Marantz CD5001 - questions
Aug 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Rhubarb

New Head-Fier
Would this cdp sound better than a zen micro/vision:m? (no external amps)

Is the headphone socket a 1/4"?

Is it the best for that sort of price in terms of listening with headphones? (HD595's)

Thank you very much, I'm still quite new so sorry if i've got the wrong end of any sticks.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhubarb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this cdp sound better than a zen micro/vision:m? (no external amps)

I have no idea.

Quote:

Is the headphone socket a 1/4"?

Yes.

Quote:

Is it the best for that sort of price in terms of listening with headphones? (HD595's)

Again, I'm not sure; but it's long been on my short list for a relatively inexpensive player to use with my HD 580's. I put off the purchase hoping that Marantz would release the CD6002 in the U.S. Now I'm waiting to take a look at the CD5003 that is rumored to be released here in a month or so.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 15
If the CD5001 sounds even close to the SA8001, which I have, then you are in for a treat.

Most comments I have read about the 5001 have been favorable.

I was going to buy a 5001, but read good stuff about the 8001, too, so I decided to just get that one, and avoid the "upgraditis" that was sure to come later...and I am glad I did.

I have other Marantz CD recorders and players, and they are all quality items.

Aug 21, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 15
The cd5001 is thought to be an entry level audiophile player. I own one but don't use the headphone out. However, head-Fiers who do claim it's very good. It can be purchased refurbed for abot $200.

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #5 of 15
Thank you all very much.

Does anyone know if it will it sound better than the portable players I mentioned though because, although i know its subjective and all that, i dont want to get it and find it's not as good. I'm sure it is but I'm not certain ( I havn't tried it out).

this may be a pointless question but I'd like to be sure, I don't think I will have an opportunity to try it out.

Aug 22, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 15
I got the CD6002 terrific player. I was going to get the CD5001, but since the deal couldn't get it home I was upgraded to a CD6002 without paying the price premium
smily_headphones1.gif

I auditioned the CD5001 it is really good for the price. The CD6002 has a bit more low level detail and a wee better imaging. That being said you really need to get a headphone amp as well to take advantage of such a good source. The headphone out on the CD6002 is cold and can't drive demanding cans well, I have not heard the HF out on the CD5001.

Aug 23, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #7 of 15
Has anyone done a cd playback quality comparison between the CD5001 to the SA8001? I've been told that the SA8001's cd playback is slightly compromised for its SACD capabilities and in some cases, other Marantz CD players were better. On a side note, is there an sq difference between the SA8260 and the SA8001? I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP and I'm definitely considering the CD5001, but I'd like to know other options available before I drop money on a player that I might upgrade a few months down the road because I hear about something else

Aug 23, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP and I'm definitely considering the CD5001, but I'd like to know other options available before I drop money on a player that I might upgrade a few months down the road because I hear about something else

If you're not in a real hurry, you might want to wait a couple of months and add the CD5003 and SA8003 to the mix.

The CD5003 has the same DACs (CS4392) as the CD5001, so it might be more of a cosmetic makeover. I'm not sure what, if anything, has been changed or upgraded internally. The CD5003 has a detachable cord and plays MP3s and WMA files, so I guess it's not totally cosmetic.

The SA8003 has Cirrus Logic CS4398 DACs (vs. CS4397 in the SA8001). It also has a front panel USB input which allows MP3 play from an external source, using the SA8003's DACs.

Aug 23, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Does the cd6002 have an internal headphone amp like the 5001?

Is it a better one?

Is it worth the extra cost?

o and I didn't know the 5001 was discontinued.

extreme noob question: when it says D/A converter is it talking about the headphone amp?

Aug 23, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Does the cd6002 have an internal headphone amp like the 5001?

Yes.

Quote:

Is it a better one?

I'm not sure. I assume it's the same or very similar. I could be wrong.

Quote:

Is it worth the extra cost?

Are you in the U.S.? If so, it's not really an issue, since the CD6002 is not available here. But maybe someone who has heard both can offer an opinion.

Quote:

I didn't know the 5001 was discontinued.

It is according to at least one on-line retailer. If it's not yet, I'd guess it will be very soon.

Quote:

extreme noob question: when it says D/A converter is it talking about the headphone amp?

That's referring to the Digital-to-Analog Converter. (I'm not sure how good that link is, but it's better than I could explain it.)

Aug 23, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tvrbob86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.

I'm not sure. I assume it's the same or very similar. I could be wrong.

Are you in the U.S.? If so, it's not really an issue, since the CD6002 is not available here. But maybe someone who has heard both can offer an opinion.

It is according to at least one on-line retailer. If it's not yet, I'd guess it will be very soon.

That's referring to the Digital-to-Analog Converter. (I'm not sure how good that link is, but it's better than I could explain it.)

Thank you very much.

Aug 24, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 15
According to Wild West Electronics,
the upcoming Marantz CD5003 cd player will have a redesigned chassis, detachable power cord, and the HDAM S2 modules.
The SA8003 will also have a redesigned chassis, the newer Cirrus Logic CS 4398 DAC, and the HDAM S2 modules as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back