MarkL mod or Mad Dogs'
Jan 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Chadley

Head-Fier
I currently have the D2000 and was thinking of either doing the MarkL mod on them, or selling them and getting a pair of Mad Dogs.  Does anyone have experience with both of them.  I am curious what the difference in sound would be and which one is preferred over the other.  I listen to all types of music (excluding Country) so I am looking for a good all around headphone.

Jan 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:
I currently have the D2000 and was thinking of either doing the MarkL mod on them, or selling them and getting a pair of Mad Dogs.  Does anyone have experience with both of them.  I am curious what the difference in sound would be and which one is preferred over the other.  I listen to all types of music (excluding Country) so I am looking for a good all around headphone.

Both are excellent all around headphones.

It comes down to what you want. The D2000 has looser, but more volumous sub-bass, and a little brighter treble, and a slightly better sound stage. The Mad Dog is more neutral, tighter, better controlled, slightly smaller sound stage (depending on pads used; stax pads are another story). If you're going to dampen the Denons, I would just say go ahead and go Mad Dog, you'll appreciate the planar mids more and still have the same bass, but with more control; and if you add sr007 stax pads you'll have a very similar sound stage as your denons. Then just consider comfort. The Denons are easily more comfortable, so if you think you can stand a heavier headphone with a little less comfort, then go Mad Dog.

Very best,

Jan 17, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the info.  On The LawtonAudio site I see they have 3 different levels of Modding.  Would the level 1 mod put the D2000 on par with the Mad Dog's?  Do you know if the dog pads give a similiar sound as the stax pads? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back