Making studio headphones more airy
Nov 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 7
You could try a different pad but whatever modifications you make will sacrifice qualities that make the M40x one of the best values in headphones. You are looking for something open backed if you want airy with a wider soundstage.

Nov 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah.. I knew before i bought them that open back headphones have a wider soundstage, But i am walking with them outside in buses and so on, So i have got to have good isolation. They are great besides that. I listen to classical music and i can hear every detail (Maybe a little bit warmer sound could be better). When i have budget i'll buy open back too.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4 of 7
You could always try using EQ. If you boost the highs around 15kHz you will get more of a sense of "air" in your music. Also, soundstage and bass seem to be inversely related. Headphones with more bass tend to sound more closed-in, even if they are open-back headphones. However, bassier headphones tend to isolate better in noisy environments, since closed headphones block out little-to-no low-frequency sound. It is up to the bass, then, to mask low-frequency noise.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 7
The M40x already has a lot of upper treble energy making it sound a little artificial. I would actually being down the upper treble to make it sound more realistic and bring it more in line with the smooth mids. I own the M40x so that's what I'd suggest.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 7
The M40x already has a lot of upper treble energy making it sound a little artificial. I would actually being down the upper treble to make it sound more realistic and bring it more in line with the smooth mids. I own the M40x so that's what I'd suggest.

You are absolutely right. But i lose some brilliance when lowerning high frequencies. Still it makes the ATH-m40 sound more natural and airy (I am lowering 4406Hz  and 10170Hz)

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 7
I would lower more like 10-20k by around 3-6 dB or so. The upper mids are already smooth and in the background. Not sure why you feel the need to pull down 4k. If you want more detail and a lifelike presentation you just need cans that can do it properly without EQ :wink:. In all honestly EQ is a band aid at most for a lot of headphones and it is a significantly better experience to have cans that naturally sound airy without being artificial. That's not to say the M40x aren't pleasing because they are. They just don't sound as real, as say, my Q701's highly extended and ultra fast treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back