Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Nov 9, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #541 of 970
How's everyone's battery life looking with these? I haven't used these yet from a full charge to 0, but it seems more like I'll be getting between 20-25 hours of battery life with the ANC on high vs the advertised 30 hours.
It's advertised at 30hrs Adaptive if I remember correctly. I had the same feeling as you--that it was less than 30 hours--and so I did some careful timing and powering off after use just last week. I got 32 hrs using mostly Adaptive. Roughly 28hrs on Adaptive, and 4hrs with no ANC. Sometimes I turn off ANC as I find it fatiguing.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:56 PM Post #543 of 970
you probably need to use the ANC On adaptive to get the 30Hrs. i used mine on a very long plane ride the entire time and still had 50% left so although i haven't timed it, i fee like its close to 30hrs

It's advertised at 30hrs Adaptive if I remember correctly. I had the same feeling as you--that it was less than 30 hours--and so I did some careful timing and powering off after use just last week. I got 32 hrs using mostly Adaptive. Roughly 28hrs on Adaptive, and 4hrs with no ANC. Sometimes I turn off ANC as I find it fatiguing.

Thanks guys. Yeah that is what I figured. I think Sony does the same thing with the xm5 too for that same reason, to make sure people get the advertised battery life.

That's probably why too I've been very pleased with the ANC on these cans. They're not on Sony, Bode, or apple's level, but it's very close, much closer than I would have initially imagined.

Nov 9, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #544 of 970
Great find.. I personally find the difference to be slightly smaller than 'in a different universe' 😉 but would nonetheless agree in terms of preferring the Levinsons to the Bathys... But to each his own right? For now I have no intention of parting with the Levs.. (But with the T&A Solitaire T just around the corner I definitely remain forever curious to what will be the next level in wireless audiophile land 😎🔥)
I agree, too. Not a universe of difference, but on some classical concertos the sound signature of the Bathys was unacceptable to me. Like the reviewer, I had a decisive moment from listening to one track on the Bathys that felt wrong, and switched to the ML 5909 and the Bathys went back the next morning. Also, during my trial, I kept on wanting the comfort of the ML 5909.

That's probably why too I've been very pleased with the ANC on these cans. They're not on Sony, Bode, or apple's level, but it's very close, much closer than I would have initially imagined.

The more I listened to the ANC, the better I have found it, but still a real step down from APM or APP2. The ML uses a Sony ANC chip.

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #546 of 970
Anyone use the 5909's connected to an amp? I mentioned this is an earlier post, but these sound absolutely fantastic in passive mode with some EQ applied. These could honestly be end game (closed back that is) for many people out there.
big agree here, passive mode with an amp is such a rich experience. highly recommend all owners to at least try it

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #547 of 970
big agree here, passive mode with an amp is such a rich experience. highly recommend all owners to at least try it

Absolutely. I'm considering selling my Stellia just given how nice these sound wired. Obviously, they aren't at the same level as closed backs $1,500+, but it's close enough to where you have to ask yourself how much you value having a better sound closed back can (if that makes sense), especially if you'll be traveling a lot.

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #548 of 970
Anyone use the 5909's connected to an amp? I mentioned this is an earlier post, but these sound absolutely fantastic in passive mode with some EQ applied. These could honestly be end game (closed back that is) for many people out there.
I thought I'd be done with my headphone journey by just buying a really good pair of wireless headphones like the 5909s. Suddenly I feel the need to buy an amp. Ugh

Nov 9, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #549 of 970
I thought I'd be done with my headphone journey by just buying a really good pair of wireless headphones like the 5909s. Suddenly I feel the need to buy an amp. Ugh
LOL. You can actually buy something nice and portable that will cost you under $800 (even less if you buy use). I'm currently using the ifi Signature Blue which is about the same size of a smart phone. Works very nicely with the 5909s.

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #550 of 970
Absolutely. I'm considering selling my Stellia just given how nice these sound wired. Obviously, they aren't at the same level as closed backs $1,500+, but it's close enough to where you have to ask yourself how much you value having a better sound closed back can (if that makes sense), especially if you'll be traveling a lot.
So you find them that good wired? I was thinking of getting a pair of Celestee for wired listening. You are giving me pause.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #552 of 970
Hi, been living with my 5909s over a week now. I moved up from Sony's XM4 (on the go and at work) and AKG K702 (for home) and I could not be happier with the sound... At work I am using them with Dragonfly RED, but I belive that Levinsons deserve something more. I think that the Dragonfly RED is bit too "sharp" and "bright" for them...
Any recommendations or experinece for/with DAC+AMP around 500€? Also, I have always wanted something with analog volume control but for exmaple MOJO2 looks very nice and I also like the ease of use and small form factor of the Dragonflys.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #553 of 970
I've been thinking along those lines as well. To get real use, a DAC+AMP for wired use would have to be a small form factor. I was thinking of trying a Lotoo PAW 2, which allows a little DSP/equalizing I believe (on iOS there is no option for any equalizing at the phone level), or a Cayin RU6, which has 100 volume increments. Anyone paired these with the 5909?

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #554 of 970
I've been thinking along those lines as well. To get real use, a DAC+AMP for wired use would have to be a small form factor. I was thinking of trying a Lotoo PAW 2, which allows a little DSP/equalizing I believe (on iOS there is no option for any equalizing at the phone level), or a Cayin RU6, which has 100 volume increments. Anyone paired these with the 5909?
I have the Cayin RU6. Paired to the 5909 in passive mode, it sounds good. The character of the RU6 is preserved. I don’t know if you absolutely need to EQ the 5909 in passive mode. They sound very good as is paired to something like the RU6. Its not at all like the Sony or Bose that are absolute crap in passive mode.

To be honest, a lower distortion source (like the Mojo 2) sounds great with the 5909. With the onboard DSP EQ, you can drop the 20kHz treble down a notch if you feel the 5909 a little hot.

Nov 10, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #555 of 970
I got 24/96 working by enabling LDAC on the phone, no luck on Windows yet.
Anyone knows if it's possible to turn down the notification and power on/off sounds when changing modes? They're super loud.

I updated the firmware recently and either I'm deaf or they seem to sound much smoother now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back