Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Jan 18, 2023 at 4:42 PM Post #736 of 970
Just a quick observation. I received the 5059 as a Christmas present and I haven't listened to much else since. The combination of great sound and bluetooth convenience has me reaching for these every time. I'm surprised, but that's what's happened.
Because they have the wired aspect the same battery issues (eventually die) does not disable the headphone?

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #737 of 970
Because they have the wired aspect the same battery issues (eventually die) does not disable the headphone?
That’s a great question! The passive 3.5mm cable goes through the USB-C connector, which almost guarantees the presence of a switching IC on the 5909 side. Some of these ICs have a default (no-power) “connected” state, whereas others ICs require ‘some’ power (even if very low) to connect anything. I hope the 5909 uses the former type of switching IC…

Jan 18, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #738 of 970
from what I can tell it works even even the battery is depleted. also when connected that way it can't be turned on

Jan 18, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #741 of 970
Depleted maybe: the battery may still have 2.5-2.8V available for some functions. But what about dead, as 0V no longer charging?
These work completely off, non-powered, no-battery mode.

Jan 19, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #742 of 970
polymathic is correct. these have a 100% true passive mode.

Jan 22, 2023 at 4:25 AM Post #743 of 970
during the lunar new year holiday, i listened mostly to my 5909. it's really great sounding with excellent range (i got bathys too but its connection became very choppy whenever i went to the kitchen. so do the bluetooth headamps i got like G5, BTR7 and go blu :sweat: )

i bought zmf VC and D8k after 5909 but i found myself reaching most of the time to 5909 for the convenience of not bound by the cable and source. i used to do other things like browsing or reading books while listening to music. not having to take off my cans and enjoy music uninterrupted when i go to get a cup of water or going to washroom is such a big plus. i listened to my 1266TC and DCA expanse on the desktop setup for a while this morning, the 5909 actually sounds similar to the expanse just with less dynamic and details. 1266 is much more fun and sounds out of the head but i could be totally satisfied with the performance of 5909.

it seems this round of high end bluetooth headphone already made vast advance. hope more brands will explore this market segment and pushing the boundary even further. if the next gen could be even better (e.g. better codec, a bit louder for 5909, etc.), i definitely will go for it :)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:19 AM Post #744 of 970
it seems no one has mentioned that the ML headphone app will only display the headphone pic in the radiant red colorway (but I got the black one!!!)

maybe i'm obsessive but i found it's really a disappointment that ML overlooked. B&O, even sony, did this correctly in their apps. for the price and status of ML, i think this is a must to take care of such details.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #745 of 970
lol I just want the app to work correctly 😛

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #746 of 970
it seems no one has mentioned that the ML headphone app will only display the headphone pic in the radiant red colorway (but I got the black one!!!)

maybe i'm obsessive but i found it's really a disappointment that ML overlooked. B&O, even sony, did this correctly in their apps. for the price and status of ML, i think this is a must to take care of such details.
Mine is red, so I never noticed! Since the app can check the FW version, I’m sure it can read some serial number which could be associated to the correct color. I can understand ML choice for a minimalistic app. But there is a fine line between minimalistic / simple, basic / simplistic, and… not caring! I agree with you, this “detail” denotes a rushed app, and the fact it has not been corrected indicates a lack of attention and care from ML…. Disappointing!

Jan 25, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #747 of 970
So do I! But, I also have an AKG N700NC-M2: objectively the SQ is pretty damn close to the 5909. The app is also very simple, except for the very nice “pseudo-PEQ” touch-based GEQ feature:
IMG1.png

Built quality is much better on the 5909, and I expect the same for the app. It’s a Mark Levinson after all…and it ain’t cheap!

EDIT: Why I am mentioning the AKG? They are both under Harman Audio (now Samsung) alongside JBL and others. It is believed that the team behind the AKG’s was quite involved in the 5909 development!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #748 of 970
maybe i'm lucky. the app seems working ok most of the time. i just have an odd but repeatable event; if i didn't quit the app and switch to other apps for some time than switch back, it'll think that there's new firmware available for updating. Yet in fact my phone (zfold4) is no longer connecting to my headphone at that point. the app will try downloading the firmware and attempting (in vain) to update the cans. i could just close the app and it'll then behave normally after re-start.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 3:54 PM Post #749 of 970
I've used the ML 5909 for another week now and THEY NEED TO RELEASE A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO REDUCE THE 10K TREBLE PEAK!!!!!!!!!!!! The ML 5909 sounds fantastic in LDAC and aptx adaptive modes and in 80% of songs they are punching way above their price point. But the treble peak is making some songs sound bad. Certain tracks, I don't want to take off the headphones. Then certain tracks, I feel like it's time to take off the headphones.

Can you guys just release a firmware update to fix the treble peak and keep everything else the same?

Another note. In ANC off mode with enhanced bass, there is more sub-bass (good amount) when on Windows aptx adaptive. However, if same settings but on my Samsung S10 LDAC (optimized audio quality), the bass is softer (not enough) than on Windows. So, for the firmware update, please also include a level 2 enhanced bass EQ profile (with treble peak fix).

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #750 of 970
I've used the ML 5909 for another week now and THEY NEED TO RELEASE A FIRMWARE UPDATE TO REDUCE THE 10K TREBLE PEAK!!!!!!!!!!!! The ML 5909 sounds fantastic in LDAC and aptx adaptive modes and in 80% of songs they are punching way above their price point. But the treble peak is making some songs sound bad. Certain tracks, I don't want to take off the headphones. Then certain tracks, I feel like it's time to take off the headphones.

Can you guys just release a firmware update to fix the treble peak and keep everything else the same?

Another note. In ANC off mode with enhanced bass, there is more sub-bass (good amount) when on Windows aptx adaptive. However, if same settings but on my Samsung S10 LDAC (optimized audio quality), the bass is softer (not enough) than on Windows. So, for the firmware update, please also include a level 2 enhanced bass EQ profile (with treble peak fix).

Yep, the treble peak is annoying. Otherwise, these cans are excellent sounding and very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back