Marantz CD110 Duetto Microsystem OPINIONS?
Feb 27, 2003 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
Hey all

i was contemplating upgrating my work source, and would prefer something with a small footprint. I have read the other thread which mentions the Onkyo CD/SACD player and saw the TEAC micro player.

today i spotted the Marantz Duetto Microsystem, which has a receiver as well as a cd player.

The CDP alone:
img_med0.jpg

In regards to the CD player alone, here are some stats:
1 bit DAC
8 X oversampling
plays CDRs, CDRWS, Mp3s...
Frequency Response : 20Hz - 20kHz (+/-1dB)

Press Release from Marantz:
The Marantz Duetto components measure just 3" high by 8-1/4" wide by 12-3/8" deep, and are finished in rich metallic silver with handsome brushed-aluminum faceplates. Both components are styled with a minimalist, functional design. The CD110 features a drop-down front panel cover that conceals all controls, even when the component is in use.

In addition to CD, CD-R and CD-RW playback, the CD110 also plays back MP3-encoded CDs. It utilizes a premium CD mechanism and D/A converters for smooth, refined, musically involving sound quality, and offers a variety of program and play modes. The CD110 includes a number of additional convenience features, such as two coaxial and two optical digital outputs, dual-speed synchronized CD recording when used in conjunction with a CD recorder, and a remote control."

anyway, I was wondering if any one here had any experience with the system. I may buy/use only the CDP, which has both analogue line out, as well as RCA and TOSLINK digital outs.

I will be buying this used, and hope to find info on it before its gone...

please let me know what your thoughts are.
thanks so much

**I'm currently using a sony D303 PCDP out to my META**

Mar 2, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 11
BUMP

I really am in need of some info on this sucker....

any idea how it compares to this:
Denon DCD-F101 CD Deck
f_denon_dcdf101.jpg

96kHz/24bit DA converter adoption
8X over sampling digital filter
CD-R/CD-RW playback correspondence
Optical digital output terminal

the Marantz would be about $200 used
the Denon is just over $200 new, plus shipping

im trying to keep this as low budget as possible..

Mar 4, 2003 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 11
bump

no thoughts on the marantz or denon?

Mar 4, 2003 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 11
Hi nanahachi,

I have been keeping an eye on your thread hoping to get some information about these players as well. I think they may be more popular in Europe (?). Unfortunately no head-fier seems to have experience with them...
frown.gif

Mar 5, 2003 at 5:51 AM Post #8 of 11
Mar 6, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 11
Joey,

I've heard the Marantz Duetto, and while it's a nice looking system, the sound is not much better than you would get from a minisystem or even a portable. This definitely does not sound like the full sized Marantz players like the 6000OSE or the CD17. From your inventory of headphones, you'd most likely be disappointed by this.

I can't think of any really good cd players with a small footprint in that price range that I would call audiophile quality. The Linn Genki has a smaller footprint, but you're looking at $900 on the used market.

Sorry! Wish I could be more positive about this one. I know SF stereo is a Marantz dealer, so you may want to call them to see if they stock this so you can demo.

Andrew

Mar 6, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 11
hey andrew

thanks for the firsthand account.

im actually glad you arent bragging about its stellar quality, since i cannot afford to buy anything right now anyway.

i still want to gather info on small footprint players though, especially that denon, so if anyone has thoughts, please post them!!!

Mar 7, 2003 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 11
If it's for listening at work make sure it sounds good at low volumes. It's always tempting to crank them up in the stores, but some lose all the detail and dynamics when they're playing quietly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back