Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Feb 18, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #752 of 970
I used to have connectivity issues with the app but realized it was due to Android using an old Bluetooth protocol as default. since changing it to the latest a few weeks ago I have had no issues!

Feb 27, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #753 of 970
Anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this minor defect , the leather for the headband is coming out. I'm guessing it was glued to the inner frame. Should I reach out to Mark Levinson?

Attachments

• 20230227_134004.jpg
    20230227_134004.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Feb 28, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #755 of 970
Anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this minor defect , the leather for the headband is coming out. I'm guessing it was glued to the inner frame. Should I reach out to Mark Levinson?
poor! same happened to mine. i just used some adhesive to fix it myself as ML said the warranty is non-transferrable and mine is bought used. :disappointed_relieved:

i saw the red stitching on the edges and thought it's fixed by stitching. but turns out it's just glued.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #757 of 970
I am getting my 5909 tomorrow. I am a long time audiophile but a total noob in headphone world. Recently I heard the AirPod max and was impressed enough to consider some BT cans for desk listening while working at computer.

So I purchased the XM4… my god… muddy, veiled and congested. Playing with the EQ helped a lot but it’s not my sound.

So upon spending time here researching it seems the more ‘audiophile’ or ‘neutral’ BT headphones are the 5909 or T&A Solitaire.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #758 of 970
I am getting my 5909 tomorrow. I am a long time audiophile but a total noob in headphone world. Recently I heard the AirPod max and was impressed enough to consider some BT cans for desk listening while working at computer.

So I purchased the XM4… my god… muddy, veiled and congested. Playing with the EQ helped a lot but it’s not my sound.

So upon spending time here researching it seems the more ‘audiophile’ or ‘neutral’ BT headphones are the 5909 or T&A Solitaire.

Congrats… they are a bit overpriced and bulky but by far the best sounding BT headphones I’ve ever tried. I have an XM4 also and you will notice an enormous improvement in clarity and depth with the 5909.

I feel the XM4 need LDAC and lots of messing with DSP and EQ to sound good. I use them for public transit commuting only because of the bulk and cost of the 5909. If it’s important to you, the mic on the 5909 for calls and teleconferences is very good also (in my experience, the XM4’s mic is unusable.)

Mar 9, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #759 of 970
Sound quality on these 5909's are just awesome. This is the sound I was naively expecting when I purchased the XM4. Fantastic clarity. The bass is tight and punchy, the opposite of the Sony which was flabby, warm and loose.

The treble is clear and non fatiguing to me, but I'm in my 40's and been to one too many Iron Maiden concerts. So for younger ears those treble complaints may be valid but I don't hear it.

My main use case for these phones is ambient, electronica and post rock - basically using the Bandcamp app via iPhone. So far all music genres sounds great.

The on-head detection is working perfectly for me, no issues there. The ANC is poor compared to the XM4 and that was expected. But I did notice the thuds for each footstep with ANC on that some are complaining of. It does not bother me as I wont use these while mobile, but if you are mobile and not light on your feet this will be an annoying problem. Maybe the XM4 also had this issue and I just did not notice it - but I don't think so.

Mar 10, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #760 of 970
Sound quality on these 5909's are just awesome. This is the sound I was naively expecting when I purchased the XM4. Fantastic clarity. The bass is tight and punchy, the opposite of the Sony which was flabby, warm and loose.

The treble is clear and non fatiguing to me, but I'm in my 40's and been to one too many Iron Maiden concerts. So for younger ears those treble complaints may be valid but I don't hear it.

My main use case for these phones is ambient, electronica and post rock - basically using the Bandcamp app via iPhone. So far all music genres sounds great.

The on-head detection is working perfectly for me, no issues there. The ANC is poor compared to the XM4 and that was expected. But I did notice the thuds for each footstep with ANC on that some are complaining of. It does not bother me as I wont use these while mobile, but if you are mobile and not light on your feet this will be an annoying problem. Maybe the XM4 also had this issue and I just did not notice it - but I don't think so.
As pointed out before, given wireless cans eventually die, this pair has a wired component, so longevity is there with the purchase.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #761 of 970
I have two questions:

1. How many of you are still suffering from unreliable Head-on detection? Mine is completely unusable.
2. Do you experience some crackling sounds when wearing the 5909 ANC or Ambient Aware mode on when you move you jaw or turn your head?
I do - and so did Terry Ellis (Pursuit Perfect System YT Channel):
Pursuit Perfect System - 5909 YT review

Reason for asking is to get collect some feedback for Mark Levinson support.

Mar 24, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #762 of 970
I have two questions:

1. How many of you are still suffering from unreliable Head-on detection? Mine is completely unusable.
2. Do you experience some crackling sounds when wearing the 5909 ANC or Ambient Aware mode on when you move you jaw or turn your head?

1. Yes absolutely, I keep mine off now until an update comes out.
2. I haven't noticed but I will have to be more attentive.

Mar 24, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #763 of 970
I have two questions:

1. No issue... but I don't use the head-on feature :ksc75smile:
2. No issue.

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #764 of 970
I have two questions:

I don't use head detection, haven't noticed any crackling

Mar 25, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #765 of 970
I have two questions:

Ad 2) yes, when I move my head swiftly from side to side I can hear very annoying crackling, also when quiet music is playing. I don’t know if it is a defect or normal behaviour.
I would really like to know it others can notice this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back