Margot and the Nuclear So and So's will make your world a better place.
Nov 7, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #2 of 22
Pretty good stuff. I'm in central Indiana now, so I've been hearing the buzz about Margot et al for quite a while. I picked up the Artemis release of their album at the local Best Buy a while back. It's definitely a cohesive album, though it can be a little one-note at times. I've heard that the original independent release of The Dust of Retreat has better mastering on a few tracks (i.e. no clipping, which is a problem for the L.A.-remastered tracks like "Quiet as a Mouse"). Plus, more dynamic range is always nice.

Either way, it's a well-produced and well-executed album.

Nov 23, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #4 of 22
You will note that I had this in my top 5 on the 2006 albums thread.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quiet As A Mouse might be my track of the year.

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #6 of 22
I just picked up their cd, "The Dust of Retreat', it's amazing. Exactly what I was looking for in some new music. I probably love 'Skeleton Key' the best. Just thought I'd search on here to see if anyone else liked them.

Mar 7, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 22
I just went to the iTunes store and loved the samples, so I went to eBay and grabbed a BIN CD. Good stuff.

Also, I've been finding *great* recommendations here at Head-Fi. I've bought about six albums so far based on the threads and love all of them!

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll double your money back if you dont love the cd.

Ok Coltrane, you owe me $21.50...!

just messin' with ya. I went out and picked this up and once again this great site has added another great piece of music to my collection! Aint the internet da bomb!!!

Thanks again, these guys don't suck that's for dang sure!

party on.

May 13, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As with virtually all quality music, repeated listening is not only recommended, but occasionally required.

Glad to hear some of you took the plunge and enjoy them.

Point.
I will transfer to my Kenwood and give them a few more listens to see if my first impression changes.

May 13, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #14 of 22
Jen Is Bringing the Drugs is a nice song. Some of the tracks sound a little too similar to a bunch of other bands.

But thanks for the recommendation.. pretty good compared to the last head-fi recommendation I took up, TV on the Radio, which was HORRIBLE! They played live at Slope Day here up at Cornell and were EVEN WORSE LIVE!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #15 of 22
TV On The Radio requires many more listenings than normal, plus a completely different approach than most people have for music. I like them a bit, but Im still just getting used to them.

Margot on the other hand is on the complete other end of the spectrum, in that they can seem boring and nondescript at first listen. But once you live with them for awhile, you can see how much beauty is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back