Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Mar 27, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #46 of 970
Has anyone been able to compare this to the Shure AONIC 50?

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #47 of 970
Has anyone been able to compare this to the Shure AONIC 50?
Shure aonic 50 was my daily headphones for 2 days... It is not bad without ANC turn off. With ANC it is catastrophic. All is degraded. What I like in ML is you barley can't tell difference in term of SQ with and without ANC. Some time in very quiet place I have to verify if ANC is activated or not.

Mar 27, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #48 of 970
I defy you to name me a better wireless sound quality closed back headphone.

I can think of quite a few wireless closed backs that I prefer to the 5909. Some people have commented that they found the trebles response fatiguing for them, and unfortunately that is the case for me as well, to the point of being unbearable.

But for such headphones, in the absence of extensive data with on-head measurements across a large enough range of individuals, it's reasonable to presume that coupling with an individual's particular anatomy may introduce some degree of variation between people.

What I like in ML is you barley can't tell difference in term of SQ with and without ANC

Not the case for me, for two different samples, and measurably so (that post and the following) : https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...se-use-of-the-harman-curve.29633/post-1087051

See how not insignificant the question of coupling is in that case and how it might introduce variations between ear simulators and individuals, and perhaps between individuals as well.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #49 of 970
Strange, I mostly hear classical music with lot of treble and I use it at least 2-3 hours non stop. Maybe is it music style you don't like and not the rrable response. I can understand you have a physical issue with treble too

Mar 27, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #50 of 970

Becomes less so when you start digging into how headphones interact with an individual's (or an ear simulator) anatomy and variations in personal HRTFs :D.
I'm not the only one who commented negatively on the 5909's trebles, but it's entirely possible that some people's experience is unproblematic in that regard.

Mar 27, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #51 of 970
Or maybe they watch too much graphic and have false induced perception of the music. I never have a look at graphics. Music reproduction is not only a thing we analyse. It is a thing we feel at the deeper of sensibility. But I agree, bad format or bad headphone are rapidly problematic. I can hear hours of ML but I can't hear more than 30 min of Nuraphone or Bose 700 using MP3 files . It is physically and mentally Impossible for me. It is like swimming in muddy waters.

Apr 1, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #52 of 970
I copy here the post I write in the h95 thread.

I have the ml 5909 for 8 days. I don't have my h95 because I selling this already, but I comparing the 2 headphones for 2 days.

In my comparison of the 2 headphones I deciding keeping the 5909. The main reason is the better sound.

The h95 is still a very good headphone, but for the first time, with the 5909, I'm hearing a headphone that isn't only giving me better sound than the h95, but in wireless mode is good like a very good wired headphone.

The design, the size (more convenient for travelling), the construction quality and the features (specially the really excellent volume wheel and play/pause and skip back/forward touch controls) and battery life are better in the h95. But the sound, little better comfort, better more practical travel case and better accessories are better in 5909. The 5909 too is sounding excellent in passive (wired) mode (the h95 isn't possible using in real passive mode).

About the sound, the 5909 is more correct, is more balanced than the h95, with less deep bass but still excellent bass, better mids and treble performance, specially the treble. The soundstage of the 5909 is similar of a open back headphone, this is a big surprise. The extraction of details in the 5909 is in different level of all other wireless headphones I hearing before.

The transparency of the h95 is little better and I think the anc of both headphones is very similar.

Apr 15, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #53 of 970
New firmware update 1.5.0.5 is available.

I have fast internet connection and is taking 8 minutes for download and about one minute for installation.

5909 New firmware.jpg

Apr 15, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #56 of 970
is there any "patch notes" ?

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #58 of 970
Apr 17, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #60 of 970
New & very positive review: https://headfonics.com/mark-levinson-no-5909-headphones-review/

What's interesting is that his review of the treble range doesn't match the reports posted here by several users.

Is interesting for me that even when the final conclusion of the reviewer and my conclusion are the same (that the 5909 is a great headphone), his review, for me, isn't very good because for the people that really looking for good sound his comments aren't often useful.

The reviewer is using a lot of vague descriptions and not commenting other important aspects of sound, or giving more precise (useful) description of each frequency (his description of treble is very strange, for example: "It neither packs a punch nor slams harsh. The name of the game overall is ‘soft appeal’". For me this is nonsense. His comments on bass and mids aren't very correct always either). He is using, too, many typical phrases that aren't helpful for understanding really the sound of this excellent headphone. He is using too the typical comment of 'the sound is better in wired mode than in wireless mode'. I'm sure in blind testing he can't hearing difference or even say sometimes that is better in wireless mode. If is one headphone where wireless and wired mode are excellent, and not easy for hearing which is better or more correct, is the 5909.

The 5909 is a better headphone in sound quality that this person is describing and better that many people imagining.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back