Manley Absolute Loaner Program
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 65
I was confused about the FB control thinking turning it all the way CW was at 10DB of feedback. EveAnn Manley can correct me if I'm wrong but i think it's the opposite of what everyone thinks.

Variable Feedback Control (FB)
MIN 0dB =FULLY CW (loudest)
MAX 10dB = FULLY CCW (10 db less loud)

If you set FB control to 12:00 O'clock (total amount of FB is around 5dB), if you set it to 3:00 O'clock (clockwise) you are decreasing the amount of feedback (around 2 db) hence gets louder.

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #32 of 65
Variable Feedback Control (FB)
MIN 0dB = FULLY CW (loudest)
MAX 10dB = FULLY CCW (10 db less loud)

If you set your FB control at 12:00 O'clock (total amount of FB is around 5dB), if you set it to 3:00 O'clock (clockwise) you are decreasing the amount of feedback (around 2 db) hence gets louder.

It's the opposite of what everyone thinks. If i'm wrong EveAnna Manley will correct me

Attachments

• 32007728_Unknown.jpeg
    32007728_Unknown.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 32007776_Unknown 2.jpeg
    32007776_Unknown 2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #33 of 65
I just re-read the manual & you are correct, clockwise is less feedback, not more.
I'll re-edit my post.

"The Absolute allows you change the amount of negative feedback from 10db to no feedback at all or 0db. Turning the control clockwise decrease the feedback."

So all the way to the left is negative feedback at +10db.
At 12 O'clock, it is negative feedback at 5dB.
All the way to the right, it is Zero/No negative feedback at all?

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #34 of 65
D8000 over the Susvara.

For months I had the same dilemma; D8000 or Susvara. The former impressed me a lot to a point where I consider it one of the best ones out there, but today I don't miss it. Susvara on the other hand... that's a different story. I'm all set to snatch this one very soon.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Apr 1, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #35 of 65
For months I had the same dilemma; D8000 or Susvara. The former impressed me a lot to a point where I consider it one of the best ones out there, but today I don't miss it. Susvara on the other hand... that's a different story. I'm all set to snatch this one very soon.
Yea, the Susvara sounds so awesome to my ears.

Apr 17, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #37 of 65
I beg to differ. I used to have the D8000s and the biggest gripe I have about them is the midbass hump. Some users might like it for the extra warmth it injects into the music but I'm not a big fan of that. I tried a bunch of different amps with it while I still had them, namely the GSX MkII, RNHP, NFB1AMP and Precision 3S, and to my ears it doesn't scale very well. It does retrieve a ton of details but overall my HE6 has it beat in both bass speed and quantity. The thing about higher end hifimans is that you can 'cheat' with speaker amps due to their low sensitivity, but for D8000 that's a no-go as it hisses like mad on any speaker amps.

Regardless, its still a really well engineered planar. More suitable for traditional headphone amps than speaker amps.
That counter strike avatar gets me every time as a counterstrike competitive player all my life i can get a good laugh from it.

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #38 of 65
That counter strike avatar gets me every time as a counterstrike competitive player all my life i can get a good laugh from it.
ikr, nothing beats 1.6 l33t. N0THING.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #39 of 65
Just got the amp today. Initial impression is very positive, these are everything a tube amp can dream of without the typical downsides.

Nov 20, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #40 of 65
Just finished my loan period a couple of weeks ago as the last one to borrow the Manley Absolute.

I've got nothing but great things to say about this little amp.

First, let's talk build quality. Despite looking delicate, it feels very solid and durable. The handles provide more than adequate support for the weight of the product and never felt like they would break during transport to different locations in my house. Unlike some tube amps I have owned or listened to in the past, the tube sockets on the Absolute grip the pins of the tubes snugly. This certainly adds to the general impression that the Absolute is certainly a premium product build for the most observant and meticulous audiophile. The horizontal volume knob rotates very smoothly with lights indicating the volume level. A very nice touch to those that prefer to adjust volume with a knob over the easy to use remote included with the Absolute.
If I had to criticize something about the layout, I'd say that I did not enjoy the fact that the headphone outputs were located in the rear side of the amplifier. While this may be great for hiding cables and presenting the amp in a more aesthetically pleasing manner, it made it a pain to place the amp in a rack space and try a few different headphones.

Moving on to the sound. My only amp to compare the Absolute against was the DNA Stratus, but I found that it was a worthy competitor to the Absolute. I listened to the Absolute with the Hifiman HE-1000 V1 and the Sennheiser HD800. DAC - Holo Audio Spring Level 3 KTE edition with mostly DSD128 or DSD256. I mostly listened to the Absolute in Push-Pull mode because the contrast of the Absolute in that mode versus the Stratus (SET) was very noticeable. In Push-Pull mode, I found the Absolute very detailed, fast, and spacious, but at the same time laid-back and not at all fatiguing with any genre of music. It could work as an amp that functioned to present music as "background music" while focusing on another task, but could also work as a critical listening device when focusing solely on the music. Despite the description I provided above, the Absolute in Push-Pull was very musical and I didn't ever feel like I was analyzing tracks instead of listening for enjoyment. Even with the maximum output of 1W, I didn't feel like the HE-1000 was constrained in any way. The bass was still visceral, tight, and pounding with authority.
The Stratus contrasts the Absolute by being very engaging, lively, and with an intimate soundstage rather than expansive. I felt like the Absolute's expansive soundstage allowed me to easily spatial locate instruments, while the Stratus portrays instruments as if they are played in a small venue. For solo vocal tracks, I preferred the Stratus' engaging sound signature, but the Absolute performed very admirable over a longer period of time. I felt like neither amp heavily colors the sound, though the Absolute may overall be a tad warmer than the Stratus.

I felt like the Absolute paired ideally with the HE-1000, while the HD800 pairs better with the Stratus.

I played with the EQ a little bit (didn't mess with the feedback too much) and was pleased with the slight coloration without any noticeable loss in sound quality. Of course, EQ has always been a subjective matter, so I will leave it at that.

In conclusion, I'd give this amp a 9/10. The point docked was due to highly subjective layout design decisions. Some may complain about the $4,500 price but, It's essentially 2.5 amplifiers in one small footprint chassis. You have a push-pull amplifier, a SET amplifier, and a ton of EQ controls that are masterfully implemented. This amp is extremely versatile and I could certainly see this to be an amp I'd purchase if my headphone stable grew any larger.

876A1677-2572-425D-BDC0-B10E18A1638D.JPGIMG_5791.jpegIMG_5790.jpeg

Nov 21, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #41 of 65
Just finished my loan period a couple of weeks ago as the last one to borrow the Manley Absolute.

First, let's talk build quality. Despite looking delicate, it feels very solid and durable. The handles provide more than adequate support for the weight of the product and never felt like they would break during transport to different locations in my house. Unlike some tube amps I have owned or listened to in the past, the tube sockets on the Absolute grip the pins of the tubes snugly. This certainly adds to the general impression that the Absolute is certainly a premium product build for the most observant and meticulous audiophile. The horizontal volume knob rotates very smoothly with lights indicating the volume level. A very nice touch to those that prefer to adjust volume with a knob over the easy to use remote included with the Absolute.
If I had to criticize something about the layout, I'd say that I did not enjoy the fact that the headphone outputs were located in the rear side of the amplifier. While this may be great for hiding cables and presenting the amp in a more aesthetically pleasing manner, it made it a pain to place the amp in a rack space and try a few different headphones.

Moving on to the sound. My only amp to compare the Absolute against was the DNA Stratus, but I found that it was a worthy competitor to the Absolute. I listened to the Absolute with the Hifiman HE-1000 V1 and the Sennheiser HD800. DAC - Holo Audio Spring Level 3 KTE edition with mostly DSD128 or DSD256. I mostly listened to the Absolute in Push-Pull mode because the contrast of the Absolute in that mode versus the Stratus (SET) was very noticeable. In Push-Pull mode, I found the Absolute very detailed, fast, and spacious, but at the same time laid-back and not at all fatiguing with any genre of music. It could work as an amp that functioned to present music as "background music" while focusing on another task, but could also work as a critical listening device when focusing solely on the music. Despite the description I provided above, the Absolute in Push-Pull was very musical and I didn't ever feel like I was analyzing tracks instead of listening for enjoyment. Even with the maximum output of 1W, I didn't feel like the HE-1000 was constrained in any way. The bass was still visceral, tight, and pounding with authority.
The Stratus contrasts the Absolute by being very engaging, lively, and with an intimate soundstage rather than expansive. I felt like the Absolute's expansive soundstage allowed me to easily spatial locate instruments, while the Stratus portrays instruments as if they are played in a small venue. For solo vocal tracks, I preferred the Stratus' engaging sound signature, but the Absolute performed very admirable over a longer period of time. I felt like neither amp heavily colors the sound, though the Absolute may overall be a tad warmer than the Stratus.

I felt like the Absolute paired ideally with the HE-1000, while the HD800 pairs better with the Stratus.

I played with the EQ a little bit (didn't mess with the feedback too much) and was pleased with the slight coloration without any noticeable loss in sound quality. Of course, EQ has always been a subjective matter, so I will leave it at that.

In conclusion, I'd give this amp a 9/10. The point docked was due to highly subjective layout design decisions. Some may complain about the $4,500 price but, It's essentially 2.5 amplifiers in one small footprint chassis. You have a push-pull amplifier, a SET amplifier, and a ton of EQ controls that are masterfully implemented. This amp is extremely versatile and I could certainly see this to be an amp I'd purchase if my headphone stable grew any larger.

Excellent input. I love mine. The push pull does pull most duties but the SE with varying ranges of feedback really shines with simpler arrangements, especially acoustic and female vocal type stuff. Also, don't forget it can be used as a preamp in a speaker or other system. The remote rocks.

As far as feedback goes, it helps a lot with SE to tighten it up a bit. A little goes a long way. In all modes, a couple dB of feedback does tighten up the bottom end especially with heavier music.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 1:57 PM Post #42 of 65

An excellent headphone amp that works great with the most demanding headphones I have from the Focal Utopia, to the HE-6 original and the current edition Abyss. Excellent depth, width and layering, and dynamics. Very enjoyable.

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #43 of 65
Hi All,

I think very highly of the Absolute. It drove all of my headphones with ease and they all sounded excellent with the Absolute. The headphone characteristics were all there and the amp did not color them unless I adjusted the sound via the tone controls or switching from push-Pull to Single Ended. I must say I enjoy listening to the amp a lot and will continue to until my loaner Absolute sells - it is available right now in our USED/Sales gear for $3600 with an additional 12% off the already low price with this code 12%OFF.

Todd

Aug 29, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #44 of 65
Hello there, it’s been a long time since anyone has posted here! Why I wonder?

Well, if there are people out there enjoying this amp, I wonder if anyone has tried it using a Chord Dave, Sen 800S or Oppo PM2’s, or some other combinations that would include at least one of these items.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #45 of 65
Hello there, it’s been a long time since anyone has posted here! Why I wonder?

Well, if there are people out there enjoying this amp, I wonder if anyone has tried it using a Chord Dave, Sen 800S or Oppo PM2’s, or some other combinations that would include at least one of these items.

Your thoughts please.

Thanks
I have been using the iBasso DX220Max (line out to the ABsolute) with excellent results.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back