Marantz 2230 Phono Preamp issue
Jul 13, 2008 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

JoeWP

New Head-Fier
Hello,
So I thought I was having an issue with my needle, but it seems that is more an issue with my phono preamp. There is a distortion / breaking up sound coming out of the left channel. Does anyone know exactly what this could be, or if I would be able to fix it? could the connector just be dirty? It did start happening when I dropped the needle onto the plinth.

Thanks,
Joe

Jul 13, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 3
It could be lots of things. Maybe a resistor or two in the phono section is drifting with the heat.

But if it started when you dropped the needle, you might have a warped cantilever in the cartridge or other damage that lets it play imperfectly.

Why don't you try swapping the RCA cables on your phono pre? Put left into right and right into left. If there's a problem with the left channel on the preamp, the left channel will sound bad. If there's a problem with your cartridge, then the right channel will sound bad.

Jul 13, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey,
Yep I've done that, switched them around, and also switched out turntables. Sometimes it works okay, but not for long, then there is the distortion. Which makes me think somethings loose?

thanks,
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back