Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Nov 3, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #481 of 970
Just got them. Holy crap, what the heck was I listening to with my Sony xm4s. Sheesh..I just played some Daft Punk and the Sonys sounded like a muddy mess.

I think I'm done with my headphones search.

If anyone can suggest any nice songs to try on my 5909s please let me know.Got 3 months Qobuz too with the headphones

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #482 of 970
I got mine as well. Definitely different from the MW75s. Trying to figure out if I like it or not but agree definitely better than any of the XMs

Has anyone figured out how to lower the volume when you first turn on the headphone or you reconnect bluetooth? it is really loud and annoying (the booping sound)

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #483 of 970
Also - Just noticed something weird the past hour of listening to the 5909s... every so often music would just stop playing and I have to restart it from the app. I thought it was my Mac but it does it on my android phone as well. Quite strange... I thought it was confused if I had both my Mac and my phone connected at same time so I disconnected it from my Mac and it just did it on my phone while listening.

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #484 of 970
Also - Just noticed something weird the past hour of listening to the 5909s... every so often music would just stop playing and I have to restart it from the app. I thought it was my Mac but it does it on my android phone as well. Quite strange... I thought it was confused if I had both my Mac and my phone connected at same time so I disconnected it from my Mac and it just did it on my phone while listening.

Is it the on-ear detection? Have you ugraded the firmware?

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #485 of 970
Had that issue too before firmware update when on-ear detection was on.

Nov 4, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #487 of 970
I upgraded the firmware right off bat (took forever). I do have on-ear on -- does it not work properly?
I had this issue in the past before the firmware update though an earlier poster mentioned they told him the on ear detection was not the big fix with this upgrade. The only other thing I could think of is that it could be the inrush stiffness of the headbands and it's not rigid so registered movement more easily?

Nov 4, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #488 of 970
Eventually managed to pair headpones with both iPhone and iPad after sevral attempts. Also experiencing music itnermittently pausing though a double tap in my case resumes playback.

Sound quality is impressive. Previously owned XM4 and APM for comparison. Not sure yet if the treble spike is having any impact as I've been treating my ears lately. I had reservations about the size of the ear cuffs though all is good as they fit over the ears. Not experienced any clamping pressure but then I don't use them for long periods. Noise cancelling is not an issue personally as these cans will only be used at home.

Overall, very satisfied with ML 5909 apart from the playback issue described which could be a problem if not resolved. Keen to read what others have to say about the treble spike.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #489 of 970
Eventually managed to pair headpones with both iPhone and iPad after sevral attempts. Also experiencing music itnermittently pausing though a double tap in my case resumes playback.

Sound quality is impressive. Previously owned XM4 and APM for comparison. Not sure yet if the treble spike is having any impact as I've been treating my ears lately. I had reservations about the size of the ear cuffs though all is good as they fit over the ears. Not experienced any clamping pressure but then I don't use them for long periods. Noise cancelling is not an issue personally as these cans will only be used at home.

Overall, very satisfied with ML 5909 apart from the playback issue described which could be a problem if not resolved. Keen to read what others have to say about the treble spike.
Yeah, I had to reduce the treble quite a bit with EQ. It's definitely a problem for me (stock tuning that is).

Nov 4, 2022 at 12:05 PM Post #490 of 970
Also experiencing music itnermittently pausing though a double tap in my case resumes playback.
The on-ear detection is iffy, and when my headphones were new I had the same issue. Solutions that worked for me: powering on headphones when not wearing them. Also, the obvious other solution, turning off on-ear detection. On the positive side, after wearing these for a month, the pausing issue went away, no matter when or how I power them on.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #492 of 970
Kicking some Hermanos Gutierrez on the Bathys. Sounds pimp.

I’m so tempted to order the ML 5909 but I wonder if something else is being released soon (maybe the 5910 :) ) that I should wait for
Just get them. When they do release a new one, sell the older one. I'll definitely do that. But man, I'm kicking myself for not buying them and waiting for so long doing my 'research'

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:34 PM Post #493 of 970
Just get them. When they do release a new one, sell the older one. I'll definitely do that. But man, I'm kicking myself for not buying them and waiting for so long doing my 'research'

Perpetuum Upgradus Mobile:)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #494 of 970
Just got an open-box pair of 5909s today. They sound and look amazing - but has anyone had issues with pops and clicks while using USB DAC mode? I’ve tried factory resetting, updating the firmware, and switching devices but I’m consistently experiencing pops and clicks during playback. Wondering if this is why this pair got returned in the first place.

Nov 4, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #495 of 970
Just got an open-box pair of 5909s today. They sound and look amazing - but has anyone had issues with pops and clicks while using USB DAC mode? I’ve tried factory resetting, updating the firmware, and switching devices but I’m consistently experiencing pops and clicks during playback. Wondering if this is why this pair got returned in the first place.
Probably .. No clicks or pops here ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back