Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Dec 31, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #706 of 970
Yeah you're right. I think I was being a bit dramatic earlier, but I still think it's a bad look from Mark Levinson regardless. With that being said, I'm going to keep these cans. I had the chance to test out the Bathys tonight and the ANC is such a disappointment. Basically, when you have the ANC on and walk around with the headphones, the volume will drop ever so slightly with each footstep. I guess this is more noticeable for some people more so than others (or maybe it's because I've used a ton of ANC cans in the past so this REALLY sticks out to me), but it makes it damn near unusuable.

On the top that, the 5909s are on a different level of sound compared to the Bathys IMO. The Bathys still sound great, but the 5909s are really in a class of their own when it comes to the bluetooth game. The only benefit I'd give to the Bathys (and really this is more a personal one tbf) as that the Bathys fit around the head much more firmly than the 5909s, so if you're moving around a lot (or in my case) wanting to use them in the gym, they will stay on the head very firmly.

Regardless, I'm going to be contacting Crutchfield tomorrow to start a return of the Bathys.
I returned the Bathys for exactly the same reason as mentioned in the first paragraph above. On a bumpy UK bus ride the warbling ANC is even more obvious.

I swapped for the PX8, which I’ve yet to listen to. I suspect they will be underwhelming, so now considering the 5909.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #707 of 970
I returned the Bathys for exactly the same reason as mentioned in the first paragraph above. On a bumpy UK bus ride the warbling ANC is even more obvious.

I swapped for the PX8, which I’ve yet to listen to. I suspect they will be underwhelming, so now considering the 5909.
Honestly the 5909s are th. Best Bluetooth headphones I've ever used. The only reason I decided to sell them is just because of my own personal use case. I use Bluetooth headphones in the gym (I can't use in ear buds unfortunately dud to discomfort), so even when I gas the 5909s, I had to bring a bother Bluetooth headphone with me in my bag (which kind of defeated the purpose of me having the 5909s in the first place).

I'd just recommend only buying the 5909 if you're using android to take advantage of the codex and ability to create a custom EQ.

Jan 4, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #708 of 970
As a result of auditioning the Sony's I've been craving more bass. The ML bass even boosted is very tame unless you turn on anc . The rest of the sound signature states pretty much the same to my ears. I've pretty much been using it as a bass boost feature lol

Jan 4, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #709 of 970
As a result of auditioning the Sony's I've been craving more bass. The ML bass even boosted is very tame unless you turn on anc . The rest of the sound signature states pretty much the same to my ears. I've pretty much been using it as a bass boost feature lol
I agree and I do the same. I need just a bit more bass but I can live without.

Jan 5, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #710 of 970
have interest in ML no. 5909 for a while and just found a good deal on local classified post. so this is the first headphones purchase in 2023 :relaxed:

looks way more premium than in photos. the leather aroma is stronger than my L5000 and looks and feels better than the genuine leather headband & earpad in bathys. the big box also looks way more luxurious than bathys/px8.

but i kept encounter connectivity issues with my samsung phones and tablet. even it connects, it kept dropping the connection after a short listening . . . it works fine with the iphone of the seller when i had difficulty to connect when trading.

i attempted the factory reset by putting it in pairing mode than pressing power & vol + buttons simultaneously. it connects again but the problem still keep recurring :cold_sweat: i can turn it off and back on to get connection yet it'll dropped the connection very shortly again . . .

when it connects, the sound is decent and the range is quite good. even better than bathys and xm5. i'll try charging it full and try a few more time resetting to see if the problem could cure itself. . . . finger crossed

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #711 of 970
have interest in ML no. 5909 for a while and just found a good deal on local classified post. so this is the first headphones purchase in 2023 :relaxed:

looks way more premium than in photos. the leather aroma is stronger than my L5000 and looks and feels better than the genuine leather headband & earpad in bathys. the big box also looks way more luxurious than bathys/px8.

but i kept encounter connectivity issues with my samsung phones and tablet. even it connects, it kept dropping the connection after a short listening . . . it works fine with the iphone of the seller when i had difficulty to connect when trading.

i attempted the factory reset by putting it in pairing mode than pressing power & vol + buttons simultaneously. it connects again but the problem still keep recurring :cold_sweat: i can turn it off and back on to get connection yet it'll dropped the connection very shortly again . . .

when it connects, the sound is decent and the range is quite good. even better than bathys and xm5. i'll try charging it full and try a few more time resetting to see if the problem could cure itself. . . . finger crossed
Ah weird. I sold mine off, but I never had issues with connectivity at all with my Galaxy Fold. It may be a defective unit (which absolutely sucks).

Jan 5, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #712 of 970
Ah weird. I sold mine off, but I never had issues with connectivity at all with my Galaxy Fold. It may be a defective unit (which absolutely sucks).
Yes, as there's no official dealer of ML headphone in my city . . . :sweat:

I find it seems kind of frozen and not responsive to commands when the connection is dropped - pressing play or and button has no response. But I can still turn it off and back on by the power button.

Tried resetting a few times but the problem seems persists. The longest session I can enjoyed is just like 10mins. I've tried both ldac and aptx but similar situations recur.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #713 of 970

I find it seems kind of frozen and not responsive to commands when the connection is dropped - pressing play or and button has no response. But I can still turn it off and back on by the power button.

Tried resetting a few times but the problem seems persists. The longest session I can enjoyed is just like 10mins. I've tried both ldac and aptx but similar situations recur.
Sorry to hear. That's a rough spot to be in.

Any chance you can try someone else's phone just to double-check it's the HPs?

Jan 5, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #714 of 970

i have heard of a few others having problems until they connected it to the app and updated the firmware. if you can do that you make fix the weirdness

Jan 5, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #715 of 970
i have heard of a few others having problems until they connected it to the app and updated the firmware. if you can do that you make fix the weirdness
Sorry to hear. That's a rough spot to be in.

Any chance you can try someone else's phone just to double-check it's the HPs?

thanks! i did connect to the app and checked the firmware is already up-to-date (1.50.5). i decided to leave it and went to bed last night after struggling for a hour without getting any clue. but miraculously, this morning when i woke up, it connected without a hitch and stably so far for over 30mins already! hope it continues this way . . . sound is really enjoyable and definitely much better than px8.

i originally looking to buy a px8 as the price has been dropped a bit and the brown/tan colorway looks very classy. but after demo, i found the sound is less resolving and i prefer bathys over it. build quality of PX8 is excellent though, seems quite a lot better than bathys but the aesthetic design of bathys seems better to me. however, when i got 5909 in my hand, the build quality is easily the best amongst the 3 (though I still prefer the look of bathys the most - just the materials used leave a bit to be desired).

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 7:29 PM Post #716 of 970
thanks! i did connect to the app and checked the firmware is already up-to-date (1.50.5). i decided to leave it and went to bed last night after struggling for a hour without getting any clue. but miraculously, this morning when i woke up, it connected without a hitch and stably so far for over 30mins already! hope it continues this way . . . sound is really enjoyable and definitely much better than px8.

i originally looking to buy a px8 as the price has been dropped a bit and the brown/tan colorway looks very classy. but after demo, i found the sound is less resolving and i prefer bathys over it. build quality of PX8 is excellent though, seems quite a lot better than bathys but the aesthetic design of bathys seems better to me. however, when i got 5909 in my hand, the build quality is easily the best amongst the 3 (though I still prefer the look of bathys the most - just the materials used leave a bit to be desired).
Well that's good news! Just like anything electronic there are ghosts in the machines!

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:44 AM Post #717 of 970
Well that's good news! Just like anything electronic there are ghosts in the machines!
not so good when i tried my new toys back home after work today :sweat:

it kept turning itself off shortly after a connection was made. I tried resetting for a few times again but no luck. i then tried to connect via the usb-c to c cable to my computer. still the same problem!

but than i tried to lay the headphone flat and just let it plays. i tried twice and both time it works faultlessly without any issue for over 1hr while i'm doing my own work. but once i tried pick up and put them on, it turned itself off again very quickly. if the position really matters, it seems to me the problem maybe due to bad contact somewhere?

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #718 of 970
not so good when i tried my new toys back home after work today :sweat:

it kept turning itself off shortly after a connection was made. I tried resetting for a few times again but no luck. i then tried to connect via the usb-c to c cable to my computer. still the same problem!

but than i tried to lay the headphone flat and just let it plays. i tried twice and both time it works faultlessly without any issue for over 1hr while i'm doing my own work. but once i tried pick up and put them on, it turned itself off again very quickly. if the position really matters, it seems to me the problem maybe due to bad contact somewhere?
Mine is at V.1.5.0.8, so you may not have the latest FW. Have you tried to turn the on-head detection off in the app?
83000206-326F-49B2-A491-99F4349027F3.jpeg

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #719 of 970
Turn off the head detection and update the fware

Jan 6, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #720 of 970
Turn off the head detection and update the fware
Mine is at V.1.5.0.8, so you may not have the latest FW. Have you tried to turn the on-head detection off in the app?
thanks for the tips! i already turned the on-head detection off but still didnt cure the problem. i tried wearing it up-side down (with the headband hanging at the bottom . . .) it works very well without any problem! i'm not sure i should be happy or sad for this :sweat: but once rotated it back to the normal wearing position, it turned itself off quickly again.

for firmware, sorry my memory is obviously bad and i stated the wrong version. mine is also v1.5.0.8 too. just the Mark Levinson is V0.1.0. not sure what's the difference. i tried even turning off the timer but it didn't make any difference again. . .

i'll give up and go to bed and hope for miracle again tomorrow

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230107_001826_Mark Levinson Headphones.jpg
    Screenshot_20230107_001826_Mark Levinson Headphones.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back