Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #421 of 970
Since the latest firmware update, has on ear detection been perfect for everyone here? In my case, to make it work I must have the headphones on when powering them. Then I must remove the headphones and put them back on (otherwise I get a pause every few seconds). After that on ear detection works perfectly until next power down.

Rarely they act like it's not on but I haven't had an issue with unexpected pauses. I'd less the CS people know?

Oct 30, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #422 of 970
Since the latest firmware update, has on ear detection been perfect for everyone here? In my case, to make it work I must have the headphones on when powering them. Then I must remove the headphones and put them back on (otherwise I get a pause every few seconds). After that on ear detection works perfectly until next power down.
1.5.0.8 was not targeted towards on-head detection issue. Engineering team is still working on the fix, customer service said that they aim to include the fix in the next update. No-one knows when it comes though...

Oct 30, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #423 of 970
1.5.0.8 was not targeted towards on-head detection issue. Engineering team is still working on the fix, customer service said that they aim to include the fix in the next update. No-one knows when it comes though...

Huh interesting, i havent really had the same sort of issues I did pre update. I wonder why that is.

Oct 30, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #424 of 970
Interesting indeed, as the one difference I did notice was on-head detection change in behavior.

Oct 30, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #425 of 970
to mitigate the lag problem with Windows PC you will need an AptX Adaptive BT dongle - such device reduces the lag to a reasonable level (around 60ms) which is fine to watch videos and to play games. For reference the lag is +200ms when using SBC codec.
Two examples of these dongles are:
Sennheiser BTD 600
Creative BT-W4 (I cannot recommend this as there are reports of audible distortion with device)
I just got the Senn BTD 600 dongle and paired it up with my 5909s, all lag is gone and I can now use them on my Windows machine! Thanks so much for this recommendation, you are a life saver!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #427 of 970
@tdx Happy to hear you like the results!

BTW: If someone likes to try my EQ preset for 5909 here it is:

Preamp: -2.6db

PK 59Hz +1.8db Q 2.00
PK 109Hz -2.5db Q 1.50
PK 2489Hz +2.6db Q 2.50
PK 11000Hz -5.1db Q 2.64

Is this on your phone, what app?

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #429 of 970
Got my 5909 yesterday.
I was expecting a good listening experience but was blown away by how good they sounded.
Detailed, open , crisp sound experience over BT with LDAC and using USB-C.
source App - Tidal and Spotify.
I am very happy choosing them over the Bathys.
BTW, I'm using Equalizer app on S22.
What app? Are you referring to the default equalizer on Samsung devices that is system wide?

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #431 of 970
Curious to know which Android smartphones default to the highest LDAC setting other than LG V30.

I was looking to buy a Chord Mojo 2 for use with my iPhone 12 Pro but issue with white noise is a serious deal breaker. So instead, I'm looking at the ML #5909 but it seems as though an Android smartphone which defaults to 990kbps is the best option.

Thoughts anyone?

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #432 of 970
This thread having 29 pages now, and many of the posts in this thread aren't speaking about the 5909.

Is good that recently not only the people posting here are speaking many more about this headphone, but are new owners posting too that are discovering this excellent headphone. Is good seeing the 5909 is receiving more of the attention is deserving after almost 9 months after release.

(Maybe the new Bathys recent release is contributing for this situation because others 5909 owners (including me) speaking of 5909 in the 2 Bathys threads here in head-fi, comparing the 2 headphones and some people starting looking at this excellent headphone)

Oct 31, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #433 of 970
Curious to know which Android smartphones default to the highest LDAC setting other than LG V30.

I was looking to buy a Chord Mojo 2 for use with my iPhone 12 Pro but issue with white noise is a serious deal breaker. So instead, I'm looking at the ML #5909 but it seems as though an Android smartphone which defaults to 990kbps is the best option.

Thoughts anyone?

Samsung defaults to LDAC best effort, but that's an adaptive Bitrate. So like with AptX adaptive, it will try to use the best possible bandwidth ... I think most smartphones will manage keeping that at 990kbps. Unless you want to be 100% certain... Then you could enforce it in the developers settings....

Oct 31, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #435 of 970
This thread having 29 pages now, and many of the posts in this thread aren't speaking about the 5909.

Is good that recently not only the people posting here are speaking many more about this headphone, but are new owners posting too that are discovering this excellent headphone. Is good seeing the 5909 is receiving more of the attention is deserving after almost 9 months after release.

(Maybe the new Bathys recent release is contributing for this situation because others 5909 owners (including me) speaking of 5909 in the 2 Bathys threads here in head-fi, comparing the 2 headphones and some people starting looking at this excellent headphone)

Oh, I've been following this thread for months. I owned a Mojo 2 for a few days but multiple reports of white noise caused me considerable concern so I returned it and began focusing more on the ML #5909. However, due to sight loss I am locked into the Apple ecosystem and switching to Android will pose another chalenge with regards to accessibility as I would have to learn the gestures for TalkBack.

I could just buy the headphones and use them with my iPhone though I'll be constantly wondering how they sound with LDAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back