Man enters elevator...
Apr 22, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #2 of 21
Saw this a few days ago, and the accompanying essay is a great (if hardly uplifting) read.
Pretty darn sinister, the whole thing, especially the crews working on the other 3 elevators and ignoring his one.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 21
Huh. So he never pees or poops for 41 hours? I'm not sure I buy it. Also, why didn't he just leave out the access panel above the elevator?

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 21
cash68: I think he pees in the elevator shaft, but there's no slow-motion or close-up there (you want one or something?), and it looks like he tried to go out of the topside of the elevator numerous times. Horrible but also funny at the same time.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh. So he never pees or poops for 41 hours? I'm not sure I buy it. Also, why didn't he just leave out the access panel above the elevator?

It was locked, I think after 9/11 there was a policy put in place where access panels couldn't be opened readily to prevent terrorists from planting bombs that lie in wait.

I feel sorry for that guy his life was ruined after that, if you think about it two days is the amount of time you get in isolation in prison.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by funniecow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was locked, I think after 9/11 there was a policy put in place where access panels couldn't be opened readily to prevent terrorists from planting bombs that lie in wait.

I feel sorry for that guy his life was ruined after that, if you think about it two days is the amount of time you get in isolation in prison.

9/11/2001, this guy was stuck in an elevator in 99

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 21
Poor guy!
I would have snapped long before 40 hours have passed.

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
9/11/2001, this guy was stuck in an elevator in 99

Mai bads
tongue.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 21
In undergrad, a guy got stuck in the elevator between floors for a few hours. We managed to pry the doors apart six inches or so and passed in food and drink, then hung out and chatted while they worked to get him out.

It might be a good idea to carry a lighter. You could always use it to set off a fire alarm. Those usually get noticed.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

According to the article by law the access panel is required to not only be locked but bolted shut from the outside. Evidently its purpose is to let emergency personel get into the elevator, not let someone get out.

Apr 22, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In undergrad, a guy got stuck in the elevator between floors for a few hours. We managed to pry the doors apart six inches or so and passed in food and drink, then hung out and chatted while they worked to get him out.

It might be a good idea to carry a lighter. You could always use it to set off a fire alarm. Those usually get noticed.

he had a lighter/matches with him. he didnt want to be caught smoking so he never used them. didnt have a watch or a cell phone so he really could not tell any time niether.

i would say its his own fault for being locked in for that long, maybe won't be so easy to get free but he still had options.

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
he had a lighter/matches with him. he didnt want to be caught smoking so he never used them. didnt have a watch or a cell phone so he really could not tell any time niether.

i would say its his own fault for being locked in for that long, maybe won't be so easy to get free but he still had options.

I disagree. The man was on an express elevator, in between the few floor stops it made, the escape hatch was locked from the outside, and he had the emergency alarm ringing for almost 30 hours. Short of lighting something on fire to set off an additional alarm (what would happen if he couldn't stop the fire...) I don't see what this man could have done to lessen his time in entrapment.

Granted, I'm no McGyver, and perhaps there are other obscure ways to escape an elevator, but I can't see how you can blame the guy for being trapped as long as he was.

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #15 of 21
They LOCK the freaking access panels?!

OMG. That is totally ridiculous. I don't think I'm going to take an elevator again for a very long time. Screw that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back