Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Oct 25, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #394 of 970
Just ordered them. Got a nice open box deal thanks to @polymathic
Honestly I love mine. My only criticism would be that the design could be cooler. And the auto resume function would stay in effect longer. Hopefully they do well enough that they make a second generation because all the essentials are fantastic

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #395 of 970
New ML update released today (v1.5.08). Seems to have fixed on ear detection issues. Most noticeable difference is how quickly they resume when put back on.

Add though that if there are off for a minute or more they they will not auto resume. This might be due to my power saver settings on my phone
how long does it take to update? does it seem like it stay frozen on the update page on your app? I'm coming from android...

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #396 of 970
how long does it take to update? does it seem like it stay frozen on the update page on your app? I'm coming from android...
Ya It took about 40 minutes to update. There's those series of red horizontal dots but they don't constantly move they'll update every about 10 or so minutes and slightly shift from left to right

I also initially thought that it had frozen during the update

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #397 of 970
Are there any objective reviews of the ANC strength on the 5909, where they're compared against some other headphones?

Edit: nevermind, I found this that compares ANC performance and a bunch of other measurements (scroll down for ANC): https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...909-bluetooth-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

That contradicts my subjective impression from when I first tested them, but I have an open box on the way, will test them again for ANC performance.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #398 of 970
Ya It took about 40 minutes to update. There's those series of red horizontal dots but they don't constantly move they'll update every about 10 or so minutes and slightly shift from left to right

I also initially thought that it had frozen during the update

yea I found that out lol...

anyone find that the listen via cable volume is significantly quiet? I know its not my chord hugo 2

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #399 of 970
Are there any objective reviews of the ANC strength on the 5909, where they're compared against some other headphones?

Edit: nevermind, I found this that compares ANC performance and a bunch of other measurements (scroll down for ANC): https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...909-bluetooth-headphones&catid=263&Itemid=203

That contradicts my subjective impression from when I first tested them, but I have an open box on the way, will test them again for ANC performance.
That is interesting. The Bose and Sony ANC are so quiet of a background as to be “too quiet” or unnaturally quiet for my taste. The APM are better, but the ear sweat is pretty bad. The 5909 has a high pitched hiss instead of the super black background. I would’ve never guessed them to objectively compete with Bose or APM.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #400 of 970
That is interesting. The Bose and Sony ANC are so quiet of a background as to be “too quiet” or unnaturally quiet for my taste. The APM are better, but the ear sweat is pretty bad. The 5909 has a high pitched hiss instead of the super black background. I would’ve never guessed them to objectively compete with Bose or APM.
I would not have expected that either. I did a test running some white noise, comparing the 5909 to the Sony XM4, Sennheiser Momentum 4, B&W PX7 S2 and Technics EAH-A800. And purely on ANC, subjectively this was my ranking:

1. XM4
2. Momentum 4
3. PX7 S2
4. EAH-A800
5. 5909

To me it barely seemed to make a difference. But maybe the white noise I was playing was right around 600-800hz, where it's not that effective. In the end all I really care about is how well it can suppress airplane cabin noise. Will test them again when I get them and play back some airplane cabin noise soundtrack on Youtube.

1666747595026.png

1666747606796.png

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #401 of 970
yea I found that out lol...

anyone find that the listen via cable volume is significantly quiet? I know its not my chord hugo 2
No, they are louder wired than wireless using the Moon Drop Dawn, Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle, or Violectric Chronos.

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #402 of 970
I would not have expected that either. I did a test running some white noise, comparing the 5909 to the Sony XM4, Sennheiser Momentum 4, B&W PX7 S2 and Technics EAH-A800. And purely on ANC, subjectively this was my ranking:

1. XM4
2. Momentum 4
3. PX7 S2
4. EAH-A800
5. 5909

To me it barely seemed to make a difference. But maybe the white noise I was playing was right around 600-800hz, where it's not that effective. In the end all I really care about is how well it can suppress airplane cabin noise. Will test them again when I get them and play back some airplane cabin noise soundtrack on Youtube.

1666747595026.png

1666747606796.png
I’ve flown with them several times. They are adequate. The loud, low rumble is more of a white noise hiss. APM and XM4 (own and flew with both) are significantly quieter. But they also are significantly more sweaty and don’t sound nearly as good. YMMV

Oct 25, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #403 of 970
I’ve flown with them several times. They are adequate. The loud, low rumble is more of a white noise hiss. APM and XM4 (own and flew with both) are significantly quieter. But they also are significantly more sweaty and don’t sound nearly as good. YMMV
I find the XM4 horribly uncomfortable on extended wear. There is almost no depth to the earcups, so they sit right on my ears - the cartilage starts to hurt after an hour or so.

If Sony decided to make a high-end wireless ANC headhone, something like their MDR-Z7M2 paired with their excellent ANC, they'd have a real winner.

I flew with the PX7 Carbons and found them more than adequate, and the 5909 should outperform those by a good margin according to the graphs I posted.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #404 of 970

1. XM4
2. Momentum 4
3. PX7 S2
4. EAH-A800
5. 5909

To me it barely seemed to make a difference. But maybe the white noise I was playing was right around 600-800hz, where it's not that effective. In the end all I really care about is how well it can suppress airplane cabin noise. Will test them again when I get them and play back some airplane cabin noise soundtrack on Youtub
I've also been puzzled by how mild the ANC seems to me, especially after reading reviews claiming it was excellent. I wonder if there are variations between units or something. The objective measurements seem different to my subjective experience, but from the chart some of its most effective ANC seems where I have some hearing loss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back