

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 21
If you modify the acoustic properties of headphones, then yes, indeed, there will be a difference. A great many headphones are modded by Head-fiers to change or improve the sound. You can easily, while listening, cup your hands over the back of open headphones to hear how easy it is to change how they sound.

The controversial issue, IMO, with the Lawton Audio mods is arguably the cost and, of course, the claims, as the top models put them up against a lot of other, very serious headphones.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you modify the acoustic properties of headphones, then yes, indeed, there will be a difference. A great many headphones are modded by Head-fiers to change or improve the sound. You can easily, while listening, cup your hands over the back of open headphones to hear how easy it is to change how they sound.

The controversial issue, IMO, with the Lawton Audio mods is arguably the cost and, of course, the claims, as the top models put them up against a lot of other, very serious headphones.

Have you tried the markl mods? Would you say it completely changes the sound signature, or merely improves upon what is already there?

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried the markl mods? Would you say it completely changes the sound signature, or merely improves upon what is already there?

Yes. It does exactly what markl says it does. It might be worth adding though that he has a reputation for listening very loud, where vibration would be more of an issue I'd think. I say this as, depending on volume, I liked how they sounded stock as well.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hell, I know people who have said a simple recable job can make D2K sound better than D7K.

Can these people step forward so I can slap some sense into them?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back