Marantz CD5400 as 'good' CDP
Aug 3, 2005 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

mariadoc

Head-Fier
Have been using a laptop connected to my receiver for about a year now to play CD's, because my CD-player died. I cant afford to pay more than €200(about $250) for a CDP and about the only CDP i found from a respected manufacturer in this price range is the Marantz CD5400.

There isn't a lot to find about this CD-Player on the forum, but what i did read ppl were positive. (I don't know how many of them really own the player though)

I can get it for $220.Should i do this?

My receiver is a Marantz, is it better to buy a CDP also from Marantz for this reason?

Aug 4, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 24
Hmmm, I guess I'd rather try the Onkyo DX-7333 than the CD5400, but that's just a feeling...

Regarding the CD6000OSE - well, I've got two of these and think they do pretty fine for the price (~ 300 Euro). You might find the CD6000 models to be a bit picky in terms of CD-R compatibility, though...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 5, 2005 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 24
Thanks for your reply. Although it is $60 more expensive than the CD5400, and i don't know if the diffence between the two is worth me that, I shall also try the Onkyo.
The Onkyo also is a little older, so the DAC of the Marantz is better i think?

Aug 5, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #5 of 24
Just my opinion, I think 60 dollars is pretty much negligible considering a CDP is something you'll use for many years.

You might wanna have a look at some NAD players too. I own one (542), and although it's an entry level CDP, but they are very musical and punchy.
If you want cheaper one, the 521BEE is worth to look at too.

I haven't heard it by myself, but there is also that Toshiba DVD player (modded one, can't remember the model name), that got pretty good feedback around here.

PS: I also tried 5400 before, it's quite awhile ago. If I remember correctly, it sounded a bit sterile (aka slightly boring), but it might be the rest of the system though.

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:17 PM Post #6 of 24
Thanks for your opinion!

The NAD521BEE is $100 more expensive than the CD5400, and i can't afford to pay that much for a CDP
But about the NAD players: I found a C541 (the predecessor of the 542??) for €200 secondhands in a shop, where i get a 3 months warranty. Is this a competitor of the Marantz or is it an too old model?

what i liked about the Marantz and is lacking on the NAD is a headphone-out. Because my reciever is over 25 years old, i prosume it would be better to listen with my headphone right out of the CDP instead of the receiver.

I don't know how all this players handle CD-R's

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
Just my opinion, I think 60 dollars is pretty much negligible considering a CDP is something you'll use for many years.

You might wanna have a look at some NAD players too. I own one (542), and although it's an entry level CDP, but they are very musical and punchy.
If you want cheaper one, the 521BEE is worth to look at too.

I haven't heard it by myself, but there is also that Toshiba DVD player (modded one, can't remember the model name), that got pretty good feedback around here.

PS: I also tried 5400 before, it's quite awhile ago. If I remember correctly, it sounded a bit sterile (aka slightly boring), but it might be the rest of the system though.

Aug 5, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #7 of 24
Where do you live?

I tried the Marantz 5400 and the NAD 521 BEE a few months back and ditched the Marantz as it sounded a bit too 'meh' compared to the Denon.

I then bought one of these

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page...21&g=409&pa=sr

I'm pretty sure they ship to all of Europe.

as a DVD player and (for me!) I thought it was great. I still only use it for DVDs though as it doesn't look to good with the rest of my seperates and I already have the NAD. But if I didn't care about looks, I'd have gone for the Limit.

Apparently the Limit was tuned by Cyrus.

EDIT: Don't bother with headphone out of a CD-player - they are truly rubbish (generally). I have a PA2v2 for that purpose alone.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 24
Yeah, I was thinking that you might be interested with the 5400 partly due to the headphone out...

But the bad news is, the headphone out is not that great... but it will still sound nice with something easy to drive as MS1.

I'm not sure about 541. But if you ask me to pick between 5400 or 521BEE, I'd go for 521BEE. If the budget doesn't allow you, maybe you can save for a bit more while (for that 100 bucks difference) and settle with the NAD, providing you like the sound.

But it doesn't have headphone out.

Another option is to get that Toshiba DVD player, and then get a small amp to power it. Although I can't really tell you how good it will sound to you.

However, if my headphone was MS1, I wouldn't mind getting a good mini system (read: not boombox) to go with it. I already have a CDP, but for some reason, I am always still attracted to that Denon UD-M31 mini system. I really like that one.

I tried the M31's headphone last time with my A900, and it sounded good. Plus, it also has a good radio feature as well, so it's a bonus. You can just sit back on your couch and flip the remote to switch between radio and CD...

And considering the newer one (UD-M32 or something like that) is already released to replace the M31, I expect that the M31's price will be slashed. I wouldn't mind getting one of those if the price is right.

Anyway, there are a few options/combinations you can do,
I think the best way is to go to some hifi shops and try which one you like.

Aug 5, 2005 at 5:21 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

I'm not sure about 541. But if you ask me to pick between 5400 or 521BEE, I'd go for 521BEE. If the budget doesn't allow you, maybe you can save for a bit more while (for that 100 bucks difference) and settle with the NAD, providing you like the sound.

FWIW, when I picked my CDP, I had those two choices, and according to the dealer, the NAD is in a different class... He was initially selling me the Marantz, so I don't know if it's really better or just gets them a bigger cut. Still, usually good service at that place, but take it with a grain of salt.

/JF

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

[...]Anyway, there are a few options/combinations you can do,
I think the best way is to go to some hifi shops and try which one you like.

I found a shop which sells both Marantz CD5400 and NAD C521BEE for good prices, i will go to next week and do some listening and than decide if the price gap is worth to go NAD for me. Do like the 5 years warranty
smily_headphones1.gif
I hope my MS-1's have arrived by that time!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiiEf
FFIW, when I picked my CDP, I had those two choices, and according to the dealer, the NAD is in a different class... He was initially selling me the Marantz, so I don't know if it's really better or just gets them a bigger cut. Still, usually good service at that place, but take it with a grain of salt.
/JF

Don't really understand your post. You ended up with a NAD C521BEE?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kully
I tried the Marantz 5400 and the NAD 521 BEE a few months back and ditched the Marantz as it sounded a bit too 'meh' compared to the Denon.

confused.gif

Aug 7, 2005 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariadoc
Don't really understand your post. You ended up with a NAD C521BEE?!
confused.gif

Yes. Sorry, I ramble.

Apart from the way it looks, I love it.

/JF

Aug 7, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #13 of 24
I think the black version is a bit boring looking, but they also come in silver (platinum) colour, and I think it really matches well with the button/design layout, and it looks pretty good IMO.

Aug 7, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

I think the black version is a bit boring looking, but they also come in silver (platinum) colour, and I think it really matches well with the button/design layout, and it looks pretty good IMO.

I think the main problem is that the "black" is not BLACK, but gray, and also that the frontplate is plastic, which is kind of a letdown, but borderline acceptable at this price range.

I'm willing to suffer it for the sound/price relation and due to my intense dislike for silver gear - sorry
evil_smiley.gif

/JF

p.s. Also have to point out that both the remote AND the display are good, way better than in the similarly priced and much-lauded Cambridge Audio 340C...

Aug 8, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #15 of 24
I didn't know the faceplate is made from plastic. Doesn't feel like plastic at all though. Are you talking about the 521BEE or 542?

The remote, I must say, it's one of the easiest one to operate and very comfortable to use.

But the looks is different story. Probably the ugliest remote I've used so far. Looks like a $5 remote from reject shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back