Mapletree Ear+ vs. Gilmore Lite for RS-1
Oct 29, 2011 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

El Bishop

New Head-Fier
Two different beasts but trying to decide between a used GL for a lot less money than a Mapletree for my RS-1s.  Been enjoying the RS1s right out of my iPhone/Mac Mini for a while but want to step it up.  Leaning towards the Mapletree/tubes for the musicality rather than take away from the Grado sound with the GL.  Am I right on this?  From what I've read, the GL is great but detailed and bright -- I love the Grados and don't want to change it.  I guess, I should also consider an RA-1 for half the price of the Mapletree as well.  So:

1. GL ($)
2. RA-1 ($$)
3. Mapletree ($$$$)

Which?

Oct 29, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 14
I have had MAD EAR HD and RA-1.  The MAD EAR HD is smooth, warm and very musical amp.  The RA-1 for solid state is also smooth and warm but less so than the MAD EAR HD but I would say in musicality, it's is on par with MAD EAR HD, some would so more musical. My only experience with Headamps is the Pico amp and I had to use Flats with them.  Bowls were too bright.  If I can suggest another amp that is known to be warm and smooth and really pairs well with the RS1 is the Schiit Audio Asgard.  It's only $249 and many attests to it's great synergy. 

Quote:
Two different beasts but trying to decide between a used GL for a lot less money than a Mapletree for my RS-1s.  Been enjoying the RS1s right out of my iPhone/Mac Mini for a while but want to step it up.  Leaning towards the Mapletree/tubes for the musicality rather than take away from the Grado sound with the GL.  Am I right on this?  From what I've read, the GL is great but detailed and bright -- I love the Grados and don't want to change it.  I guess, I should also consider an RA-1 for half the price of the Mapletree as well.  So:

1. GL ($)
2. RA-1 ($$)
3. Mapletree ($$$$)

Which?

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:

1. GL ($)
2. RA-1 ($$)
3. Mapletree ($$$$)

Which?

The MAD Ear+HD is the best amp I've heard with my RS1s and RS1is (both sold). I did try them with my friend's GLite and a bright amp + bright Grados = way too bright for my liking. YMMV.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #4 of 14
I've never heard the Mapletree, but the GL makes my RS2i's sound friggin' amazing! 

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I've never heard the Mapletree, but the GL makes my RS2i's sound friggin' amazing! 

I found the Mapletree kicked my RS1s up a notch over the GL.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 14
I cannot even begin to tell you how much I love my Mapletree. It is absolutely dead silent with no hum whatsoever, the sound is stunning and only improves when rolling tubes. I also have an RA-1 and it works but there is noticeable hum and based on it's construction I do not feel it is worth the money. The Mapletree is excellent value for money, it is hand built (you can save a bit if you are handy and can order a kit to assemble yourself) and you cannot go wrong when dealing with Dr. Peppard. 

If budget is a major concern take a look at the Little Dot 1+, for almost no money you get to try the tube sound, roll the opamps, and get a well built product and David at little dot is also really easy to work with. I was going to sell my LD 1+ when my beloved mapletree arrived but I enjoy it so much it is now on my bedside table powering my HD 25-1 II 

Nov 4, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 14
The MAD is a superb amp for Grados. The majority of people who have heard the combo will agree. If you're buying new, the Asgard, as previously mentioned, is a good choice too. But if you can find a used deal on a MAD (especially for just above $300 like I did), jump on it immediately -- it's worth it.

Nov 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #9 of 14

[size=medium]
I didn't think anything could make my Grado RS1i sound better than the MAD EAR HD but the Asgard to my ears sounds better for third of the price.  The Asgard is warm and smooth but it's more open, more airy, more dynamic and more wider in it's soundstage.  The Asgard with Bifrost driving my RS1i is just magic.  
[/size]

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Has anyone compared the Asgard and the Valhalla for the RS1s?  I've heard that the asgard likes low impedance and valhalla likes high so perhaps the asgard is the better choice.  Would to do an entry-level tube amp but want to get the one wiht best synergies for the grado cans, which I love.

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #11 of 14
It's odd buy also mentioned by headphonia, that the Asgard (while SS) is warmer than the Valhalla (Tube).  So the Asgard pairs better not only because it works better with low impedance but also because it's a warmer amp than the Valhalla.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Hi guys,
           I have a pair of Grado RS-1's myself.  I have yet to pair them up with a decent amp.  I have a integrated dac/amp on the way, the Centrance DACmini CX.  I ordered that to drive my HD650's.  Do you think there'd be an improvement using say the MAD Ear HD's with the dac/amp unit?  I'm not sure if theres any benefit to adding a standalone amp to an integrated dac/amp.

- Tim

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #13 of 14
I liked the RS-1 with the Gilmore Lite when I had it, but with the Flat pads ONLY. With the bowls... hell naw... already found it too bright with the bowls and GL won't hide that.

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
Hi guys,
           I have a pair of Grado RS-1's myself.  I have yet to pair them up with a decent amp.  I have a integrated dac/amp on the way, the Centrance DACmini CX.  I ordered that to drive my HD650's.  Do you think there'd be an improvement using say the MAD Ear HD's with the dac/amp unit?  I'm not sure if theres any benefit to adding a standalone amp to an integrated dac/amp.

- Tim

Heck ya! The MAD Ear+HD was the best RS1 amp I've heard them with. SS+RS1s can be a bit too bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back