Marantz CD5400 as 'good' CDP
Aug 8, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #16 of 24
Went to a shop, did a comparison and got a great deal with the NAD C521BEE
smily_headphones1.gif

Thought about letting it burn in Saturdaynight when i was asleep, but luckily decided not to do(because i wanted to hear if i could notice the sound change while burning in): Lighting hit my house.

Aug 8, 2005 at 11:14 AM Post #17 of 24
hehe... congratulations on the NAD !

How much did you get it for?

I think you don't have to worry so much about burn in and stuff... They sound great already as it is.

Aug 8, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
I didn't know the faceplate is made from plastic. Doesn't feel like plastic at all though. Are you talking about the 521BEE or 542?

The remote, I must say, it's one of the easiest one to operate and very comfortable to use.

But the looks is different story. Probably the ugliest remote I've used so far. Looks like a $5 remote from reject shop.

521Bee. I was under the impression that all NAD gear has plastic faceplates, but this one has for sure...
smily_headphones1.gif

/JF

Aug 9, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #19 of 24
I don't think the 542 faceplate is made from plastic though, because it doesn't feel like one.

I haven't really checked, but I'm quite sure it's metal... Although I might be wrong... but who cares anyway, they sound great.

Aug 9, 2005 at 6:55 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

The remote, I must say, it's one of the easiest one to operate and very comfortable to use.

But the looks is different story. Probably the ugliest remote I've used so far. Looks like a $5 remote from reject shop.

Yeah, true, it's absolutely hideous but works like a charm. I'd take it any day over the Cambridge remotes...
frown.gif

/JF

Aug 10, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Regarding the CD6000OSE - well, I've got two of these and think they do pretty fine for the price (~ 300 Euro). You might find the CD6000 models to be a bit picky in terms of CD-R compatibility, though...

I have to agree with this. The 1st CD6000 OSE I bought didn't play some of my CDR's so I returned it. However I liked the sound so much that I decided to buy another one, luckily for me the 2nd unit plays everything (including CDR's) flawlessly. The OSE is an awesome CDP for the money, has a very vivid sound with a somewhat sharp treble. A great match for tube amps because they will "tame" the treble just enough, but the details will still be there. Have yet to hear the CD5400, but I would think the CD6000 would be a step up. Hope this helps.

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #22 of 24
I don't understand that at all, the manufacturers must be excluding certain types of disc (or have different tolerances for burnt discs).

I have an ancient Denon which I must have had since '94 or thereabouts, before many of the companies that make CDRs even existed and it plays anything I throw at it...

It seems that in one more case, older is better.

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

hehe... congratulations on the NAD !

How much did you get it for?

$330, with XLO ER-5 interconnects, it is the cheapest it gets in Holland i think.

Quote:

I think you don't have to worry so much about burn in and stuff... They sound great already as it is.

Yes, i really like it even with my bad receiver and speakers. I hope the MS-1's are arriving soon. And maybe i will find myself buying an amp and better 'phones somewhere in the future. (HD650/AT W1000 must be yummmie yummie)

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #24 of 24
I A/B'ed a Marantz 5400 and an NAD C542 at a local audio shop for about an hour last week. When listening to my Frank Sinatra CD, the 5400 had a slight edge, making the listening easy and fun, with a little less bass emphasis than the 542. However, when switching to my Dio CD, the 5400 was thin and compressed, soundstage disappeared, and most of the detail was lost. Others have said that the 542 is a great rock CD player, and I can't disagree, and it is good (but not perfect) for easier listening. The 5400 I would buy only if price was the most important issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back