March 1st. Don't turn on your "fat" PS3's!!!
Mar 1, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #19 of 56
PS3 Husky edition.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #21 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those who watch anime...

JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 56
1253745326332.jpg

Trollface_HD.jpg

But seriously, that sucks about the PS3s.

I've begun thinking about the direction things are headed, and I don't like it one bit. Everything is online-dependent nowadays. I'm certain that one day (not TOO far in the future actually), there won't be physical games anymore. You won't camp-out at GameStop waiting for the release of Halo 20... you'll download it at 12 A.M.

It seems like everyone is looking for ways to cut costs, and what better way than to stop manufacturing discs and booklets and cases? I mean, movies have started going that way, just look at that Netflix on-demand stuff. IMO, I would much rather drive to a store or order a game online and wait a few days, than have no physical copy of it.

I'm sure you've all heard about the new copy-protection by Ubisoft. Even if you want to play the single-player portion of the game, you still have to have an active internet connection. No connection = you don't play anything.

I wish we could go back to cartridges.
redface.gif
ESPECIALLY with how we seem so adept at SSD technology!

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:24 AM Post #23 of 56
^^LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by wap32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JUST_AS_PLANNED.jpg

LOL again.

cv0089.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #24 of 56
I'm hearing rumors that it's fixed for 40 GB PS3 owners.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #27 of 56
Whoops.... As I read this I looked at the one we have in the front, and it is on. The one in the back has not been turned on. Not a big deal if I lost any game data.

Just mentioned it to my wife. She is looking at a different angel. It was off. What I saw was a reflection of something else
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 56
Thank God.

/thread

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAudioDude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've begun thinking about the direction things are headed, and I don't like it one bit. Everything is online-dependent nowadays. I'm certain that one day (not TOO far in the future actually), there won't be physical games anymore. You won't camp-out at GameStop waiting for the release of Halo 20... you'll download it at 12 A.M.

Already true for a large percentage of PC gamers. Steam and GOG are the future of PC game distribution, especially for older games which have long been DC'ed in store. PC games have also been quickly losing shelf space in most major retailers which is only going to accelerate this trend.

Quote:

It seems like everyone is looking for ways to cut costs, and what better way than to stop manufacturing discs and booklets and cases? I mean, movies have started going that way, just look at that Netflix on-demand stuff. IMO, I would much rather drive to a store or order a game online and wait a few days, than have no physical copy of it.

Discs are shockingly cheap. eBooks are only a couple of dollars cheaper to produce than real books and printing presses cost a lot more than CD presses. More likely, the online distribution model has the potential to cut out the middle man and retain more value from each sale. Also, many online sellers do not allow the purchaser (or more accurately, licensee) to resell their purchase thus destroying the used game market. Win + Win for publishers.

Quote:

I'm sure you've all heard about the new copy-protection by Ubisoft. Even if you want to play the single-player portion of the game, you still have to have an active internet connection. No connection = you don't play anything.

A logical place to go really. The single player PC game market has been devastated by piracy. Multiplayer games with centralized online servers have fared much better due to the difficulty in establishing alternate pirate services and the ease of suing said services into oblivion. (See: bnetd) Ubisoft saw that, put 1 and 1 together and came up with 3. Oh well, can't always get it right the first time.

Quote:

I wish we could go back to cartridges.
redface.gif
ESPECIALLY with how we seem so adept at SSD technology!

An 8GB SD card, roughly the size of a DVD9, runs ~ $15 wholesale. That would significantly add to the cost of a game.

Mar 2, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #30 of 56
i love PS3 but how can u guys play first-person shooter games on it?....i find it really hard to aim without the mouse....mouse moves with the arm...like a real weapon.

but joystick needs very precise coordination of eye-to-thumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back