Mark Knopfler - kill to get crimson
Sep 23, 2007 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

derekbmn

Headphoneus Supremus
Just managed to find it !!! It was released on the 17th but seemed to be a bit hard to find. I have not even listened to it yet so I will update this post after doing so. Anyone else have it yet ??? Thoughts and impressions welcome.
knopflerkilltoget.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 31
I've listened to some samples from his website and think it's going to be great, but I'll buy anythig that MK records
tongue.gif

I'm going to get the cd+dvd bonus pack tho. ;p

Sep 23, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 31
Awesome! Can't wait to get this!

--Chris

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've listened to some samples from his website and think it's going to be great, but I'll buy anythig that MK records
tongue.gif

I'm going to get the cd+dvd bonus pack tho. ;p

I was hoping the CD + DVD was like Shangri La - cd + DVD Audio, but aparrently its just a DVD with a couple of videos and an Interview. Shame

Sep 24, 2007 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 31
He's getting older and it can be heard from this album. More ballads and waltzes. There's not that much guitar work in this one. I feel being middle aged while listening to this. Still it's not bad one from Mark. Just needs more time...

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trilogy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He's getting older and it can be heard from this album. More ballads and waltzes. There's not that much guitar work in this one. I feel being middle aged while listening to this. Still it's not bad one from Mark. Just needs more time...

this seems to be a natural progression, I notice this when I listen to the latest from Joni Mitchel, Paul Simon, Neil Young, etc, mentally they are just in a different place.

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 31
Robin Trower is currently 62 (born 1945) and it is amazing watching his performance at Rockpalast last year (2006) The man still has it
biggrin.gif

btw.... Mark is 58 (born 1949)

Sep 25, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #8 of 31
I ordered it with my latest batch of CD's. Hope to have it by the end of the week...I have been disappointed with some of his work in the past, but I really liked "Shangri-La." Hoping for the best. I have always loved his guitar-style. Age has little, if anything, to do with it... I saw both Robert Plant and Roger Waters in the recent past; they were both great!
cool.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #9 of 31
O.K. so at this point i'm listening to it for the second time. I'm really undecided about it. It's classic Knopfler sound all the way, but as Trilogy eluded to above it really is possibly missing (for a lack of better term) "Some Balls". Don't get me wrong, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Perhaps some more time to let it "sink in" is needed.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #12 of 31
Keep in mind that as many of these performers get older their life focus changes, as it does with all of us. Often this brings about a more reflective tone to their songwritting, more serious, and often a bit laid back. At a certain point in life we turn our focus to what we have done, what could have been different, where we are going from here, and all the lessons life has taught us along the way. So of course you'd expect that rather than full of energy about to take on the world as they were in their youth, their music would be of a different nature. This is a natural part of aging, maturing, and hopefully acquiring some wisdom. Life's journey revealed to us in music by those awakening to it's changes.

I could have stated this better the first time around.

Sep 26, 2007 at 4:17 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceCans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that as many of these performers get older their life focus changes, as it does with all of us. Often this brings about a more reflective tone to their songwritting, more serious, and often a bit laid back. At a certain point in life we turn our focus to what we have done, what could have been different, where we are going from here, and all the lessons life has taught us along the way. So of course you'd expect that rather than full of energy about to take on the world as they were in their youth, their music would be of a different nature. This is a natural part of aging, maturing, and hopefully acquiring some wisdom. Life's journey revealed to us in music by those awakening to it's changes.

Agreed..
biggrin.gif
It is also very evident on Neil Young's Prairie Wind DVD and on David Gilmour's On An Island
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back