Marantz receiver...yeah baby!
Oct 23, 2009 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

punkaroo

500+ Head-Fier
I picked up a sweet Marantz 2225 receiver tonight. The seller had it totally cleaned out and replaced all the bulbs. It's so damn pretty, it puts my all black Rotel amp to shame in the looks department
biggrin.gif

Some questions:

1) The volume pot is a bit scratchy: am I able to simply remove the volume pot and clean it? Does it need lube? What do I clean it with?

2) The FM tuning meter doesn't wander when you search for a station; this isn't the biggest deal ever, but can that be fixed easily?

3) There are some slight scratches around two of the hex heads; can scratches be buffed out some way?

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 9
Try something like ProGold contact cleaner on the scratchy pot. That usually helps. There are several products like it on the market - you can find them at Radio Shack and other electronics stores.

I don't know about the FM needle. Maybe it needs lubrication and maybe it's dead. It's hard to say. I would pop the hood and see if it's sealed or if you can lube it.

What kind of surface and/or material are the scratches on? Plastic can be easily buffed. Metal and painted housings can be trickier, but can be done.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 9
How does the volume pot come off? Is it pulled off?

The scratches are on the front plate; I'm not sure if it's aluminum?

Oct 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 9
The volume pot is on the inside. It can be easily cleaned with good quality spray. You might try some aluminum polish on the face.

Oct 27, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 9
Be VERY Careful with what cleaning spray you use on the pot. These pots have damping grease in them to give them a nice smooth feel with resistance. Most cleaner/contact spray will dissolve this and it is impossible to fix as the grease cannot be put back in (I spend alot of time and money trying to do so -- it wont work). As a result of the damping grease being washed out, you will have a cheap feeling, too easily turned knob. I can't think of the exact spray to use right now as I'm at work and don't have time to look up the brand. Let me check later. In the meantime, don't spray that knob.

The FM needle works on a cat's cradle string arrangement which you could spend some time trying to work out on your own. You either need to pay someone who know how to fix it, or look for a graphic on the web (that's what I'd do ...maybe an owners manual?). My friend who had this problem spend a couple days trying to do it himself and gave up. If the string in still in there, I'd try looking or an answer on the web.

Scratches, sadly, Ive heard these cant be buffed out on the marantz. I think the finish is annodized and will goof up the coloring. At least thats what I've heard.

Oct 27, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #6 of 9
Oct 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 9
On the scratches, bit of a cheapo bodge-job work-around, but what about a bit of Sharpie/permanent pen? Makes it look a bit better, but may need touching up from time to time... by the time it need's touching up you'll probably be less fussed though, and stop bothering, but for now...
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the scratches, bit of a cheapo bodge-job work-around, but what about a bit of Sharpie/permanent pen? Makes it look a bit better, but may need touching up from time to time... by the time it need's touching up you'll probably be less fussed though, and stop bothering, but for now...
tongue.gif

Marantz receivers of that vintage are silver faced, so a black pen would look reeeeeally bad.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back