Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Sep 14, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #826 of 970
Just picked up the 5909's yesterday. For reference, I've been using Beyer DT-1990's. Before that it was the T70's. I like clarity over bass, obviously, and haven't been willing to spend a lot until now. I'd been using my wife's Bose QC35's when I prep lunches, etc, in the morning because wife is sensitive to noise bleed and the smoothie-blender is very loud.

Well, the 5909's have met or exceeded expectations. Compared with the DT-1990's, the stage and separation are superior. Clarity is right on point. And with ANC enabled, the bass is stronger. What's amazing is how tight these are across the bandwidth. Meaning, the bass stays where it should be, and so on. It's there when it's called for, and not when it's not. In the meantime, the clarity is amazing.

If you are not prepared for it, and you're used to a warm or even bass-heavy sound, you will hate these. I thought I made a mistake when I first heard them. But you can't listen to Jamie XX's In Colour or Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends without knowing how magical these can be. I don't see how I can justify wiring up my DT 1990's and the external amp and all that, when I can put the 5909's on and dance around the house.

update: I cannot see where people are complaining about volume. I suppose it has to do with the source? I primarily use Tidal (high bitrate) and I couldn't imagine pushing the volume to max. Either wired to a device (MacBook Pro and iPhone) or via Bluetooh (AAC and LDAC - I got an LDAC transmitter).

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #827 of 970
Question:

Just purchased the No. 5909s.

NONE of my Android devices show the Mark Levinson Headphone App as an option in the Google Play Store.

All devices are current and updated on software (Android versions, security, and Play Store): Pixel 6 Pro / Samsung S22+ / Samsung Tab 7+

I have reached out to Harman support but have not heard back yet (past the initial acknowledgement and request for my device info, etc.)

At this point the devices do not even allow me to pair ...I imagine a firmware update is needed BUT I believe I need the App to do so. In any case, IMO having a working and supported App is crucial, regardless.

Any suggestions / advice? I do not have any other devices (older Android, nor Apple) on hand for a work around.

Thanks.

Sep 17, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #828 of 970
It's very odd that you can't pair the headphones to your devices, that should work regardless of firmware version and of app being installed or not.

If they don't connect, I'd assume they have a hardware fault.

Anyway, the app was available on the Play Store a few days ago when I last checked, and I can confirm now it's been currently set as with restricted access.

The reason for this, I assume is that they're coming out with an updated separate app for both N5909 and another ML audio device, and for whatever reason they "had to" delist the older app already (maybe a security bug? Not sure really what would justify that).

Or, maybe it was just dumb human error, and they'll restore it shortly.

Anyway, hopefully once they process your query they'll find an official workaround.

In the meantime, you can download the apk (installation file) from here: https://m.apkpure.com/mark-levinson-headphones/com.gemo.earphone.ml75

Sep 17, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #829 of 970
Question:

Just purchased the No. 5909s.

NONE of my Android devices show the Mark Levinson Headphone App as an option in the Google Play Store.

All devices are current and updated on software (Android versions, security, and Play Store): Pixel 6 Pro / Samsung S22+ / Samsung Tab 7+

I have reached out to Harman support but have not heard back yet (past the initial acknowledgement and request for my device info, etc.)

At this point the devices do not even allow me to pair ...I imagine a firmware update is needed BUT I believe I need the App to do so. In any case, IMO having a working and supported App is crucial, regardless.

Any suggestions / advice? I do not have any other devices (older Android, nor Apple) on hand for a work around.

Thanks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gemo.earphone.ml75&hl=en&gl=US&pli=1

Its literally the first result on Google.

EDIT : just saw previous post. Well at least a new app is good..... but release it quick!!

Sep 17, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #831 of 970
@matteventu Thanks! I've downloaded the apk file and have installed that 'version' of the ML Headphone App. The headphones are now paired to the Samsung tablet and the firmware is being updated as I type.

I really appreciate the help. I'll post the results following the update and listening session(s).

Thank you!!!

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:41 PM Post #832 of 970
I found the No5909 benefited from about 50 hours of burn in (using Isotek and Tellurium Q discs). Those hissing and popping noises the burn in uses seem to take the slight edge of the highs. Now it sounds quite smooth.

I could also just be going deaf, and that's why the highs seems smooth.

Sep 17, 2023 at 11:48 PM Post #833 of 970
@agisthos Thanks. I'm listening to Maria Callas' Casta diva (La Scala, 1960) at the moment and it is a bit edgier up top. Good you found run in helped.

Sep 18, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #834 of 970
Just received from Harman support:

"After replicating the issue, it seems that the Mark Levinson Headphones App is still not available for certain Android 13 units. However, since this is a new issue, we have immediately escalated it to the appropriate channels for investigation. Please be assured that our team is actively working to find a proper resolution. We will keep you updated on the progress and notify you as soon as we reach a solution."

Though this is likely a temporary issue for folks with Android devices and newly acquired 5909s, here are additional notes, should they be helpful in the interim:

- @matteventu 's advice to go the APK route was successful. Refer to Post #828 above. Note: I deleted (uninstalled) the APK as soon as the ML Headphone App was installed and ran a scan after. I did so for security reasons. I also chose my least vulnerable (least important) device for the APK download. YOMV

- the ML 'older' App did not size well on the Samsung Tab 7+ (It probably sizes fine on a phone). There isn't much functionality in the app (so not much of a loss in the interim)...the IMPORTANT thing is the automatic update of the firmware.

- Before I downloaded the APK, I was able to pair the 5909s to my Chromebook. The other devices would not pair. I received the following error message: "Couldn't pair with No. 5909 because of an incorrect PIN or passkey" or simply "Couldn't pair with No. 5909" In all cases the 5909 was recognized by the source /transmitter devices but they were not able to establish a pairing.

Again, posting the above in case it's helpful to someone.

I'll follow up with Harman's responses, if relevant.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #835 of 970
Just received from Harman support:

"After replicating the issue, it seems that the Mark Levinson Headphones App is still not available for certain Android 13 units. However, since this is a new issue, we have immediately escalated it to the appropriate channels for investigation. Please be assured that our team is actively working to find a proper resolution. We will keep you updated on the progress and notify you as soon as we reach a solution."

Though this is likely a temporary issue for folks with Android devices and newly acquired 5909s, here are additional notes, should they be helpful in the interim:

- @matteventu 's advice to go the APK route was successful. Refer to Post #828 above. Note: I deleted (uninstalled) the APK as soon as the ML Headphone App was installed and ran a scan after. I did so for security reasons. I also chose my least vulnerable (least important) device for the APK download. YOMV

- the ML 'older' App did not size well on the Samsung Tab 7+ (It probably sizes fine on a phone). There isn't much functionality in the app (so not much of a loss in the interim)...the IMPORTANT thing is the automatic update of the firmware.

- Before I downloaded the APK, I was able to pair the 5909s to my Chromebook. The other devices would not pair. I received the following error message: "Couldn't pair with No. 5909 because of an incorrect PIN or passkey" or simply "Couldn't pair with No. 5909" In all cases the 5909 was recognized by the source /transmitter devices but they were not able to establish a pairing.

Again, posting the above in case it's helpful to someone.

I'll follow up with Harman's responses, if relevant.

That response from Harman got me curious, as it shows incompatible with all of my Android devices, not just those on Android 13 and newe.

Edit: actually! On devices with Android 10 if still shows as available! Odd, ad previously I'm 100% sure it dod show as available/compatible also on those with Android 13.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #836 of 970
That response from Harman got me curious, as it shows incompatible with all of my Android devices, not just those on Android 13 and newe.

Edit: actually! On devices with Android 10 if still shows as available! Odd, ad previously I'm 100% sure it dod show as available/compatible also on those with Android 13.
this is a bit strange. I'm using zfold5 which is a android 13 device and the ML app works for me. maybe it's due to district restriction ?

Sep 20, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #837 of 970
In your case, you had already downloaded the App. In my case, it was about downloading for the first time on September 16th.

App still doesn't show in the Google Play Store for any of my Android 13 devices as of this moment / today.

Sep 30, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #838 of 970
In your case, you had already downloaded the App. In my case, it was about downloading for the first time on September 16th.

App still doesn't show in the Google Play Store for any of my Android 13 devices as of this moment / today.
i tried to uninstall and reinstall and still could get the app on my phone. i went to check and seems it works on my daps (android 10 based) and zfold 4 & 5 (both on android 13) but not my galaxy tab 8u and galaxy watch (of coz!). but anyway, hope ML could resolve the issue soon.

BTW, i just update the app to ver 0.11 from google play but sadly now it stalls on the searching for device screen everytime i opened the app. i rolled back to the ver 0.10 and everything works fine now.

Attachments

• 1696047310850.png
    1696047310850.png
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 30, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #839 of 970
App has indeed been updated yesterday (29th Sept) to version 0.1.1 and re-flagged as compatible with Android 13 on Play Store.

Ironic to hear @ddlo saying it no longer works and once reverted back to 0.1.0 it works fine again 😁

Sep 30, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #840 of 970
Harman / Mark Levinson have been very responsive in dealing with this (and working with me). I can also confirm that the ML Headphones App is available in the app store for all of my Android 13 devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back