Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Oct 21, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #376 of 970
I don't see any changes, either. ANC is identical.

To the ML 5909 owners who are interested in the Bathys but can't easily get a set to compare, after a couple of extra days of obsessive listening, I've decided I prefer the ML for my use. I'll paste below what I posted in the Bathys thread:

I have been listening obsessively to Bathys and ML the last three days, and my views have changed a bit. While the Bathys sound great on electronic music and percussions and drums and some rock, when it comes to my preferred music, classical and acoustic jazz, the ML definitely sound better than the Bathys, at times by a surprisingly big margin. In particular, classical guitar on the ML is so real (the live instrument I know best as my father practiced 2 hours every day), but not on Bathys. For me, voices have greater clarity and realism on the ML, too. Ironically, French vocals sounds better on the ML than the Bathys.

Last night, I was listening to a new release of Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61 on the Bathys when a section in the first movement jarred me into stopping the track and checking with the ML to see if the recording itself was off. It was not the recording, it was the Bathys render. I was listening via BT on an iPhone 13 Pro. Check out this track: https://open.qobuz.com/track/175644216 and go to the 11 minute mark. On the Bathys, the bassoons (I think) are overemphasized and dominate the violin. The MLs keep a much better balance.

Finally, while the Bathys have better transparency, the ML have much better microphones for Zoom meetings and phone calls (and even Voice Notes on iPhone). This is extremely important to me, as I often teach and run workshops via Zoom. (This is on Apple computers and devices, so I don't want to generalize here.)

Ya some electronic tracks benefit from a more pronounced bass response and better clarity / subdued mids. Highs and mids can be a little cacophonous on ML on some electronic tracks like Meduzas remix if My Boy.

This actually made me pause and really give the Bathys a closer listening to. Made it a closer call.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #377 of 970
Need your help
Which one would you prefer out of the 5909, Bathys and PX8 if the only criteria were,
In order of priority ( I figured sound quality would be right at the top if I were to go for any of the 3)

1) comfort - I want to work in my office with these on for as long as possible, 4-5 hours minimum.
2) call quality - MS Teams and a bit of phone calls over Bluetooth multipoint (windows work laptop and android phone)

Thinking about buying them this weekend.

Only 'audiophile' equipment I've owned are the Westone 4Rs IEM. I loved them and their sound signature.

I got into ANC headphones xm3s and 4s but they never made me want to put them on and listen to good music, which the Westones did. They were decent for travel and call but that's about it. It's like owning them made me not appreciate good music. I used them just for their noise cancelling features.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #378 of 970
Need your help
Which one would you prefer out of the 5909, Bathys and PX8 if the only criteria were,
In order of priority ( I figured sound quality would be right at the top if I were to go for any of the 3)

1) comfort - I want to work in my office with these on for as long as possible, 4-5 hours minimum.
2) call quality - MS Teams and a bit of phone calls over Bluetooth multipoint (windows work laptop and android phone)

Only 'audiophile' equipment I've owned are the Westone 4Rs IEM. I loved them and their sound signature.

I got into ANC headphones xm3s and 4s but they never made me want to put them on and listen to good music, which the Westones did. They were decent for travel and call but that's about it. It's like owning them made me not appreciate good music. I used them just for their noise cancelling features.

If comfort AND call quality are priorities for you, the answer is easy: 5909 in both aspects.

But if you're coming from westone 4r (I owning long time ago!) the 5909 will be a revelation in sound quality or shock in not great way because isn't so warm in sound quality like 4r.

Oct 21, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #379 of 970
Need your help

The Px8 has far and away the best multi point of any of the ANC headphones on the market. That is something those of us who have used a multitude of headphones have found. In terms of comfort, it’s kind of a personal decision. I find both comfortable but I prefer the Px8. You’ll be told both though.

Oct 21, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #380 of 970
5909 especially if you have a big head. PX8 are solid too. Call quality I haven't actually tested because I never use headphones to take calls!

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #381 of 970
If comfort AND call quality are priorities for you, the answer is easy: 5909 in both aspects.

But if you're coming from westone 4r (I owning long time ago!) the 5909 will be a revelation in sound quality or shock in not great way because isn't so warm in sound quality like 4r.
Would you say sound wise, since I like the W4Rs , the PX8s would be closer to the Westones?

I'm pretty inexperienced and not picky when it comes to finding out the best sound signature.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #383 of 970
I have not tried the Px8, but to me the ML 5909 are definitely the better choice as comfort and microphone quality are supreme, and if you have a large head there is minimal clamping with the ML 5909. Zoom and call quality are extremely important to me, and the ML really deliver clear, full, natural voice even if you speak softly. The Bathys microphones were unacceptable to me, and that was really the final straw that made me return them without a second thought.

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #384 of 970
I have not tried the Px8, but to me the ML 5909 are definitely the better choice as comfort and microphone quality are supreme, and if you have a large head there is minimal clamping with the ML 5909. Zoom and call quality are extremely important to me, and the ML really deliver clear, full, natural voice even if you speak softly. The Bathys microphones were unacceptable to me, and that was really the final straw that made me return them without a second thought.
As I’ve said other places, the vibe I’m getting from the bathys is a focal headphone per usual that you happen to be able to use wirelessly in a pinch, but it’s better wired in almost every way.

Oct 21, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #385 of 970
Would you say sound wise, since I like the W4Rs , the PX8s would be closer to the Westones?

Yes.

I'm pretty inexperienced and not picky when it comes to finding out the best sound signature.

Sound preferences are very personal. I think maybe you liking the sound of Bathys the best (from 5909, px8 and Bathys), but maybe, like I saying before, you finding the 5909 sound a revelation and thinking "How can I liking the w4r sound so long time when now I know this (5909) existing?!"

I think I might have a big head with smaller ears. subconsciously I think I want everyone to suggest 5909s :)

In this case the Bathys is NOT for you and the 5909 the best, better even than px8. For comfort and/or someone with a more big head the 5909 is the best and is having less clamping force too than the other two (the px8 is more comfortable than Bathys, by the way). ML really designing this aspect of the 5909 very carefully so that more people can using this headphone for many hours.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #386 of 970
Yes.

Sound preferences are very personal. I think maybe you liking the sound of Bathys the best (from 5909, px8 and Bathys), but maybe, like I saying before, you finding the 5909 sound a revelation and thinking "How can I liking the w4r sound so long time when now I know this (5909) existing?!"

In this case the Bathys is NOT for you and the 5909 the best, better even than px8. For comfort and/or someone with a more big head the 5909 is the best and is having less clamping force too than the other two (the px8 is more comfortable than Bathys, by the way). ML really designing this aspect of the 5909 very carefully so that more people can using this headphone for many hours.
Thanks a lot. Alright I will be ordering the 5909s today. Just have to get approval from my wife. :)

Oct 23, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #387 of 970
Thanks a lot. Alright I will be ordering the 5909s today. Just have to get approval from my wife. :)
Curious to hear what you think!

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #388 of 970
The Px8 has far and away the best multi point of any of the ANC headphones on the market. That is something those of us who have used a multitude of headphones have found. In terms of comfort, it’s kind of a personal decision. I find both comfortable but I prefer the Px8. You’ll be told both though.

I never see the usefulness of Multipoint connection, this is gimmicky to me.

Oct 24, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #389 of 970

I had the W40, its not that warm...matter of fact I have W40 all the way to W80, W40 is the most neutral, W50 super bass, w60 is more like w40. W80 is warm but neutral ish and very wide soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back