Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:49 AM Post #332 of 970
For those of us who have this headphone and have been using it for a while I'm curious what changes would you want both in general and perhaps with respect to future firmware upgrades?

For me I would want a slightly more expanded EQ. Specifically something to give the sub bass a more potent boost. As I highlighted in my earlier post one of the things that I miss listening to these compared to my IEMs (Blessing2) is the relative lack of rumble.

Secondly I think that the on ear detection needs a lot of work. Both in terms of resuming play and stopping play. It is extremely buggy.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #333 of 970
Yes, ear detection isn't reliable, this is the reason for me is off all the time, and is unacceptable that for 1000 euros this isn't working well. And yes, a real EQ, with maybe 10 bands, is very desirable, again for a product that is supposing for audiophiles and so expensive.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #334 of 970
After listening to these everyday for the last two weeks, I agree that ear detection is a mess. It will work for a while perfectly, then act completely erratically. It's not merely that it is unreliable and poor, it is also annoyingly unpredictable. That needs to be fixed. A $1000 set of headphones needs to deliver what it promises, and right now ear detection is off for me as it just doesn't work consistently.

I also agree that a decent equalizer would be nice, though my listening being biased towards acoustic jazz and classical makes this less of an issue. Again, the sound of these is so much better to me than any wireless headphones I have ever listened to, including the H95.

I recently did some ANC comparisons, and noticed that the ANC is surprisingly similar to the XM3 (but not quite as good). Since they use a Sony ANC, I wouldn't be surprised if the ANC is the same as the XM3s. All this to say that I wish they would tune the ANC Strong to be stronger, even at the cost of music reproduction. As it is, on a flight I would rather wear APMs or even APP2. The APMs are in a completely different ANC league.

Finally, I did some wired listening on my iPhone using a Moondrop Daw DAC. Nothing fancy, but it did improve the sound, making for a bit wider and more transparent soundstage. It also delivers more power, which was particularly nice for modern quiet high dynamic classical music. That type of music could feel a bit thin and not engaging on wireless. Igor Levit's Tristan album on Qobuz definitely benefitted from wired listening. I'm wondering if anyone has a good portable/dongle DAC pairing to suggest.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #335 of 970
After listening to these everyday for the last two weeks, I agree that ear detection is a mess. It will work for a while perfectly, then act completely erratically. It's not merely that it is unreliable and poor, it is also annoyingly unpredictable. That needs to be fixed. A $1000 set of headphones needs to deliver what it promises, and right now ear detection is off for me as it just doesn't work consistently.

I also agree that a decent equalizer would be nice, though my listening being biased towards acoustic jazz and classical makes this less of an issue. Again, the sound of these is so much better to me than any wireless headphones I have ever listened to, including the H95.

I recently did some ANC comparisons, and noticed that the ANC is surprisingly similar to the XM3 (but not quite as good). Since they use a Sony ANC, I wouldn't be surprised if the ANC is the same as the XM3s. All this to say that I wish they would tune the ANC Strong to be stronger, even at the cost of music reproduction. As it is, on a flight I would rather wear APMs or even APP2. The APMs are in a completely different ANC league.

Finally, I did some wired listening on my iPhone using a Moondrop Daw DAC. Nothing fancy, but it did improve the sound, making for a bit wider and more transparent soundstage. It also delivers more power, which was particularly nice for modern quiet high dynamic classical music. That type of music could feel a bit thin and not engaging on wireless. Igor Levit's Tristan album on Qobuz definitely benefitted from wired listening. I'm wondering if anyone has a good portable/dongle DAC pairing to suggest.

Yes, ANC can be better. BUT, in difference with your opinion, I think the XM3 ANC is very clearly better. I remember doing comparison of ANC between 5909 and h95 in my home (before selling my h95) and thinking they're very similar. BUT when I trying h95 in a flight the h95 is very sufficiently good, but recently in a flight the 5909 isn't sufficiently good, BUT in honesty I must saying that I remember thinking that this last Ryanair flight is more loud than normal flight noise and this maybe the reason I'm thinking 5909 isn't as sufficiently good as h95. Basically, in my last Ryanair flight I needing turning music/podcast more loud in 5909 for the airplane noise not being bothering me.

And yes, the new APP 2 ANC is very, very excellent, competing with the best full size ANC headphones in this aspect (better than the excellent ANC feature of the XM3 headphone).

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #336 of 970
I agree that I do like the overall sound much better on the 5909s than anything else I've tried in that sphere. It's the reason I've kept them/haven't returned them to Crutchfield. I've listened to my colleagues AirPod Max and just did not find them satisfying. Not that they are a real option for me given that I use Android. Part of me wants to trial the BW S2s and see how they compare. Ditto the MDs.

I haven't used these for travel so I don't know about the ANC for flight rumble. I get a very good seal so I haven't needed to even turn the ANC on. I should test them formally using my speakers to simulate engine roar

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #337 of 970
I agree that I do like the overall sound much better on the 5909s than anything else I've tried in that sphere. It's the reason I've kept them/haven't returned them to Crutchfield. I've listened to my colleagues AirPod Max and just did not find them satisfying. Not that they are a real option for me given that I use Android. Part of me wants to trial the BW S2s and see how they compare. Ditto the MDs.

I haven't used these for travel so I don't know about the ANC for flight rumble. I get a very good seal so I haven't needed to even turn the ANC on. I should test them formally using my speakers to simulate engine roar
I absolutely agree with the APM vs 5909. I have both (just repurchased APM for movies on Apple TV). The APM is just lacking in detail and resolution. The mid bass boost is fun, but annoying on music that shouldn’t be bass heavy (classical). The clamping and ear sweat are at next level terrible with the APM as well. The APP 2 are better(ish) tonally. Resolution is a bit better. The mid bass emphasis is a bit better. The ANC is spectacular. I have some flights coming up in a couple weeks. I ordered the Airfly with the volume control for the in seat entertainment. I’m sure the APP 2 will be great.

I almost wonder if the ANC on the 5909 is purposefully weaker. I notice on my better ANC cans (XM4, APM, APP, APP 2) The background is overly silent (if that makes sense). It creates an unnatural feeling.

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #338 of 970
I just flew back and forth NYC-London with my 5909s. The active noise reduction is fine for low frequencies but is near zero for higher frequencies. The positives of the 5909 are the sound quality and comfort. My biggest issue was the enormous size of the case, so I just bought two little microfiber bags to put around the ear cups and stuffed the entire thing into my backpack.

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #339 of 970
Yes, ANC can be better. BUT, in difference with your opinion, I think the XM3 ANC is very clearly better.
I realize from NCUS's post that my assessment of ANC does not factor high frequencies because of hearing loss in that range. The ML are probably similar to the XM3s in the lows, but fall short in the highs.

On a side note, I called Mark Levinson CS and asked about the On Ear detection and sub-par ANC. Apparently, they are working on the On Ear Detection issue and plan to release more firmware updates with improvements, and he hinted at improvements to ANC too. In the end, he said that this is ML's first pair of headphones, and we're still learning, and we plan on working to continuously improve them with firmware updates...

Sep 28, 2022 at 6:47 PM Post #340 of 970
I realize from NCUS's post that my assessment of ANC does not factor high frequencies because of hearing loss in that range. The ML are probably similar to the XM3s in the lows, but fall short in the highs.

On a side note, I called Mark Levinson CS and asked about the On Ear detection and sub-par ANC. Apparently, they are working on the On Ear Detection issue and plan to release more firmware updates with improvements, and he hinted at improvements to ANC too. In the end, he said that this is ML's first pair of headphones, and we're still learning, and we plan on working to continuously improve them with firmware updates...

That's good to know! I ordered the PX8s to compare the two but I hope that I enjoy the Mark Levinson more. After having owned the PX7s for a while I found Bowers & Wilkins support for their headphones to be very lacking. I think they had maybe one or two firmware releases that's it

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #341 of 970
...this is ML's first pair of headphones, and we're still learning, and we plan on working to continuously improve them with firmware updates...

I'm sorry but this is typical empty words, from the customer service of many companies, that meaning nothing. The 5909 is in the market for 8 months and ML know about the on ear detection problem from the beginning (I writing them very long time ago), and they ONLY releasing one firmware update in all this time. This isn't acceptable for a product from a very top brand and costing 1000 euros.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 8:01 PM Post #342 of 970
Well…I had them overnighted, so as soon as I get them I’ll let y’all know. 699 is a lot

Attachments

• A24C7984-1039-4D04-B2FC-D12092030DD2.png
    A24C7984-1039-4D04-B2FC-D12092030DD2.png
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #343 of 970
I'm sorry but this is typical empty words, from the customer service of many companies, that meaning nothing. The 5909 is in the market for 8 months and ML know about the on ear detection problem from the beginning (I writing them very long time ago), and they ONLY releasing one firmware update in all this time. This isn't acceptable for a product from a very top brand and costing 1000 euros.

Bowers and Wilkins told me they didn't need to release anymore updates

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #344 of 970
Oh wow, i just discovered these today. I am super interested . My question is , how do these compare to Audeze Mobius ? I am going to copy my post almost 2 years ago to save myself some time (with the addition that ANC is not important to me as I would not listen to them outside or on a plane but just when I am away from home wired set up)

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:19 PMPost #5,298 of 5,689
[IMG alt="vidzegg"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/355/355895.jpg?1273101733[/IMG]

vidzegg

I have been looking for a wireless audiophile grade headphone for last 3 years because i travel frequently. My usual use is YouTube music and Netflix and HBO movies. My at home wired reference is HEX V2 which I settled on after extensive research and comparing with dozens of hi end headphone. My budget for wireless Bluetooth headphone was essentially limitless. I have been using Audeze Mobius for a couple of years now and decide to post this after the most recent disappointment , THX panda.

Simply put, Audeze mobius is the best wireless headphone for me. Every other headphone sounds anemic compared to mobius and that includes more expensive Anada BT, Amiron wireless and THX panda . I am not a gamer and i don't use microphone. I use 3d off flat preset for music but most recent firmware update has made 3d acceptable even for music. I never use it wired because to me, that defeats the purpose of wireless comfort and freedom. I also need some loudness (which is another problems with many BT headphone) so i am usually at 90% volume.

I wish Mobius had better built quality, longer battery life and little more detail but its unmatched otherwise so far in my search.

I have compared it with following headphones. They may have an advantage here and there over mobius but i had to return most of them.

Sony XM3
Bose QC3
THX drop panda
Anada BT
Amiron wireless
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT
B&O PLAY H9i
PSB M4U 8
V-Moda Crossfade
Bower Wilkin PX
Sony CH 700
Skull Candy crush
Master & Dynamic MW60S2
PXC550

I am still open to suggestions for perfect Bluetooth headphone at any price point but so far, i have to say mobius has been irreplaceable so far.

Oct 3, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #345 of 970
Oh wow, i just discovered these today. I am super interested . My question is , how do these compare to Audeze Mobius ? I am going to copy my post almost 2 years ago to save myself some time (with the addition that ANC is not important to me as I would not listen to them outside or on a plane but just when I am away from home wired set up)

Jan 26, 2021 at 6:19 PMPost #5,298 of 5,689
[IMG alt="vidzegg"]https://cdn.head-fi.org/avatars/m/355/355895.jpg?1273101733[/IMG]

vidzegg

I have been looking for a wireless audiophile grade headphone for last 3 years because i travel frequently. My usual use is YouTube music and Netflix and HBO movies. My at home wired reference is HEX V2 which I settled on after extensive research and comparing with dozens of hi end headphone. My budget for wireless Bluetooth headphone was essentially limitless. I have been using Audeze Mobius for a couple of years now and decide to post this after the most recent disappointment , THX panda.

Simply put, Audeze mobius is the best wireless headphone for me. Every other headphone sounds anemic compared to mobius and that includes more expensive Anada BT, Amiron wireless and THX panda . I am not a gamer and i don't use microphone. I use 3d off flat preset for music but most recent firmware update has made 3d acceptable even for music. I never use it wired because to me, that defeats the purpose of wireless comfort and freedom. I also need some loudness (which is another problems with many BT headphone) so i am usually at 90% volume.

I wish Mobius had better built quality, longer battery life and little more detail but its unmatched otherwise so far in my search.

I have compared it with following headphones. They may have an advantage here and there over mobius but i had to return most of them.

Sony XM3
Bose QC3
THX drop panda
Anada BT
Amiron wireless
Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT
B&O PLAY H9i
PSB M4U 8
V-Moda Crossfade
Bower Wilkin PX
Sony CH 700
Skull Candy crush
Master & Dynamic MW60S2
PXC550

I am still open to suggestions for perfect Bluetooth headphone at any price point but so far, i have to say mobius has been irreplaceable so far.

I've never even heard of the Mobius! Just order from a site with good returns and test for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back