Marantz 5001 improvement over old CDP's like the Magavox CDB650?
Jul 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tiemen

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm enjoying myself with an old Magnavox CDB650, aka Philips CD650.
Just wondering, would a new, cheap CD player as the Marantz 5001, be an improvement.
Or would that oldie still beats nowadays CDplayers?

Jul 12, 2008 at 2:48 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm enjoying myself with an old Magnavox CDB650, aka Philips CD650.
Just wandering, would a new, cheap CD player as the Marantz 5001, be an improvement.
Or would that oldie still beats nowadays CDplayers?

I picked up an old Philips CD582 aka Magnavox CDB582 for fifteen quid last week. I am listening to it right now and I am highly impressed with it. It is certainly as good as my Marantz CC4300. Some of these old machines really are still very good value as long as you do not expect them to last another 20 years...

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Surprise that no one replied with:
"buy yourself a new Maranz,and compare them".
But still would like to know any thoughts about this.
New, relative cheap players vs. old players who were once top of the bill.

Jul 21, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 6
I love my old Rotel RCD975. It has a sorta warmish laid back presentation, but its highs and lows seem to be far reaching.
My brothers Marantz 67se seems more focused in a way, but the highs and lows seem to be rolled off.

Im also wondering how CD players in the same price range have changed.

Jul 22, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 6
Is the Marantz CD 5001 warm sounding?
What about sibilance?

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Im also interested in the marantz 5001, wonder if it is a good reader of cds. Will it read basically all brands of blank cds as well as store bought originals?

As for sound, will it beat the competition in the same price range? It looks very versatile because of the headphone jack. some people may even hold off on buying an amp for a long time because of this which makes it a great value based on that feature alone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back