Mapletree, Woo or Antique Sound Labs
Oct 12, 2007 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

SmoothSound

New Head-Fier
Reading all the threads here only makes me more confused about my decisions sometimes. I am looking for a tube amp that soundstages well with a lot of air. Looking to pair amp with Senn 650's and concidering Grado RS2's.
I am looking at the Mapletree Amps HD / HD2, the Woo Audio 6 and the Antique Sound - MG Head DT/OTL MK III.

I have a Rega Planet 2000 CDP and Cardas Golden Cross interconnects. I listen to mostley classical, jazz, instumental and lite rock. I know I will receive mixed views from this thread however, I am confident I really will not loose either way I go so majority rules to help sway my vote.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Oct 12, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #2 of 16
I will comment on the first two amps, both of which I have had an extensive listening experience with. The last two I have heard at meets and not for long so I can not really comment on.

The Mapletree Ear + Purits HD is IMO the better of the two Mapletree amps. Its bass has more impact, detail, punch, while retaining its clarity and never becoming muddy. I also prefer its midrange which I find very mellow, warm, and with a great sense of detail. My favorite music genre is jazz.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 16
I'm in the same boat as the OP, looking for a tube amp for my current cans (HD650, DT990)... I don't have the same tastes in music though, I lean towards more aggressive styles (rock, electronic)

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no one buys ASL amps anymore. not sure why. maybe too mainstream or just not as good as other stuff out there. not sure.

ASL have a dealer network, a lot of smaller companies rely primarily on direct sales/web/ebay. So maybe they're not as visible to you.

Oct 13, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 16
I bought an ASL amp... and I'm happy with my purchase.

They're just rarer on the FS forums. You don't see one pop up very often.

Oct 13, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 16
Posts above made me think about exactly how many ASL.....MkIII have been on the F.S. pages here. Search revealed one was listed (and sold within 1 day) during 2005......and 2 were listed in 2006. None have been for sale here this year. I ordered one NEW (boo hoo) this past week. I will, of course be re-fitting it with either a Telefunken or Mullard 12AX7. Probably start with RCA for 6BQ5.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 16
Why not consider an amp from Singlepower? I think that the Extreme I have is a very versatile amp, playing my HD650's surpebly and my MS-2i's very well. It even makes my roommate's A900's sound awesome. Granted the Extreme might be a little out of your price range, the PPX3 I think is in the same ballpark.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 16
One never knows what the price of a Singlepower amp is since he does not show their prices only modification. Each one is essentially a one-off after considering different variants. Therefore, it is very difficult to actually consider a Singlepower amp if you have a budget that you are working toward.

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One never knows what the price of a Singlepower amp is since he does not show their prices only modification. Each one is essentially a one-off after considering different variants. Therefore, it is very difficult to actually consider a Singlepower amp if you have a budget that you are working toward.

The stock Extreme is $999 .... IMO, the best amp you can buy for that price.
smily_headphones1.gif

There have been several SP MPX3's in the for sale forum. Buying used is a good deal; no wait and excellent prices. I have purchased almost all my amps from the used market.
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 16
If you have the budget, I don't think you could do much better than the Ray Samuels B-52. It's a dream amp, highly recommended! It makes almost any music sound great.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The stock Extreme is $999 .... IMO, the best amp you can buy for that price.
smily_headphones1.gif

There have been several SP MPX3's in the for sale forum. Buying used is a good deal; no wait and excellent prices. I have purchased almost all my amps from the used market.
wink.gif

Again where did you find the price of the Extreme and what is stock? I found the link to the standard specifications for five stock variants OK...but did not find the Extreme on the web site.

Oct 13, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again where did you find the price of the Extreme and what is stock? I found the link to the standard specifications for five stock variants OK...but did not find the Extreme on the web site.

Moon Audio has pricing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back