Marantz CD-5001 vs SONY SCD-CE595
Oct 22, 2007 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

cheezies

Head-Fier
Has anyone compared these players? From what I have read, CD's on the CD-5001 will sound as good as or better than SACD's on the CD595. Likewise, the CD-5001 also costs 3 times as much as the CE595. I'm using a pair of HD595 headphones, but plan on upgrading to HD650 later on.

In terms of playing CD's and not SACD's, how do they compare?

May 8, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 10
the CD5001 is hands down much better than the ce595. there really isn't any comparison. I found the Oppo players to be better than the sony, and the cd5001 is better than the oppo players via analog out.

May 9, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #5 of 10
I don't know if this will help, but I own the SA8001 and used to have the CE595. The Sony is a good unit, but I always preferred Scarlet Book on it. I think Sony bumped SACD output up 3dB over Red Book (or something like that) so a comparison between the layers is tough.

For Red Book, I find that the Marantz is smoother, more refined and more detailed than the Sony.

Another benefit of the Marantz is the built-in dedicated headphone amp. Marantz actually put one in for us and it's not bad. If I were on a budget, I'd probably just get a SA5001 and a pair of headphones.

May 9, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 10
I don't know if it helps, either, but marantz SA7001 compared to AudioNemesis DC-1 up-grade DAC or my modded Technics SL-PS840 sounds like crap. I'd recommend buying a decent cheap DVD player as the transport + an external DAC like Zero, Zhaolu or Beresford. The results will be much better (if I aim at the correct price range).

May 17, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know if it helps, either, but marantz SA7001 compared to AudioNemesis DC-1 up-grade DAC or my modded Technics SL-PS840 sounds like crap. I'd recommend buying a decent cheap DVD player as the transport + an external DAC like Zero, Zhaolu or Beresford. The results will be much better (if I aim at the correct price range).

Strange that the SA7001 should sound poopy, because my lesser CD5001 analog out sounds quite good when compared to the Coax out to Apogee mini-DAC - it sounds closer than it has a right to be for the price. The CD5001 is a good place to start, and then adding a good DAC and amp will just make it better.

May 17, 2008 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheezies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of playing CD's and not SACD's, how do they compare?

Most Hybrid SACDs have different mastering for the SACD & Redbook layers, so any comparisons you read between these should be taken with a grain of salt, particularly if the specific recording isn't mentioned.

One recording I know does work for this Terence Blanchard's Let's Get Lost. The recording engineer on the session (the very talented Jim Anderson) has said that the only difference between the redbook & SACD releases is the resolution: the session was recorded & mixed analog, mastered in DSD, and the redbook release a downsample of the DSD master.

Anyway, when I ran these two against each other I thought the SACD on the Sony sounded slightly (and I mean slightly) more lifelike, and the singers were a bit more integrated with the band. Redbook on the Marantz, the singers sounded slightly forward.

Redbook Sony vs. redbook Marantz, I thought the Marantz was a bit smoother and the Sony had better HF extension, but the difference was so minimal it's almost not even worth mentioning. You'd probably be better off picking the playing that has the features you need, or that you like the price/ergonomics/looks of better.

The Marantz has a much better remote, and the headphone amp is very good with Sennheisers.

May 17, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 10
are you using a DAC? If so, then save the money and get the Sony since you only using it as a transport.

If you not planning on a DAC, then get the Marantz. Im not sure what DAC it uses, however im pretty confident that its better then the CE595.

I own a CE595 and its a great player...its DAC is alittle tizz sounding, however im just using it as a transport and its great in that area.

May 22, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #10 of 10
I have an older Sony CE375 and it outperforms my CD5001 with the optical output especially in soundstage, highs and detail. However with analog output the marantz is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back